PDA

View Full Version : Help for Smoker design

gone_phishin
29-08-2007, 08:44 AM
G'day All

I'm trying to get some ideas for changing the attached water tank into a smoke house but as I have next to no knowledge at all about smokers I'm after some suggestions please on how to go about it. Dimensions are 1150mm diameter by 1650mm height and it has one opening in the top, one overflow pipe hole, and one bottom tap hole, and it is galvanised outside and is in very good condition. And no, I don't need it as a water tank as I already have 2 very large tanks and 2 dams:) !

Cheers
Geoff

zigfreed
29-08-2007, 09:05 AM
G'day Geoff

Mate dont mean to dampen your spirits on your project but dont use that tank as a furnace. When gal burns it lets off a poisionous gas/smoke which i am sure would transfer into your food and make you pretty crook or even worse if used over a period of time.

Have had gal posioning myself from welding and i can assure you it is not a pleasant experience.

There is two different types of smoking one being called cold smoking and is a slow process which takes many hours because the smoke is transferred via a pipe into the smoking chamber from a seperate furnace.

There is also a process called hot smoking where the fire and product are in the same tank but can be seperated by a baffle. Heat plays a major part in curing the product , hence making the process a lot quicker.

I know this doesnt answer your design question but it may help steer you in the right direction.

cheers

Mick

Noelm
29-08-2007, 09:07 AM
hhmm lots of stuff to know about smoking on a big scale like that, there is hot smoke, cold smoke, indiect smoke, all sorts of stuff, maybe best off to try to have a look at a comercial smoke house somewhere to see how they do it, I just use an old Webber BBQ and can smoke as much as you could possibly use in a couple of months, but I guess if you wanted to go semi commercial, then no reason not to use the tank, not too sure about the gal if you use a hot smoke setup.

Wahoo
29-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Geoff,
Google smokers, alot of ideas and pics

Daz

choppa
29-08-2007, 11:01 AM
if worse comes to worse geoff,,,,, i'll give ya a packet of smokes and buy the tank as well,,,,,,

bugger all water on bribie,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,>:( >:(

choppa

gone_phishin
29-08-2007, 11:07 AM
G'day Zigfreed

Never even gave the gal a thought! Ok...I guess I'll go back to square one and start smaller.

Cheers
Geoff

gone_phishin
29-08-2007, 11:09 AM
G'day Noelm

Just wanted to smoke a few Goldens so I reckon I'll probably get myself an old Weber from somewhere and put water in the tank eh!

Anybody want a water tank????

Cheers
Geoff

gone_phishin
29-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Gave up smokin 6 or 7 years ago choppa (thank gawd!) and if you want the tank I can probably push it into the southerly flow and get it to you that way!! Probably get stolen on the way though :o(

Geoff

choppa
29-08-2007, 12:01 PM
where are you located geoff,,,,,,

gone_phishin
29-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Bundaberg choppa...happy to swap for a good condition Weber::)

Geoff

Noelm
29-08-2007, 01:31 PM
if you want me to tell you how I use my old Weber, just let me know, I learned from a old Weber smoker expert from Caloundra, you see them all the time beside the road during the Council cleanups, that's where I got mine.

gone_phishin
29-08-2007, 01:40 PM
That would be great if you didn't mind Noelm...I'm certainly after as much as I can knowledge wise.

Cheers
Geoff

Why do you see old Weber smoker experts beside the road during Council cleanups? and why take one home??? Obviously their wives didn't want them stinking up their place eh?:D :D :D Sorry...couldn't help meself...Geoff

username_taken
29-08-2007, 02:25 PM
yeah I'd love to hear how you smoke with the weber too. I've got one of those Cobb things which is great, but sometimes I wish I had more space inside it.

