PDA

View Full Version : MP’s, experts say Moreton Bay rezoning is environmentalism gone mad

Gary Fooks
27-08-2007, 05:43 AM
Media Release
Embargoed Monday 27 August 07:00

MP’s, experts say Moreton Bay rezoning is environmentalism gone mad

On the eve of the $35 million dollar Brisbane Boat Show, iconic Australian boating family– The Haines Group - say that the proposed EPA ‘no go’ zones in Moreton Bay is extreme environmentalism gone mad.

Australian boating icons John Haines Snr (AM) and his son Greg Haines have hit out at the EPA’s radical ‘water grab,’ suggesting it will cause hundreds of millions of dollars of damage to the Australian boating, fishing and tourism industries.

Greg Haines, Joint Managing Director of The Haines Group; Australia’s largest manufacturer of fibreglass trailer boats, says the claim on Moreton Bay is scientifically unfounded and likely to ruin the great Australian lifestyle dream.

“This proposal is ill-considered and doesn’t address the real issues affecting Moreton Bay.

“The boating and fishing industries are all for preservation of Moreton Bay waters, however more government attention should be directed at the real problems and addressing these with real environmental solutions,” Greg said.

Greg Haines said that there are issues that have a much greater impact on the Moreton Bay environment than fishing, including residential and industrial run-off, and outboard emissions.

He said the re-zone also compromised the safety of boaties and their families.

“This rezoning also poses a serious safety threat – people will have to take their boats further offshore into more dangerous waters all to save fish that the EPA claim to be threatened but cannot scientifically verify,” Greg said.

Senator Ron Boswell fears similar dire results to those arising from the recent Great Barrier Reef rezoning, which ruined local businesses and industries and cost the taxpayer $200 million in compensation.

“Since GBRMPA introduced the no-go zones, the federal government has forked out $200million whereas they initially estimated the cost to be between $500,000 - $1.5 million.

“We could expect State compensation for the Moreton Bay rezoning to be worth much more than this figure,” Senator Boswell said.

Leading world marine biologist, Dr Walter Starck, based in Townsville, claims the EPA has not defined the real problem facing Moreton Bay and therefore has not provided realistic solutions.

After witnessing the demonstrable restrictions placed on the Great Barrier Reef based on incorrect fishing stock claims made by the EPA, Dr Starck said that if certain sea animals are in danger then speed restrictions could be enforced as opposed to strict no go zones.

“I agree the area needs to be nurtured, but rezoning is not the way forward. The EPA should be looking at real solutions such as closing off certain areas during spawning season, rather than simply shutting off areas altogether,” Dr Starck said.

Dr Starck said the no-go zones will leave South East Queenslander’s with no where to recreationally boat and fish as they have no access to any other waterways.

Dr Starck claims 1000’s of dugongs are being killed in far north Australia in total contradiction to the Moreton Bay farce.

Senator the Hon Ron Boswell said he believed fishers and people in related industries don’t want to be compensated, but want to continue their lifestyle and livelihood.

“However, if the rezoning goes ahead, the QLD State government must ensure that the businesses affected by their Moreton Bay closures; from tackle and boat sellers, fish and chip shops, tour operators through to commercial fishermen, are properly compensated,” he said.

“While the EPA claims the plan will be released by the end of 2008 for public consultation, the GBRMPA experience tells us that the zones as we see them now are not far from the end result,” said Senator Boswell.

“I have called for a full economic and social impact statement to be prepared prior to any rezoning taking place. Any changes to zoning should be based on science, and a Fisheries Research and Development Corporation (FRDC) study is currently underway that would also provide vital data to the EPA before they produce any plan,” he said.

Shadow Primary Industries and Fisheries Minister Mr Mike Horan (NPA) said the government had, through the EPA, brought in five people from the Great Barrier Reef organisation who have been through the process of rezoning to review the Moreton Bay plan.

“In a nutshell, they rezoned 30 per cent of the Great Barrier Reef and in the same process put a stop to 70 per cent of the fishing.

“That is what will happen in Moreton Bay. They will come out with all these areas of interest—and they have some 35 areas of interest at the moment—they will cause a few major demonstrations about areas like the Redcliffe pier and other types of areas, and then they will slip in all the other zones while people are concentrating on other areas.

“At least in relation to the Barrier Reef in north Queensland compensation was paid by the federal government. But, in relation to the complementary zones along the coast, there was not one dollar of compensation.

“Who is going to compensate the people in Moreton Bay?” Mr Mike Horan said.

Greg Haines said while the proposed no-go zones represents 30% of the Moreton Bay area it covers about 80% of fishing spots in South East Queensland used by families and recreational fisherman.

“My question to the EPA is why do we need to rezone? What happened since the last rezoning and why is fishing being blamed when science is proving the contrary?”

“My family has been in the boating and fishing industry for over fifty years, and I want my family to be able to continue to enjoy the lifestyle South East Queensland presently offers,” he said.

