PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Robbery at my house

Jpart11
02-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Hi all
Thought i would let every body know that the other night my fishing gear was robbed. I lost 5 rods a large tackle box my sounder screen out of the boat and my ebirb plus the bastards stole my bungs well over $1000 worth of gear gone like last weeks pay as jason kennedy would say... i live 300 metres from the road have 2 intimadateing dogs and yet they still break in. My gears was out on the rocks beside the boat next to my house drying after i cleaned it from a trip to the bay last thursday i went to put it all away a couple days after and i realised it was gone. Please people im letting every 1 know dont leave any gear out no matter how far you are from the road or how protected your property is...

Has this happened to any body before and how have they dealt with meaning is it covered in contents insuarance???

Jpart11

krazyfisher
02-01-2008, 01:30 PM
should be covered under house and contents insurance.....as long as you had it in a safe place

Leighton
02-01-2008, 01:38 PM
that sucks, what area are you in? Like Krazy said, might be covered.

jtpython
02-01-2008, 01:48 PM
My mate had a 40 hp yamaha outboard stolen off the back of his tinny on the 21st of december .
His house and contents insurance wouldn't cover it because his boat was not insured , lesson there maybe?
JT

ismail82
02-01-2008, 01:54 PM
My brother in laws place was complete ransacked by some bastards early december. Stole well over $2000-00 worth of fishing gear. ***** even stole baby food for my two neices. Anyway now insurance company being a pain as always and has thus far rejected claim even there are incoives for fishing gear. Good luck with them.

Jpart11
02-01-2008, 02:08 PM
yer thats right hopefully i live arround the springfield area in camira

Mr__Bean
02-01-2008, 02:31 PM
I hope you gave the dogs a foot in the arse.

- Darren

TheRealAndy
02-01-2008, 03:01 PM
I woke up one night to a noise on the veranda, thought I was hearing things and tried to nod off again only to see a siloutte in the window. A guy was trying to lift some rods but the line was tangled in a shut window. I open the door real quick and went after him (should of heard him scream!) but the little prick was to fast for me. Dont know what I would have done if I had caught him anyway, but it made me feel better. Since that night I have never left the fishing gear out.

ismail2, what insurance company is rejecting the claim? I am with RACQ and am now going to call them to make sure my gear is covered. A mate of mine was insured through AMP (I think) and he had some gear replaced.

rayken1938
02-01-2008, 07:56 PM
I had gear stolen from verandah of cabin at awoonga and NRMA ended up paying out. Key to the issue was that verandah had a gate in it that had a latch to keep it shut so it was deemed to be a lockable enclosure even though it was nit locked.
Took a bit of persistance but they ended up paying out. I only had invoices for some spinner baits but they accepted the full claim for the rod and reel and all lures $1200 worth.
They replaced all the gear rather than a cash payout.
Mate was with Alliance and they also paid out with reluctance and they made out cheque to local tackle store who quoted on missing gear.
If you havent reported to police they will not pay out. O found the police from Tannum Sands very helpful. They told me what to say to the insurance.
Cheers
Ray
Cheers
Ray

FNQCairns
02-01-2008, 08:03 PM
I had gear stolen from verandah of cabin at awoonga and NRMA ended up paying out. Key to the issue was that verandah had a gate in it that had a latch to keep it shut so it was deemed to be a lockable enclosure even though it was nit locked.
Took a bit of persistance but they ended up paying out. I only had invoices for some spinner baits but they accepted the full claim for the rod and reel and all lures $1200 worth.
They replaced all the gear rather than a cash payout.
Mate was with Alliance and they also paid out with reluctance and they made out cheque to local tackle store who quoted on missing gear.
If you havent reported to police they will not pay out. O found the police from Tannum Sands very helpful. They told me what to say to the insurance.
Cheers
Ray
Cheers
Ray

Hi Ray, what did the police say about how to handle the claim and jpart11 who is the mob that are not allowing your claim??

cheers fnq

russ81
02-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Hows it going guys

Jpart sorry about the gear mate its a shame that decent hard working blokes cant clean and dry gear without fear of having it knocked of.

I want to thank you guys for bringing up the insurance, It actually made me call my insurance provider immediately to make sure I'm covered . The one piece of advice they gave me was to photograph each individual piece of equipment to heap speed up the claims process.

Russ

ismail82
09-01-2008, 05:51 AM
TheRealAndy the Insurane company which is being a pain is Suncorp. Still battling with them. But then maybe it is just the assesor who is being a complete F****IT. He is just so arrogant and he is insistant we travel to all pawn brokers around the region to try and locate the gear. We have been to three already but still nothing but he still is being a pain.

rayken1938
09-01-2008, 07:12 AM
Hi Ray, what did the police say about how to handle the claim and jpart11 who is the mob that are not allowing your claim??

cheers fnqThey said to strongly point out that it was a lockable enclosure and dont call it a front patio which I was calling it when I was speaking to police.
They also advised to be persistant with them as they will probably try to wriggle out of paying out and to threaten going to the insurance ombudsman.
They do not like claims being escalated to the ombudsman as apparently the ombudsman puts out a yearly report and they hate to be named.
Cheers
Ray

snapperbasher
11-01-2008, 04:57 PM
sorry to here but suprised about suncorp they are usually very good!

reel scream
13-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Sorry to hear about your gear and the hassle with the insurance mob Jpart11.