Noelm
30-08-2007, 08:38 AM
OK here goes, first off the fish needs to be ready to smoke (of course) it is first "pickled" if you do not have that recipe, let me know and I will post it seperately, now, I use an old chip basket for my "coals" just put about 8 to 10 of those BBQ things that you buy in a bag, light them and wait untill they are fully White (no smell) move them to one side of the bottom of the barbie, get a lump of dry wood from the bush or somewhere , put it on the coals, fit the wire rack, place the fish, chicken meat whatever on the rack, close ALL the vents (and burn the sh!t out of your fingers doing it) put on the lid, go and have a few beers or watch TV or something for about 1/2 hour, lift the lid (again burning your hand because of the previously consumed beers) have a bit of a "test" but it should be cooked right through by now, lift it off the wire rack, once agin burning the buggery out of your fingers, wait to cool and enjoy, mind you a nice piece of fresh hot smoked fish is hard to resist, that is the basics, you might find your weber needs a bit less time or a few more heat thingys, or maybe a bit longer, but that will get you started, some good things to try as well as fish is chicken legs and pork ribs.

Noelm
30-08-2007, 08:45 AM
not too sure why you see them at cleanup time, I guess they seem like a good idea, then they don't get used much or something, but down my way you see a few, and at the recyclers at the dump is another place to find them, remember after you use it a few times for a smaker, it will be useless for anything else but smoking.

gone_phishin
30-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks Noelm!! Would you mind posting the "pickling" recipe as well?

Cheers
Geoff

Noelm
30-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Okey dokey, first off the fish must be cleaned and any blood meat cut off, unless you are doing whole fish or you want the skin on, for you guys up North Spotty Mackeral or great, for us Southerners Salmon, Tailer and so on are great, so now it is cleaned and ready to go, mix up half a cup of salt, half a cup white sugar, third cup brown sugar, 1 cup Soy Sauce and a litre of water, stir around untill it is all disolved, put the fish in the mixture, put it in the fridge overnight, next day, get them out, pat dry with paper towel and it is ready to smoke. Once you have done some, you may want to up the salt, or reduce the salt, l like the salt taste when smoked, also get elcheapo Soy as it is a lot cheaper, and you are going to chuck it away when finished. This recipe was given to my years ago by a mate in Caloundra and every time I go up there, I make sure it is Spotty Season if I can.

gone_phishin
30-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Cheers Noelm! The missus is in town picking up the heat beads and I'm heading for the tip when she gets home...then I guess it just means we'll have to go fishing to get some beasties to smoke! Your help is much appreciated.

Geoff

Noelm
30-08-2007, 03:32 PM
hope it all works out for you, just remember, you might have to adjust your heat beads or cooking time untill you get it all worked out to suit your setup, but it will give you a good head start.

gone_phishin
30-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Do you have any favourite timbers?? I'm sure I read somewhere that Pecan was supposed to be really good, and I have a big Pecan here so no problems with using that!

Cheers
Geoff

disorderly
30-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Do you have any favourite timbers?? I'm sure I read somewhere that Pecan was supposed to be really good, and I have a big Pecan here so no problems with using that!

Cheers
Geoff

Geoff,

I just use a traditional rectangle stainless smoker(maybe 2foot by 1 foot with 2 racks in it).About $65 or $70 bucks and metho in a tin is used for fuel.
Noel is right in suggesting chicken pieces as they are just so damn tasty,hot or cold.It just takes a bit of practice to get them just right right though.Do not overcook and dry out the cuts of meat but make sure they are not undercooked(as in blood dripping around the bone of chicken.The good thing I find with using a container of metho is that I can gauge how much fuel to use to get it real nice and it just burns itself out when cooked.(most of the time anyway.)
Hickory(pecan,walnut) is my favorite,Just crank up the chainsaw,a sheet of plastic and cut up a branch of that ole Pecan and its a better tasting timber than the aussie hardwoods IMHO.
Some real good ideas from noel there to obtain similar results at a budget price though.Good stuff Noel!!http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Scott

gone_phishin
30-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks Scott!

I've got one of those petrol driven mulchers that I normally blast the fallen branches from the pecan tree into almost shavings so I reckon they're not going on the garden anymore;) I've also got plenty of the normal oz hardwoods as well as huge mangoes and macadamias on the property, so are any of them good or bad for smoking?

