PDA

View Full Version : Brave or Crazy Rock Fisherman

vandoo
15-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Would you venture out in these conditions?

http://www.bragnrelease.com/forum/member_video_view.asp?VideoID=169

vando

bdowdy
15-01-2008, 01:01 PM
bloody fool if you ask me. they were talking about this sort of stuff the other day saying how unresponsible people taking risks and other people trying to save the fools when they know its wrong,and paying for there own rescues.?????? thats my point anyhow.cheers bdowdy..brett

stonecold
15-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Fairly safe to say the guy is a lunatic

TonyM
15-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Rockfishing can be great fun although you need to have your brain engaged and be sensible about it - this bloke doesn't fit in that category at all!

What a d$%%^*d

4x4frog
15-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Looks like it's going to be 100% for the vote, he's a ########, or worse.
It's all fun until the turkey gets into trouble and the VMR/AirSea rescue have to fish him out of the briney.
I think there should be some sort of guideline set in place for rescues and who pays. If you go out in winds of more than say 30kn and high seas or bad weather you should be made to foot the bill. If the weather is the fault of the WB's error, and you get caught out you are not liable.

JEWIENEWIE
15-01-2008, 02:58 PM
What a complete noodle. I can only hope that that fish was a happy moment.;D
Jewie

Leighton
15-01-2008, 03:05 PM
another clip from a Jacka$$ movie

Pistol_P
15-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Fishing from rock ledges in swell like that is just plain stupidity.....The fellow has an obvious death wish.

Pete

Vindicator
15-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Spose he thinks it was worth it for the fish. bl@@dy idiot.

Cheers
Kezza

disorderly
15-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Looks like it was more about the adrenaline rush then the fishing.
Thats cool ,as long as he doesn't expect his mates to go in after him if he ends up in the drink.

reelemin1974
15-01-2008, 09:24 PM
I just think he is a macho D***. What sort of loser fishes with that sort of risk for that sort of fish?

Kind of like how I don't understand why people go offshore and are pleased to come home with a feed of flatties??? Someone should tell them you can catch flatties in your local creek!!

Anyway, I think he is a dumb ass and I am sure will come unstuck sooner or later.

Far side
16-01-2008, 05:30 AM
Good to see some darwinism in action
The stupid really do die early in life

Flex
16-01-2008, 05:55 AM
My great Uncle retired a year ago, moved from england to a little fishing village in south America. His second day into retirment went fishing down the rocks and died... happened in the blink of an eye.

anyone who risks their lives like that is selfish and a complete idiot.

vandoo
16-01-2008, 08:36 PM
here's the response from the guy who was there:

quote:

In response to numerous comments as to my sanity or lack thereof, here’s the story behind the video.

I grew up less than 1 mile from this spot and have fished from this rock since I was 12 years old. As young kids in the local surf club, we’d come here to body surf bigger waves than these, back into the deeper waters behind where we fish. While I don’t advocate reckless behaviour on the rocks, I have been a rock fisherman all my life and I figure I’d be the best judge of a situation that I put myself into.

I knew the tides, the wind, the swell, I watched it for 1 hour. There was a ground swell, so there was always that possibility it could get lumpy, even though the tide was well on the way down. Accordingly, I told the others not to fish unless I gave then the nod …….. and the rest you saw.

The freak set I said could be a possibility, became a reality, so rather than surf it effortlessly to the deeper pool behind, I instead confronted it and saw it through. It’s no giant feat or act of irresponsibility either, it’s just a bit of fun at a fishing spot I love and know like the back of my hand.

End quote.

vandoo

vandoo
16-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Hi all.

I know the guy that did the deed. I know the guy that filmed it. To assume that this is how the angler lives his life is folly. To assume that this is how he get his jollies is presumptive. To regognise the man is an experienced angler who can handle himself when found in a tight spot is my privilege.

vando.

Pistol_P
16-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Vando...

I fished the Sydney rocks VERY hard for Years...
I fished with guys who had done SERIOUS amounts of time on the rocks and had done years and years of rock fishing.
They all had their share of scares and some had gone in.
I had a nasty skid across the rocks at 'Yellow Rock' and managed to cut myself quite badly.....Many others died there.
ANY experienced rock fisherman would look at that footage and say that this fellow is an obvious idiot and question why..?
If you have have ever fished the rocks yourself you should know all it takes is a nock on the head and before you know it you are in the water.
It happens in the blink of an eye and I can still remember the wave that caught me on a very flat day too.
The other rediculous thing is....is you cant even fish effectively is such wild conditions....... I dont know how he can label it fun.....God only knows what he is doing there.::) ::)

Pete

stonecold
17-01-2008, 06:31 AM
I agree with Pete...It was fairly obvious to me that there was a deep behind him and it become apparent that the tide was fallng throughout the clip. I didnt assume he was inexperienced. My first thought was that this guy obviously knows what he is doing...

However as Peter says it doesnt take much of a hit on the stones to knock you out...in my opinion he took a risk which he really didnt have to, as he was experienced his risk wasnt as great as some of our newer imports. However, no fish, is worth putting yourself in that sort of danger for,
Someone with his experience should know better than that. I hope my son doesnt see the clip and then assume that he can do the same when fishing from the rocks

JEWIENEWIE
18-01-2008, 11:07 AM
I have surfed all my life and it is easy for me to tell if someone is an experienced surfer by the way they carry there board, i feel it is the same in fishing. You can tell if some one is an experienced fisherperson by the way he fishes.
You tell me if he looks experience or not.
Experienced or not, still a stupid thing to be doing in my opinion.
Jewie

Pistol_P
18-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Vandoo.....It looks very much like a spot I used to fish and gather cabbage at....
Was it at South Coogee...?......Where you walk down some stairs onto the rocks..?......Honeycombe they call it.

To be fair the guy looks like he knows what he is doing fishing wise...
You can see he has fished for niggers before and he has the right technique etc....using his rod and washing the fish up etc.....

But at the end of the day they are blackfish and can easily be caught in nicer conditions...There is just no need to put yourself at risk like that...
In the second clip he is even turning his back to the water frequently when landing his fish......Very dangerous....Once you are in it aint that easy to get back out.

Pete

reelemin1974
19-01-2008, 07:01 AM
I don't care if he thinks he's so crashhot, I still think he is a macho d***. Theres plentyof 18yo's out there that will tell you how great they are too

Vitamin Sea
19-01-2008, 10:47 AM
idiot, you read about them in the paper all the time.

No fish is worth dieing for

Regards

Flex
19-01-2008, 01:32 PM
First thing I would think of when confronted with a dangerous situation. Would your Wife, kids and extended family allow you to take such a risk?

Is a bit of fishing worth the total ruination of your family? think of others and how your actions affect them before you do stupid things IMO.