I know you said you have two big dogs, but i still couldn't/ wouldn't be leaving my gear outside for a night or two.

Bloody hard lesson to learn.

Hope you get it sorted and ratchets screaming again soon.

Cheers Scott

maztez
13-01-2008, 09:10 PM
I had a 10hp merc pinched off a tinny a few years ago.some gear taken as well . My broker fixed the claim up under my household policy as the motor and gear was kept in the" pagola" and this formed part of the house as far as the policy covered.(I had no cover on the boat or gear ) I reported it to police who attended 6 days after the fact . Insurance paid out within a week of claim being lodged .
Cheers Terry

swabio
14-01-2008, 10:00 PM
TheRealAndy the Insurane company which is being a pain is Suncorp. Still battling with them. But then maybe it is just the assesor who is being a complete F****IT. He is just so arrogant and he is insistant we travel to all pawn brokers around the region to try and locate the gear. We have been to three already but still nothing but he still is being a pain.

A call to their complaints department.... and reference to lodging a report with the ombudsman should sort out any issues fairly quickly....

Sorry to hear about all the theft.... almost all my mates have had their places broken into at some stage down in canberra... it is getting ridiculous these days!

cptpott
27-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Just going the shed to photgraph all my gear now. Thanks fellas!

cormorant
27-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Hi Guys

Eventually some little "c " will steal something off you and the only revenge you can take is to have him caught with the stuff.

While you are photographing the gear mark it in some way, engrave your drivers lic number into it , buy a uv pen, or use a can of data dots spray so then the little scrote actually gets a conviction and the stores reselling the stuff get caught. Photograph it after you have marked it. Most little scrotes won't see the engraving and you have a chance of the police recovering and recognising your gear. I use some car pinstriping on all my gear so it looks as if it is original but at a distance I can see it is mine. If you can't positively identify it you can't recover it.

Hope the little mongrel gets tetnus and dies from a hook!!!

Noelm
31-01-2008, 08:30 AM
some insurance companies do not cover "watercraft accessories" (don't ask how I know) and my Fishing gear was classed as watercraft accessories by them, I argued (via a lawyer) that they are more Sporting equipment (which is covered) as you can fish with out a Boat! so how are they anything to do with the Boat, I had nearly $6,000 worth of gear stolen, so it was well worth the fight, which luckily I won after about 4 months, but the sounder was not covers, which I agreed was a "Watercraft Accessory" so be sure that any insurance is very clear when you take it out, especially Household coverage, it can be very easy for them to deny a claim based on their own interpretation of the Policy!

seamaid
01-02-2008, 02:27 PM
:(
Free loaders pinched a rear wheel off the tandum boat trailer &slashed the new tyres on the 4x4 because they could not get the security locking nuts off, some years ago and i am still not over it I know how yar felling leaves a bad taste.
Not to mention any company I contacted Head Office in Brisbane, results paid off.
Yes talk to the Butcher not the Block.
I wish you the best of luck.
Cheers Ged

Grand_Marlin
16-02-2008, 05:59 AM
My Brother has house & contents insurance and boat insurance with the same company.

He had his house broken into and they pinched some fishing gear and his sounder.

The fishing gear was covered on his contents insurance.

They wont cover his sounder on contents insurance as it is covered under the boat policy.

They wont cover it under the boat policy as it has to be on the boat, in a lockable cabin.

He was doing the right thing by removing it from the boat and locking it inside to make it as safe as possible and they have wriggled to get out of it.
He physically cant have any more insurance to cover this situation, but they insist it cant be covered.

.... yes, it is with the Ombudsman.

Cheers

Pete

cormorant
07-03-2008, 01:35 AM
My Brother has house & contents insurance and boat insurance with the same company.

He had his house broken into and they pinched some fishing gear and his sounder.

The fishing gear was covered on his contents insurance.

They wont cover his sounder on contents insurance as it is covered under the boat policy.

They wont cover it under the boat policy as it has to be on the boat, in a lockable cabin.

He was doing the right thing by removing it from the boat and locking it inside to make it as safe as possible and they have wriggled to get out of it.
He physically cant have any more insurance to cover this situation, but they insist it cant be covered.

.... yes, it is with the Ombudsman.

Cheers

Pete

Best of luck Pete and goo on ya for challenging them. Goo dto hear how you go as if anyone ever mentions mediation to me I'll rip their head off so hope the ombudsman is better

Corm

Crestcutter
08-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Word of warning, my mate has boat insurance for his tinny.If the tinny is not chained to a permanent structure on his property he cannot claim if it is stolen.

Read the fine print peoples.