I'm probably going to go with the weber due to the amount I want to do, as one of the mates wants me to smoke some eel for him as he sells it to restaurants etc. and wants me to do it his way, but I also want to learn the basics like this for my own use. My only worry is if the eel will put any smell or anything into any other smokings I do. He reckons not though.:-/

Cheers
Geoff

Noelm
31-08-2007, 08:30 AM
in the weber I just use a "lump" of wood, not sawdust, but in the little smoker that you have with the metho burner I use sawdust, sometimes I just buy a bag at the tackle store or barbie place, it lasts for ages.

Noelm
31-08-2007, 08:31 AM
OH and I doubt the Eel will cause any drama with smell.

disorderly
31-08-2007, 10:00 AM
in the weber I just use a "lump" of wood, not sawdust, but in the little smoker that you have with the metho burner I use sawdust, sometimes I just buy a bag at the tackle store or barbie place, it lasts for ages.

Do you just put the lump of wood on top of the heat beads,Noel?.
BTW what are the beads made of?maybe charcoal or something else?

Scott

Noelm
31-08-2007, 10:16 AM
yep, just plonk it on the beads, not too sure what they are really made of, but they start off black and then go white and stay hot for yonks, can cook on them for ages, you need those "firestarter" things to get 'em going, and do not put any food anywhere near the heat untill the firestarter things are all gone! and you buy them almost anywhere from Woolies to a BBQ shop

gone_phishin
31-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Now all I've got to do is get me some of them lovely Golden Trev's that everyone tells me are great smoked! Damn the 20knot winds! Might try some chicken in the meantime..do you have to pickle them or is there another recipe Noel?

Cheers
Geoff

Noelm
31-08-2007, 10:45 AM
nope, same thing, does not matter what you use, I have tried them just as is, but they seem to go all sort of dry, but try a couple each way, pickled and not pickled, taste is a very personal thing, and after a few successes and failures, you will find you will have your own "secrets" and how long to cook, how many heat beads, you just need something to start you off then adjust to suit you.

gone_phishin
31-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Probably totally off the subject Noel, but do you know how to make Biltong or Jerky and can you do it in a Weber as well??? I used to love the stuff but the recipes they have in the shops today don't really do anything for me.

Geoff

Noelm
31-08-2007, 03:33 PM
yep, made jerky heaps of times, just get some strips of beef, put in the smoker for a while to "harden up" and your done! takes about the same amount of time as fish, but I used to cut it into thinish strips so it went all hard after smoking, I have tried all sorts of stuff, sometimes with great success ,sometimes with rubbish, tried some Plichards once, they came out like sh!t, but then I filleted some (took forever) and they were OK

Noelm
31-08-2007, 03:36 PM
I forgot, I once made some "dry" beef, by getting the meat strips, using the pickle mix and used really low heat untill all the heat beads were gone, turned out like rope, but gees it was good, another thing that comes up a treat is a rack of ribs!! they cost bugger all and with a bit of low smoke and some basting a couple of times when cooking, they are great!

gone_phishin
31-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Geeez you're making my mouth water Noel:tongue:

Geoff

disorderly
31-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Yeah the ribs sound great.Be lovely with a sweet dipping saucehttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif.
I just did up some spanish tonight with hickory and got a bit adventurous.I tried some home laid eggs.Cooked them first in the microwave then put them in the smoker for a few minutes part way through the fish cooking.
They picked up the flavour but tasted a little dry!http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/embarassed.gif
I might try cooking them from scratch in the smoker next time.

What else can we try?

Scott

minno
01-09-2007, 01:26 AM
Disorderly! What did you say you were smoking! Sorry I didnt read it all.

