PDA

View Full Version : removing flat floor

hogesTS
19-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Hey all,

I am looking at getting a boat within the next few weeks to bring up to TI next year, the mrs is dead keen for a bowrider, but will settle for a runabout. So I have been looking at 5.4m+ models from the major manufacturers, but the main problem I keep coming up with is that most boats i find have a flat floor.

I am 6'2 and in the chop and slop up here there is no way you can sit down to drive, so I am wondering how hard it would be to change the floor to step down just in front of the seat mounts? Is it just a matter of removing the offending section, cutting a smaller section to fit say 6" below the floor level and boxing it in, or is there some major obstacle I am missing?

Cheers

Jeff

Noelm
20-11-2007, 07:51 AM
not too sure why being over 6' is stopping you from sitting or standing to drive?

timddo
20-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Jeff, get a high bimini and you will be fine. No need to crouch down to get some protection from the sun. I pretty much stand to drive except when looking for new ground.

hogesTS
20-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Its not so much a matter of fitting under the bimini, but actually being able to reach and use the steering wheel and throttle while standing with a flat floor. I was having a look at boats at the gold coast boat show a few months ago and those with flat floors had the steering wheel about mid-thigh on me.

ozbee
21-11-2007, 09:26 AM
get one with a higher console

mini696
21-11-2007, 10:03 AM
The first problem I see is the new"Footwell" filling with water.