PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear Chooks wide of Noosa - Thursday 30th.

seapup
31-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Headed out wide yesterday to drop some Nuclear Chooks over board to catch a feed of Pearlies and Snaps. ;D Was slow heading out the river dodging logs and submerged trees after the flood. :o Once outside the bar we were punching into a sloppy easterly wind chop and a 15kt easterly wind which made the trip slow. :( We sat on 15-18knts the whole way with the 22ft glass hull throwing some big buckets! It took 2 hours to get to the first spot and we were rewarded with a good show. It took a couple of goes on the anchor to get us onto the fish as the wind and slop was making it hard to get into the exact position. Once on the fish we dropped the 7" Nuclear chooks overbaord and were connected onto Pearlies straight up. We pulled some keepers from this show then they went quiet and all we could pull were undersized Pearlies - even the undersize Pearlies were loving the 7" Nuclear Chickens!! We headed north 4 miles to a 10m ledge that had a good show. Got the anchor spot on first go and started burleying. Dropped the Nuclear chooks over board and connected onto to more Snaps and Pearls. Started fishing with bait and caught some more fish. Then the bigger fish stopped after dark and before the moon came up - we then got plagued by undersize Pearlies again. The wind was blowing solid 20knts from the east by now which made fishing tough.. I called one of pro mates who was out wider and he was over the slop also. I decided to pull the pin and head for home. It was a better home with the wind up our ass. :) It was great to connect to more fish on the plastics as they are so much fun and cant wait for the next trip!

Fixation
31-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Hey Ben,

Sounds like those NC's do the trick! I picked a bag of them up the other day and em keen to give em a try. Nice catch mate. Thanks for the read.

Regards,
Craig.

seapup
31-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Hay Craig you will be hooked once you catch your first fish on them!

Pistol_P
31-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Those photos came out pretty good Benny.....That one of your pearlie looks good with his huge gob open.
Good trip out again mate....But my body is feeling it today thanks to that nasty s/e......:o

Cheers
Pete

ffejsmada
31-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Good onya Ben, another good haul mate, well done!

Jeff.

seapup
31-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Dont worry Pete my body is aching also it was tough punching into that slop!

indy
31-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Ben nice haul there what size jig head are you using and what pound/kg main line are you using and also what type of leader and pound/kg.

Just went to b*f and A*art and couldn't get hold of any of the chooks they seem to be hot property thats three different places i have tryed to no avail, just have to keep trying i suppose.

cheers pete...

seapup
31-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Hay Pete. We were using 1 ounce jig heads with 30lb mono trace and 14 lb fireline. Have a look on the web at some of the online tackle stores for the Nuclear Cicken 7" plastics. I have heard a lot of tackle stores are selling out of the the Nuclear Chickens as they work so well.
Cheers,
Benny.

snipe
31-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Benny, youve gone soft. Harden the f*ck up

Regards

Bob

Tassie JR
31-08-2007, 06:00 PM
nice catch mate we also found that pearlys love the 7" nuke chooks.

cheers tassie JR

revs57
31-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Yeah good stuff Ben. The nuke chooks are going off.. One bloke at the boat show on Wednesday night came in and cleaned up all that sundown had in one hit. Over 20packets. They will be hot property! Good to see you among them...we hope to get out on monday weather and wife permitting

Cheers

Rhys

seapup
01-09-2007, 07:02 AM
Bobby Snipe when you coming out for a fish with me you soft c**t?

Thanks Rhys. I think I may stock up on the Nuclear Chickens as every tackle store I go into seems to sell out of them very quickly.
Good luck on your next trip.

Cheers,
Ben.

Lacey Blue Dog
01-09-2007, 07:09 AM
Hey Benny I was home yesterday arvo at my house and the trees and seabreeze/Di indicated there was no wind above 5 knots So I was kicking myself for not having a sickie. Just goes to show the wind can sometimes be way out wide when there is none close. Awsome pics and next time Ill have a one night flu so I can Go.. Well done BOYS

Lacey

seapup
01-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks Dazza! I am off to Indo soon to get some slabs so we will head wide when I get back. Buy a pack of 7" Nuclear Chickens to bring out ok.

Big_Ren
03-09-2007, 11:08 AM
The chickens are going ballistic.....great stuff Benny. Makes for an easier clean-up at the end of the day. The lime tigers are also good mate.

Cheers
Paul

seapup
03-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks Paul. Am taking some Lime Tigers out on my next trip to give them a go. The boat is definitely a lot cleaner when you use Plastics!
Cheers,
Ben.

stacer525
03-09-2007, 06:51 PM
hi ben,

nice catch mate,
keep trying the plastics out there but cant get a hook up,
they seem to smash of the tail then lose interest.

p.s still waiting for a couple of marks lol

cheers dave.

sempre
03-09-2007, 08:08 PM
What are you doing , Ben .
You've turned to the dark side !

seapup
04-09-2007, 07:01 AM
Hay Dave, Buy yourself a pack of 7" Nuclear Chickens and you will have success on the plastics guaranteed! What marks u talking about?? Lol!

Hay Sam, I have been converted as was sick of my boat stinking of dirty old Pillies after each trip! When you going to start using some Nuclear Chickens?

Cheers,
Benny.

Scalem
06-09-2007, 06:34 AM
hi ben,

nice catch mate,
keep trying the plastics out there but cant get a hook up,
they seem to smash of the tail then lose interest.

p.s still waiting for a couple of marks lol

cheers dave.

Dave, make sure the hook is big enough and slow your retrieve down.;) The tackle shops will sell them by the outer ( 6 packs per box) and give you better prices because they have not had to unpack them onto the shop floor. It's exciting fishing Seapup, good work!!

Scalem

seapup
06-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Hay Scalem its defintely very exciting fishing the old Plastic fishing!

craigie
06-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Guy's,

Any tips on where and how much for the best price on these 7" chooks ??

Cheers
Craigie.

seapup
07-09-2007, 06:40 AM
Hay Craigie,
I got them from our local tackle store "BARRA JACKS" in Noosaville. Call them on 54493666.
Cheer,
Benny.

Wazzup01
09-09-2007, 10:28 PM
How do you fish them. I am keen to give them a try on the reefies up in CQ.

Cheers
Wazzup

seapup
10-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi Wazzup,
I find most fish are taken on the drop - as we mainly catch Snapper and Pearlies around here they feed higher in the water column so its good to use lighter jig heads so the drop rate is slow and you have more chance catching one of these species. You will be catching Reds, Lippers etc in CQLD so you may use havier jig heads to get your plastic to the bottom quicker. When it touches the bottom give the rod a light flick to keep the plastic moving to excite the fish. Good luck!
Cheers,
Benny.