ENDS

Note: John Haines Snr AM was appointed a Member of the General Division of the Order of Australia in 2004 for his service to recreational boating and the development of national safety standards.

For more information please contact:
Prue Leng / Anita Caulfield
P: 3844 7477
M: 0400 710 547 (Prue)
M: 0416 334 283 (Anita)

Fafnir
28-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Will be interesting to see if this gets picked up by the media. This sort of ongoing coverage can't hurt. With the amount that is being spent in the media trying to justify their disgraceful behaviour, clearly they are a bit concerned about the negative publicity.

Gary Fooks
28-08-2007, 09:56 AM
I think it was on Channel 10, 7, 4BC and some got used in the Courier Mail on Monday.

FNQCairns
28-08-2007, 10:10 AM
MMmm..... I thought thats great! a big dollar industry type person speaking out (didn't happen on the GBR) cause the common man alone has no voice - then I read why! only those without any good knowledge of the emmision and Natural processes can make those judgements - that is without profit being the prime motive.

Rollercoaster of expectation in the haines group was straight up, then a crash....but if it get's the job done and lines his pockets in the process......

cheers fnq

alleycat
28-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Has anybody else heard the corny comercial on radio about the epa green zone?, one guys sounds all worried saying that they are going to take away his fishing spots on jetties ect to which his mate says relax they are not going to stop you fishing off your favourite jetty or beach,!!!!! what rubbish, and our tax dollar paid for it, oh great, i can leave my boat at home and go and fish for gar off the jetty!!, what was i worried about??, do they think we are that stupid?.

Fafnir
28-08-2007, 11:30 AM
do they think we are that stupid?.

No but they know the 'Fish once or twice a year from the beach or jetty when on holidays mums and dads' will now see their zoning as being fair and reasonable, and anyone speaking out against it as being greedy and anti-conservation. It's a shame there is not a way to finance an opposition radio campaign:

Two blokes talking, Guy 1 says: 'I'm worried about these proposed green zones'
Guy 2: 'No need to worry, I've heard that they won't stop fishing from jetties or beaches'
Guy 1: 'Sure, but how about the thousands of people who fish in boats?'
Guy 2: 'But they're only talking about 10% of the Bay being zoned'
Guy 1: 'Yeah the 10% that holds fish, leaving the 90% that has no fish'

etc etc.

Chris Ryan
28-08-2007, 11:33 AM
So the EPA look like they are running scared with the rush of advertising out there. From radio cheesy adverts to now having Dick Johnson on the TV telling us it is all OK.

Interference marketing in its best form; trying deperately to tell the masses all is good/fine/dandy nothing to worry about everyone. Basically saying its all crap that is being sent out at the moment.

Well the information is out in the public forum now and there has to be some truth to it otherwise the government wouldn't be spending million of our cash on the advertising!

Puff

Blueroo
28-08-2007, 05:17 PM
The adds seem to be designed to make the EPA look good and the dissenting fishing people look bad.
Its all to do with swaying public opinion.
Its a pity a few of the television shows about fishing that we all love to watch and support wouldnt come on board with us.
Stue

Chris Ryan
28-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Hey Stue, I wonder if they have been asked to help or if we expect it? Not making or passing judgement on this, just wondering if it had been done.

Chris

flick
28-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Fishing shows are only watched by people who fish. The non fishing general public (who sway votes) need to be made aware that these closures are detrimental. Names like Haines in the media get attention.

If you mean somebody like E.T. making public comment, that I would support.

jim

Blueroo
28-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Good thinking.
Just wrote a request through one channels contact us and suggest a story page and got an error message.
Any ideas anyone.
Stue

PinHead
28-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Beattie would not give a rats if it was the Queen or the Pope talking against Bay closures..as far as he is concerned he has the divine right to do as he pleases ( and of course whatever Bill Ludwig decrees plausible)

flick
28-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Greg, that is because religiously, Beattie sees himself out ranking the pope.

Fafnir
28-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Fishing shows are only watched by people who fish

Actually I think you will find that many have an excellent viewer base of none anglers.

Just wrote a request through one channels contact us and suggest a story page and got an error message.
Any ideas anyone.
Stue

Yeah, get a number of commercial fishermen and tackle store owners together and contact the current affair programs. Have one main spokes person who is coached through what to say, along with coaching for anyone else likely to be interviewed. The main focus has to be the poor track record of the EPA, explaining that the maps that are circulating now are pretty much the final plans (with the exception of more to be added). And the waste of tax payers dollars trying to 'sell' the public on the fact that they will still be able to fish from jetties and beaches. That the real problem here is boating anglers being locked out, with no science backing up their decisions. Tee up a marine biologist to back up our arguments and away we go.

Approaching them by explaining that these highly emotional people are up in arms, totally furious and want to vent on camera would spike the interest of current affair programs. They love the theatre to promote their shows. The main thing is to have some who speaks well on camera, and is well versed in the 'facts' doing all the talking.

If they are running ads, they are clearly nervous. Would be good to get them further on the back foot.