Minno;)

disorderly
01-09-2007, 02:52 PM
minno,I'll smoke anything once.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif
But I dont inhale!http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif

Scott

minno
02-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Disorderly. I tried to smoke a bream once. I rolled it nice in tally-ho, but I couldn't get it to light. So its true! Iam just no good at smoking fish.:-[

Minno;D

gone_phishin
03-09-2007, 05:24 PM
G'day Noel

Can't report back with much in the way of results...can't find an old Weber anywhere in Bundy!! Have tried all the second hand places, all the recycle places, all the op shops, and there is just none to be had at the moment:'( . Oh well...I will keep looking and get back to you.

Cheers
Geoff

Noelm
04-09-2007, 08:09 AM
keep an eye out, someone will have one, maybe even put a post in the wanted section, it is like all things, you see them everywhere untill you want one!

gone_phishin
04-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Thanks Noel,

I've taken your advice and posted under the Wanted's to see if there is anyone in Bundy on Ausfish who has one.

Cheers
Geoff

Noelm
04-09-2007, 08:48 AM
I did some ribs in mine last night for our dinner, basted a few times with some sort of sauce (from a bottle) not too much smoke and heat, a bit of easy salad, out under the pergola beside the Pool, had the kids over hhhmm mmm a couple of icey beers AAHH lifes good when you can forget all the drama of the News, Money, terrorist, drug addicts, and all the other stuff that tends to rule (and ruin) your life without really knowing it has.

gone_phishin
04-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Yep...life's good if you don't take it too seriously. 27 year old mate's just been put on palliative care for luekemia that started at Xmas time and has been through hell and back for the last 8 months or so, and all he wants to do when they send him home is come fishing with me...I feel humbled. I will be doing him some of your recipes for smoking as it is one of his favourites. Makes you feel lucky though doesn't it....

Cheers
Geoff

finga
14-09-2007, 06:33 AM
Well all of you buggers have set me off.
Stuff you all I say >:(
My mouth has been dripping and the mind has gone wild about smoked fish and jerky.....mmmmmmm.....jerky ::).
For the next project I'm going to fire up the TIG and build a smoker out of a beer keg.
Any ideas on how to fellas???
Thanks...thanks a lot guys ;)
Scott :D

gone_phishin
14-09-2007, 06:50 AM
Don't ya just love it Scott when somebody else's intentions get the old creative juices flowing and you've gotta go and do it yourself:P...can't help you with the beer keg idea though...unless you need help emptying it first::)... I'm still trying to find an old Weber!!!

Geoff

bondy99
14-09-2007, 10:27 PM
There is another method of making a smoker from a stainless steel beer keg. Just get one from the home brew suppliers, should be able to get a cheapie for $20.00. Take the spear out slowly as it will be under pressure....Pour the stale beer out then cut in half with an angle grinder, keep a straight line.

Then trim each half in abit, you should be able to place the top half straight on top the bottom section.

You can weld some stainless legs on the bottom to place a gas ring burner, put your favourite smoking wood inside the keg, make sure the wood was soaked in water for awhile. Jarrah, Iron Bark is good, on the centre you can place 3 stainless pegs to place a wire rack on for the fish. The top part you can have an inspection port where the pressure and smoke can be released when done.

I usually soak my fish in a sugar and salt solution for a couple of hours, then smoke them for about 2 or 3 hours depending on the heat.

I've smoked tailor, mullet, mackeral, tuna and the odd freshwater eel in it. bloody beautiful taste.

Most of the flesh comes out a dark orange / red colour depending on the wood.

I hope this may be of help to you.

Peter

bondy99
14-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Well all of you buggers have set me off.
Stuff you all I say >:(
My mouth has been dripping and the mind has gone wild about smoked fish and jerky.....mmmmmmm.....jerky ::).
For the next project I'm going to fire up the TIG and build a smoker out of a beer keg.
Any ideas on how to fellas???
Thanks...thanks a lot guys ;)
Scott :D

Hi , I just posted a message as to how to build one from a stainless steel keg, Problem is I also need to have another made, mine was stolen some few months ago. Can you help me out with the welding if I can get the kegs at a reasonable price? I think I can still get them for $20.00 each but that was 5 years ago, buggers might have gone up since then, but I'll check my sources. Send me a pm.

