PDA

View Full Version : outdone

ozbee
01-01-2008, 02:43 PM
:-/its always interesting when you take a novice out to the reef fishing you sure can expect the unexpected and sure enough it happened while re rigging his line for the hundred time:( doesn't matter how many times you say just keep it above the bottom anyhow a large cobia took my rod. After a reasonable lengthy fight i had him beside the boat. As i had braid and a shortish leader due to a previous shark encounter i was hesitant to let him hold it while i gaffed him after all he was still bleeding where he last hooked himself putting bait on his hooks. Of course the word went out can you gaff him ,no worries was the reply. WHACK went the seven foot gaff onto the cobia like a cricket bat to a ball.It didnt stick was the yell as one gently felt the end of the leader slide past and felt the braid bite in as cobia took off like a express train. With BLOODY FINGERS one crabs the rod in mid air and begins the battle all over again .With great controlled kindness one explains to lower the gaff below him and pull up with all your might after all he is a office worker . So there he was all prepared gaff sticking straight down next to the boat ,waiting yeah i know i still had to bring the fish in from his last run but hey surely he cant kill me in this position.

The big moment arrives as i gently guide the fish over the gaff . UP he heaves from the very depths comes the gaff and sure enough a five foot cobia comes crashing in the boat . he bolts for the front of the boat as this fish bounces around determined to break every thing it touches including my legs ,again i feel the leader pass through my fingers and the lovely feeling only braid can give as it cuts.

NOT again no way i wrapped that braid around my hand and pulled like hell.

In came another cobia yeah you guessed it he green hooked its mate swimming under neath it . all he said was mine is bigger than yours as i sat putting a half a dozen band aids on . i sure needed a beer after that.

petelaska
01-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Classic
what a great yarn.
Pete

Fish_gutz
01-01-2008, 04:13 PM
sounds like fun.......! also sounds like it could have been a lot worse! well done on the cobes and old mate has had a few quick lessons in getting the fish in the boat, next trip should go a bit smoother!

84mick
02-01-2008, 10:00 AM
lol good read, never caught a cobia before. Are they a dirty fighter or do they come in like a lump of weed?

Cheers, Mick. ;)

codz22
02-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Good yarn mate sounds like an interesting day was had, they gota learn off sum 1 though even if it hurts

SnagMaster
02-01-2008, 10:31 AM
LMAO 2 for 1 deal.