PDA

View Full Version : Installing Pedestal Seats

dnej
14-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Is there a right and wrong way to fix the base of a pedestal seat,to a fibreglass floor?
Is there a need,for ply to be installed,between the base and the glass?
David

Grand_Marlin
14-01-2008, 09:58 AM
G'day Dave,

Generally the pedestals will bolt directly to the floor with stainless coach screws (not self tappers)
It will depend on the thickness and quality of the floor.
If you screw to a thin or rotten floor, the screws will pull straight out.
If this happens then you can glass in a ply spacer ring to give more support (you can if you choose do this from the start, but usually not necessary)

Clean up the area underneath where it is to be mounted - use acetone.

Mark and drill your holes for the coach screws - only drill something llike a 1/8 pilot hole and let the screws really "bite" into the timber.

Use plenty of Sikaflex 291 as this will act as an adhesive as well as a sealant.
Put Sika in the screw holes and on the screws to help seal the holes as best as you can.

If you have a removable ply floor in an aluminium boat, it would pay to use bolts and big washers / backing plate, instead of coach screws.

Cheers

Pete

dnej
14-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi Pete,
Thanks for the post. Why not self tappers?
It is my brothers boat. He was on the course with us with Bill.

The old seats were fixed with a huge arse metal round plate,and steel post.The boat is 30 years old,and the floor is in good nick.
The base of the new pedestals,have counter sunk holes,and well gusseted.

When he cut the bolts off the old ones,there was a ply base,under the steel,that is why I was wondering if this need to be replaced.

I appreciate your help
Regards David

Grand_Marlin
14-01-2008, 02:36 PM
No need, assuming they are the newer type aluminium pedestals... they are self supporting by design.

Coach screws are far better as they have a much deeper thread which will hold better in this type of installation.
I use them when installing toilets as well.

Has he got the pedestals yet?
I have a couple of near new ones in the shed that he can have cheap if they are of use to him.

Cheers

Pete

dnej
14-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Pete,
Yes they are aluminium.He had some given to him as a present. but thanks any way.
Are the screws you are talking about,counter sunk?
David