Peter

finga
15-09-2007, 07:33 AM
Got a keg or two from my scrapey mate :)
I might look at those 2 barrel versions.
The heat and smoke maker in the bottom and the meaty bits in the top section with a couple of big tubes going from the heat/smoke section to the meatybits holder.
Going to have to think about this a bit I reckon ;)

baldyhead
16-09-2007, 01:14 PM
I have a mate who has a great smoker setup...He got 6 old pallets and stood a large single cavity old fridge on them to get some height. On the top of the fridge he has cut and fitted a small 75mm chimney c/w a regulator flap. He has added extra shelves inside to place the fish on. Has also set it up to allow him to hang a leg of pork etc on hooks inside as well. He cut a 100mm hole in the back of the fridge @ the bottom.
At approximately 16m away he placed a 60l drum on the ground after he had cut a door in the bottom of it, fitted a rack to hold the coals and cut a 100mm hole in its side near the top. He cut the top outta the drum also & modified it as a lid. He got 2 x 8m lengths of aluminium irrigation pipe which he coupled together & fitted one end into the hole in the fridge & the other into the fire drum.
He supported the pipe @ intervals so that it was on a 30 degree incline from drum to fridge. Then he did sumptin tricky!
Before he fitted the pipe into the fridge he slid a length of 150mm PVC pipe over the alum pipe. He fitted the pipe to the fridge then heated the ends of the pvc pipe & formed it down to touch the the alum pipe then sealed it all with Silaflex.
He drilled a hole @ each end @ fitted a piece of 25mm pvc pipe into them.
He took a 200l drum to the launching ramp & filled it with salt water, took it home and placed it on the ground adjacent to the lower end of the 150mm pvc pipe. He plumbed the 25mm pipes using gravity & a 12v bilge pump to cycle the water thru the pvc to cool the smoke.
He builds a good fire in the drum, gets heaps of good coals going then add his smoking material Then puts the lid on the drum & the smoke travels up the alum pipe gets cooled on the way and he smokes the BEST PORK<FISH & chook that I have EVER tasted.
Sorry for the long post....Haven't got any fotos of his setup unfortunately.
cheers baldy

gone_phishin
16-09-2007, 01:29 PM
That sounds awesome baldyhead:o. I like the idea of the cold smoking and if you can get any photo's at some time I'd love to see the setup, though with your description I reckon I could do something similar anyway.

Thanks for the beer keg info bondy99! If I can't find a weber or decide against the cold smoking, I'l go and se my local scrappie and see if he has any...I know the local home brew shop used to charge $100 for a keg:'(

Cheers
Geoff

Noelm
17-09-2007, 08:28 AM
cold smoking or "indirect" is usually the way the pros do it, but it takes a lot longer and requires a bit of extra space to have the "smoke box (fridge)" then a fire box and all the "plumbing" to go with it, but it does work a treat.

bondy99
17-09-2007, 11:57 AM
G'day gone_phishin

No probs, that beer keg sounds a bit pricey though, I'm sure you can get the buggers cheaper than that, especially ex-brewery. I'm going to check my new source for a price, I got one for $20.00 last time, same place but different person there now. I'll check and get back to you and let you know.

Peter

gone_phishin
17-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks Peter! I'd be interested to see what price you can still get them for. Finally found a Weber yesterday but they wanted $80 for it....and all the food bits and grease and stuff were freebies:P

Geoff

gone_phishin
17-09-2007, 02:08 PM
G'day Noel

Still hunting the Weber....got plenty of fish on Saturday but I'm not allowed to put Red Jew in the smoker anyway. yum!!

Cheers
Geoff

gone_phishin
23-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Weber found!!! Went looking for an old chest freezer at the local tip to make into a big smoker, and the first thing I saw at the steel section was an old Weber...cost...nothing. The guy who runs the tip used to live next door to me 15 years ago in Gove NT. It's out the back at the moment burning all the old crap off it, and I'm looking back at the thread, and drooling....willl let you know what happens in the next day or so Noel.

