PDA

View Full Version : VHF Radio Courses

TonyG
01-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Hi All,

I am currently on my L plates, so sorry if question seems a bit simple.

I am an experienced 4x4'er but novice on water.

I am in the process of purchasing my first boat, and the boat comes with a VHF radio.

Do I need a licence to use this frequency??

Or is there an organisation that runs a course on VHF radio frequency rules & regulations etc. (In the Redland Bay Area)

Whilst I was recently obtaining my boat licence at Cleveland, our instructor logged onto VMR to notify them of us entering the Bay, and logged off with VMR when we had finished.

I thought this was a great safety feature to utilise whilst out on the boat.

All advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Tony

rat_catcher
01-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Yes you have to get a 'Certificate of Proficiency'. It is not a license as such, but a way to ensure you know how to use the system. Sorry I can't help you with local course providers, but all of the details can be found here:

http://www.amcom.amc.edu.au/obtain_cert.html

Black_Rat
01-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Tony,

This is the course I mention about -> http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=115496

It's this Saturday which might be too late to book in but should be running other courses after this one. ;)

Hamish73
01-10-2007, 09:59 PM
I have done one of Lloyds coarses and can't speak highly enough of them, money well spent.

Marlin_Mike
02-10-2007, 05:42 AM
Lloyd sometimes has extra exam papers so contact him, you may be able to get in next saturday

Mike

subzero
02-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks fellas, I have contacted detailed and he will be attending.
Yes, i have ordered a couple of extra papers Grand_Marlin and also I have had 2 people pull out so I have a couple of spaces left if anyone wants them.
The next course will probably, BUT NOT DEFINITELY be on November 24th. If it is on that date it is liable to start 30 minutes earlier as I have an engagement party to go to that night. I will confirm it in a couple of weeks in a new post.

Cheers Lloyd