PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Crayfish Recipe

Richard
24-09-2007, 01:33 PM
Hi Everyone,

Those lucky enough to spear/catch crays (tropical or painted up here in Mackay) should give this recipe a go. It's fairly simple because you don't need to do much to crayfish flesh but it is fairly rich. Here it is:

Keep them green. Remove the tail section and remove the meat (jelly Tongue) and make sure you dig around in the head, legs and antenna as there is heaps of meat in there too.

Add all the cray's head and tail shell to a pot with 2 cups of water and 1 cup of white wine and an onion. Crush it all up and boil until there's about a cup of liquid left. Run it through a sieve to preserve liquid.

Cut tail meet into slices and pan fry extremely quickly with a little garlic until they're still a little rare.

Slice onion and lightly fry with a hint of chillie. Add a bottle of cream and a touch of sherry and then the cray liquid. Reduce to a very creamy sauce with a little chopped parsely. Cook fettucine until just done.

Add cray pieces to creme sauce and warm through and mix with fettucine.

Serve with a dry white or Chablis.

Guido
26-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Thanks Richard, i'll have to give this one a go. Have you tried it with large prawns at all (and their shells in the liquid mix), as the old cray is very hard to come by!?

Guido

Richard
26-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Havne't tried it with prawns yet but i guess it would work. Prawn flesh isn't as tasty but as long as you could get the stock working well it would be fine. Maybe add a little fish or oyster suace maybe ?

Richard

bondy99
06-10-2007, 10:36 PM
G'day Richard . I still have my speagun and snorkelling gear, but no boat. Would it be possible to team up one day and go out and catch some crays? I'll chip in for fuel costs. I live in Brisbane. Peter

Richard
07-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Might be a bit of a trip for you Peter as I live in Mackay.. Also, my boat is only a 4m tinny so I usually go out with mates chasing them in their boats. Wouldnt exactly like to try and go 30nm out in my boat :)

Richard

eimeo
09-10-2007, 12:18 AM
so when are we all coming around for tea then richard

bondy99
19-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Might be a bit of a trip for you Peter as I live in Mackay.. Also, my boat is only a 4m tinny so I usually go out with mates chasing them in their boats. Wouldnt exactly like to try and go 30nm out in my boat :)

Richard

That's true

Can you put my name down and send me a pm. Maybe sometime in March / April next year if there still around. Peter:)

Chris_2184
26-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Are u a spearo richard?

I spearfish off rockhampton coast.......keen as mustard to head up mackay way to put a few holes into some fish;D

my spearin mate down here's from mackay.....he's got a few spearo lads up there, should organise a trip