Cheers
Geoff

gone_phishin
07-10-2007, 05:01 PM
G'day All,

A special g'day to Noelm if he's listening!! Mate....that recipe you gave me for the brine is bl##dy lovely!! So far I've done smoked chook legs (didn't make it past the lunch table beside the Weber) and we got a couple of Mack Tuna on Wednesday, and instead of feeding the dogs, thought I'd give them a whirl in the brine and smoker. Old mate told me Thursday night I was wasting my time as smoking only made them stronger in taste (hate strong fish:P) and they were only worth feeding to his cat.

Boy am I gonna make him eat his words....as well as some of the smoked Tuna:D I've got neighbours about 3 kilometres away who haven't stopped calling since last night to see whether I'd caught any more. Told 'em I was just finishing up smoking the last lot a few minutes ago...and I think I can here a car pulling up in the drive as I speak;D;D;D

Anyway thanks again Noel, and I'll keep you posted on any other experiments, and the results of the Jerky I'm yet to try.

Cheers
Geoff

pog mo hoin
29-10-2007, 09:56 AM
I used an old fridge once, the racks were already there etc. had an old webber that we put a hole into the the lid and used air con ducting to the fridge side about half way up. Got the coals etc happening in the webber added the various smoke chips etc pop on lid and it used to work a treat. We would do rare smoked chicken breast, and finish them off on the Barbie or the oven and we used to do a lot of Reef Shark Fillets as well, the shark ( Flake ) fillets smoked make great fish cakes once smoked. Lamb racks work really well also, we used to soak a heap of fresh rosemary and unpeeled garlic bulbs in olive oil and balsamic vinegar and chuck them on the coals, the volume of smoke is amazing and the oil in the rosemary would flavour the lamb wonderfuly. Fresh horseraddish cream is always a good accompanment with any smoked meat. My two cents

Swamp
23-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Gents, ladies ??

An old and wonderful subject

Lots on the net

Start with a big keg, and 2nd hand webers are great, I've also seen cardboard boxes used

Best of luck, and great eating

Haji-Baba
24-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Here is what i do for all meat, fish, crabs, prawns and pork.

Got some pork spare ribs on right now.

Also have a large wok which very seldom leaves the van and when we are travelling we use it on the outdoor stove or wood fire on the Barbie plate.

Works for me.

Have fun Haji-Baba

Haji-Baba
24-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Hello Geoff,

Saw a "smoker" in Tassie.
He had a drum in the ground and underground pipe 6m. long leading up hill to an old fridge.

Smoked all his fish and venison etc. in that.

Cold smoking took days but worth it.

For cold smoking you will need to salt and sugar meat etc. to stop it going off before the smoke takes effect.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

Noelm
26-11-2007, 08:00 AM
hey, just saw your post 'fishin" glad you found the Weber, you will do all sorts of stuff, takes a bit of time to work out, how hot, how much, what to smoke, you will have some fantstic results , and some dismal failures, but it is all fun, I have just started smoking fish wrapped in foil with just a couple of small holes in it to let in the smoke, works OK, not too smokey flavoured, the Chicken legs are good huh! tried Breast too, but it tends to get a bit dry, might try it in the foil!

voiletmay
30-12-2007, 05:59 AM
Hi, I'd really like to thank everyone for this thread. It inspired me to start using my weber that has been sitting on my back deck for well over 5 years untouched. I've been enjoying using it, and have even bought one of those quickstart chimneys so I can be a bit more creative in where I place coals (necessary for smoking at low temperatures if you only want coals on one side, I couldn't light just one side of my weber, but it is easy with the chimney). There are video tutorials on http://www.webernation.com that I have been watching too. Aldi had cheap hickory chips and smoker boxes too (not that you need them, foil works).

My neighbour/fishing parter and I are even more eager to find somewhere we can catch legal size fish (we live in the Redlands. QLD) so we can try them smoked. We are landbased. Might have to try some of the dams as smoked trout seems extremely appealing.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thankyou to Geoff for starting this thread.

gone_phishin
31-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks Violetmay...but I've gotta say the rest of the Ausfishers who contributed to this thread are the ones who really need thanking!! For just needing a bit of help for building a Smoker, this has turned into quite a good read I reckon, with lots of great help...including yours with the chimney! I'll go and follow the link now.

