PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Kayaks

basswulf
08-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Hi all, new to the site and seeking some help...
I am considering buying a Kayak for light Bass fishing there are couple of great looking Australis Bass Kayaks on Ebay at the moment but i have little experience and would hate to part with the $500 - $600 and be dissappointed. Has anyone had any experience with these? Are they stable? Roomy?

Any help would be gretaly apprciated.

Cheers.

joeT
08-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Before buying its probably best to try out the kayak for yourself to see if its stable enough and suits your needs. Try a few hire places often they have a selection and some may even be for sale. Different kayaks behave quite differently.

Ebay is probably not the best place to buy your first kayak, chances of being disappointed are high.

I try to stick with the motto, 'good things aren't cheap, cheap things aren't good'. You do get what you pay for, and unless you just want to paddle in a lake or pond, a good kayak would start closer to $1k.

Flattie Assassin
09-01-2008, 07:20 AM
Sit on tops are better for fishing Kayaks. Make sure you get something stable first time up, or you will regret it.

FA

flyin marlin
09-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Basswulf, i have the Australis sit in kayak but also have a ocean kayak which is a sit on .Although the australis tracks well and is very stable it lacks leg room to move around,less storage area,it gets quite hot in the cockpit and i was always afraid if i tip the kayak i would have to swim to it back to shore to rid of water from the cockpit(this never happen but the thought was always there).therefore the ocean kayak (sit on ) wins hands down for the biggest reason that if you fall out you can jump straight back on.they have also great open storage and when you have been in the kayak for awhile you are able move your legs around(this is great for stopping the cramps settling in and preventing a sore arse).basically as as joelT explain a good kayak starts at $1k and it does make a big difference especially if you are planning on using it alot.

basswulf
09-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback all...
My budget has me spending around the $500-600 mark. Cant really justify spending much more than that. I have researched pretty extensively and as far as i can see, generally for the $$$ and purpose there isnt much better around.
Really appreciate the help.

Cheers.

Gigantor
13-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Basswulf,

Not sure if you've purchased anything yet? But also have a look on Trading Post online (www.tradingpost.com.au (http://www.tradingpost.com.au)).

I've bought 2 second hand kayaks via this site over the past few years and they have both been in excellent condition at a very good price.

Cheers,

Pete

shappy
13-06-2008, 06:37 PM
g'day basswulf,

i am after my first kayak myself. i am a month or two from having enough money saved. i set a buget of $1k. i have been reading and searching the net for some time know. last sunday a kayak shop had an open day at the waterfront. i went down there to try out the viking tempo, as it looked like what i was after for fish off and at a good price.
i tryed it and was really good. i also tyred the newly released misson catch 390, about $400 to $500 dollars more. i will now be 2 to 3 months off because i will be saving for the mission. after paddleing the two i really know what i want now.
what i am trying to say is don't limit your selection buy buget. i know that time waiting a bit more is going to be worth it when i am paddling the waters!!

cheers mate, good luck with it. shappy

jaredluke
14-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Have you looked at the dagger voyager's. I own one and it is a great yak for fishing in, the standard model without fishing rod holders etc. sells for around 600 while the fishing model sells for around 950. You can just install rod holders anyway.

davo
14-06-2008, 03:45 PM
For my first Kayak I have a Perception Acadia 280 sit in. I have a boat so I wanted a bass/bream boat to use in small water. I very happy. It's very comfortable. Hiring first is the way to go. The one thing that stood out was that I needed a longer paddle that I first thought. I've caught a few fish out of mine and love it. Obviously if any open water is involved then sit on is the way to go.

Kayak fishing is very addictive.

SirFishalot
14-06-2008, 04:35 PM
As Gigantor said the trading post is worth a look, picked mine up off there a couple years back was brand new cost $500.:o Theres bargins out there if your put in the time to look, every few weeks good buys come along. But if you have extra money and dont like waiting go new!