PDA

View Full Version : Evinrude Props?

Getout
27-11-2007, 07:10 PM
When I bought my Croozecraft 625 Outsider with 175 Etec, the dealer recommended the Viper 14 3/4 x 17" prop for offshore work.
I recently bought a spare prop so I went for the Rebel 15 1/2 x 17.
The Viper had been good, but I was hoping for even better speed and economy with the rebel as per the sales pitch.
The rebel is a tad faster at similar revs and appears to use a little less fuel per km but it ventilates at the original trim and mounting height a (due to larger diameter?) so I dropped the motor a hole. It was great in flat water but on my last trip in some really rough stuff, I found that the lesser bow lift produced by the rebel, made the boat run less comfortably because I had to use so much in-trim to control the ventilation going over waves.
I'm gonna change back to the Viper and raise the motor again because I think the dealer was right in the first place.
Anybody found the same?

deadbeatloser
27-11-2007, 08:35 PM
When I bought my Croozecraft 625 Outsider with 175 Etec, the dealer recommended the Viper 14 3/4 x 17" prop for offshore work.
I recently bought a spare prop so I went for the Rebel 15 1/2 x 17.
The Viper had been good, but I was hoping for even better speed and economy with the rebel as per the sales pitch.
The rebel is a tad faster at similar revs and appears to use a little less fuel per km but it ventilates at the original trim and mounting height a (due to larger diameter?) so I dropped the motor a hole. It was great in flat water but on my last trip in some really rough stuff, I found that the lesser bow lift produced by the rebel, made the boat run less comfortably because I had to use so much in-trim to control the ventilation going over waves.
I'm gonna change back to the Viper and raise the motor again because I think the dealer was right in the first place.
Anybody found the same?

m8 i would give nakita at solas props warana a call she will be able to put a few things straight for you , got to say she knows all about props you got nothing to lose and only info to gain, cheers

bustastu
27-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Just got a 14 3/4 x 19 Viper fitted to my Haines 580 Breeze running a 150 E-tec so hopefully will be able to go out for a run on friday to test it out.

2 "un-named" dealers warned me against SOLAS props, however I still went in there and had a chat. Very helpfull and didn't push their product to much.

BS

Noelm
28-11-2007, 09:31 AM
pich and diametre of propellors is quite a "science" and unless the same outfit has been tested to see what goes the best, then only RPMs can be the gauge, your motor MUST be able to reach full manufacturers RPM, do NOT think a bigger prop will get you better fuel economy because your RPM's have dropped, all you will achieve is a quick death for your Motor! but in saying that different props can transform a Boat quite dramticaly, and sometimes for the worse (your case)

Getout
28-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Both props behave within the rev range. The rakier blades of the viper seem to operate better near the surface, sucking less air.

marco
28-11-2007, 04:17 PM
getout , can i ask what your getting at wot .
i have the same setup as you but with the rebel 15 3/4 by 15p and i get 5200rpm and 64km/h ( 35knots ) .
handles great and good response with that but not real flash top end .

engine is 2nd hole down .
mark

FNQCairns
28-11-2007, 04:28 PM
getout , can i ask what your getting at wot .
i have the same setup as you but with the rebel 15 3/4 by 15p and i get 5200rpm and 64km/h ( 35knots ) .
handles great and good response with that but not real flash top end .

engine is 2nd hole down .
mark

Hi Mark unsolicited I know, but throw that prop and fit Get outs 17p, will transform your boat.

cheers fnq

marco
28-11-2007, 04:34 PM
hi fnq ,
i actually went from a 17p to the 15p , same wot , same fuel and better performance mid range

Getout
28-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Marco,
I get about 38 knots at 5250rpm (been a while, can't remember).
I reckon she'd do 40 with all the crap taken off -outriggers anchor chain,water fuel etc.
To be honest, I never run flat out anyway. 20-25kts is way fast enough outside. We burn 22l/hr at 3500RPM doing 22kts with a normal fishing load.
I want to go back to the viper to get a bit more bow lift.

FNQCairns
28-11-2007, 06:56 PM
hi fnq ,
i actually went from a 17p to the 15p , same wot , same fuel and better performance mid range

Ok cheers marco, you should get a far more econonical cruise from the 17p with a little less get up and go overall, your WOT is too low to be truthfull, it's a slog to get there I know and expensive.

cheers fnq

marco
28-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Ok cheers marco, you should get a far more econonical cruise from the 17p with a little less get up and go overall, your WOT is too low to be truthfull, it's a slog to get there I know and expensive.

cheers fnq

yea i know the wot is low and that was the reasoning behind going to the 15p , it didnt change at all and as i said the fuel is the same even at cruising but it did improve in performance in other areas .
wierd i know but at 700 bucks a throw , it is getting a bit much .
thanks for the input
cheers
mark

seamaid
28-11-2007, 07:47 PM
;D Today i tested in 15/20kts on a much smaller scale vessel
4.55 Quintrex with a 60hp E-TEC , 2 pob
137/8 x 16p sst gen evinrude cupped by Solas 17p back to 16p
Test (1) 137/8x16p 5300rpm 29mph using 1 litre for 1.2nms
Test (2) 137/8x15p 5500rpm 29mph === 1 = = 1.5 = ( VIPER )
the viper lifted the boat above with ease & less throttle than the sst 16p
Report back to dealer 29/11/07 boat under warranty
cheers Ged;D

Jabba_
28-11-2007, 09:43 PM
I also found the Viper to be the pick off the prop (That I tried) I am running a 21 Viper" pitch on a 250HP E-tec and I get 1.8km per ltr.. Not bad for a big donk...

I also found that the boat lifted easier on to the plane, and the prop held great in sharp full throttle turns...

The other prop I tried was a 22 raker, 23 raker and 19 ViperII.
the 19 ViperII was simply amazing in real tight corning.. I could liturly put the boat on it's side (the water was nearly touching the windscreen) and it would not cavitate.... I am hoping when I get my 21" ViperII it will have same characteristics..

I would love to try a Cyclone prop. I have been told they are very good

Getout
29-11-2007, 06:32 AM
Noelm, from the BRP operators manual:

IMPORTANT: The correct propeller for your
boat, under normal load conditions, will allow
the engine to run near the midpoint of the
RPM operating range at full throttle.
The recommended max RPM range is 4850 - -5850 RPM.
5350rpm is the middle of ther road