Cheers
Geoff

bugman
31-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Gents,

I have little to add other than I've just put together my portable fold down smoker my wife gave me for xmas. The plan is it will stay in the boat in order to have fresh smoke trout.

I'll make up the brine solution in a minute as i have some relies bring over some fresh trout this afternoon.

I'll let you know how it goes.

One question - some of the info with the smoker said dry off fish after removing from brine - another paragraph had "let dry for up to an hour"? What works best?

Brett

Horse
31-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Brett
If hot smoking then just pat them down. The brine should have drawn moistuire from the fish through osmosis so it should not weep when smoked.

Those Trout sound good

Cheers

Neil

bugman
11-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks Neil,

I've been doing small whole trout not fillets and found I've had to leave them in the brine a bit longer.

The first batch I spoke about a few weeks ago wasn't too bad but since then I've been leaving the whole trout soaking overnight. It's been taking nearly two hours to hot smoke then but they have been coming up a treat.

In fact two rellies have already gone and purchased a smoker as a result of the taste test. It simply is the best way I've eaten trout.

I'm only using a simple brine of salt, water and soy sauce and I'm not even sure what the wood is as it came in the pack unmarked but by God it has been devine.

Thanks for the tips fellas.

Keep em coming

PS I'm off to catch more trout tomorrow - just to give her another workout.

Brett

DICER
04-02-2008, 08:36 AM
bugman - do you have a picture of your foldable smoker?

thanks again to everyone who contributed, it has improved my smoking

NoelM - I tried your recipe for fish
"mix up half a cup of salt, half a cup white sugar, third cup brown sugar, 1 cup Soy Sauce and a litre of water, stir around untill it is all disolved, put the fish in the mixture, put it in the fridge overnight, next day, get them out, pat dry with paper towel and it is ready to smoke"

and have to say it works really well and the second half approves. I also tried it with a 1/3 cup mirin replacing an equal volume white sugar and it also has my thumbs up. Cheers and thanks!

Noelm
04-02-2008, 10:23 AM
I guess what it comes down to is that once you get a basic "recipe" for brine, then you can adjust it to suit your own taste, like I know a guy that uses my mix but only leaves it in for about 3 or 4 hours so it does not get too brined, so adjust times and quantities to taste!

Ausfish
06-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Dicer - Have a look at the Nipper Kipper smoke ovens - http://www.smokeovens.com/

bugman
07-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Sorry Dicer,

I must have missed your question on this thread.

It's a Mako "compact fish smoker".

This is it here:

http://www.gotyatackle.com/store/product.asp?ID=462

but I'll take a photo next time it's up.

Brett

rayken1938
13-02-2008, 07:56 PM
I am going to lenthalls next week so i have just prepared some smoked chicken that we will take up with us.
We either have it on sangas for lunch or eat it finely sliced with a few coldies at night or any other time.
I use a slight variation of Nolems recipe.
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup sugar/ 1/2 cup soy
1/2 cup leatherwood honey
1 litre warm water.
i find that if I use cold water I have problems disolveing the ingredients.
I have an old moreton meat pump that used to belong to my mother and use that to pump the mixture into the chicken breasts.
I then place in the fridge for a couple of hours and then fire up the old smpker.
I use hardwood sawdust that I get from the sawmill at Esk. ( Its free and as much as you like) This lot is ironbark but the last lot I used was scribbley gum .
I only use the small smoker for the breasts but when I do whole chooks and hams and sausages I fire up the big one.

rayken1938
13-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Photo above showed meat pump it is just a very large syringe.The ones below shows in the smoker and the finished product.
I am fortunate in that I am mates with a chicken farmer and when they clean out the shed the catchers usually leave a dozen of so runts or others that are too fast for them and I score them or else they are killed and dumped.