PDA

View Full Version : Smokin Riptide Flames at the Banks??? 14th Aug 2007

revs57
15-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Or should that be "Flamin Riptide" smokes at the banks!

The crew for this mornings outing was the ever reliable Swano complete with his dainty new pretty pink shoes, a mate of his Rolly, and new dad, the big galoot Hodgie.

We left M'ba 3.45am to find quite sloppy but managable conditions although as we punched through the NE swell with SE chop, our first plan was to hit Coronation Rock again, but found the going pretty tough. So we amended the plan to cut across the washing machine conditions for an easier run out and head up to the Northern Banks/Hard area. We've had great success up there before, although the last couple of trips to the area have been quite lean. But given the snapps had a spawning run on the new moon a couple of nights ago, we figured they'd be pretty hungry - so out we go.

As we traveled further out, the conditions deteriorated and the going was quite laborious. When we were travelling parallel to the banks, after a brief conference with the crew, we decided to punch through the last few k's to Coronation and get fishing as the morning pre dawn hue was beginning to happen. It had been a 1 3/4hr trip out so far such were the conditions - quite lumpy!

We decided to anchor and burley as the stiff SEastely had not abated and the drift was way too fast...even for a shuted drift we felt.

So we dropped anchor and Swano was first in with his SP outfit while everyone else is rigging up. He has a nice snap around4-5kg in the kill in a blink...nuclear chicken takes its first scalp for the day. He drops again and matches his first effort! Go the SP brigade! The smellypoofterbaitfishos hadn't even got a bait in the water at this point, Swano had boated his first 2 fish for the day pretty good effort at least his pink shoes weren't a negative factor!

I chimed in with a nice Gold spot wrass and a moses on pillie and these proved to be the only fish taken on dead bait all day.

We pulled a few more snaps (by this time we'd all gone to the dark side)...you guessed it - Nuclear Chicken stick bait!

By the time the sun was well up we had the beginnings of a good catch in the kill tank. We decided to move into deeper water and went for a bit of a reccie looking for some new ground on the way to the North.

We reached our northern mark and the wind was still a fresh 15ktsish, so we anchored and burleyed again. A few more snapps came aboard including my first decent snapp on SP...a nice fish of around 3ish kgs. I was pretty happy with that. Rolly had chimed in with a pb snapp of around 4kg and the kill is looking quite full now.

Swano pulls a spangled Emporer to around 75cm and 6kg...a nice solid fish...

Hodgie just cant seem to get into a rhythm and boat a fish, changing rigs and fishing hard but to no avail. Things then go a tad quiet, so we moved to the front edge of the reef system we were working, to bag a couple more Snapps.

I remembered a patch some 5ks SW so we motored down. By then the wind had backed off a bit so we shuted a few drifts for more snapps, picking up 2 or 3 each drift...then the AJ's moved in!

We played with Gulps and knife jigs with these pup AJ's,but the snapps were still on the chew.

I loaded up into an absolute snodger again...and got smoked again! This time I had a 5mt leader of 40lb fluro, and there was no chance of stopping that freight train...done over by another good Snapper...but man it was a lot of fun.

Come 2pm the wind had kicked in again, so we decided to begin the slowish trip home in very lumpy conditions, but with a box full of very nice fish. Nuclear Chicken was the clear successful pattern. We had tried others types and styles, but the NC Stickbait was by far and away the one. apart for the two fish earlier mentioned and a couple of AJ pups hodgie knife jigged...every other fish fell to a SP!

Swano has the photos and will probably put them up when he picks up the thread.

A great day had by all, fantastic crew and excellent to be among them again.

Til next time

Cheers

Rhys
(Smokin' Flamin' Riptide)

Herm
16-08-2007, 12:51 AM
Congratulations Rhys and crew on a great catch! Looking forward to seeing the photos!

Definatley worth the effort to get out there!

Cheers
Janine

Any_Weather
16-08-2007, 03:27 AM
Rhys, mate good to hear you putting a few hours on the new motor, and getting fish to make it worth your while. Sounds like the going was tooough but the fishing sounds worth it. I have just bought my first pack of plastics to and cant wait to try them after all these reports. I dont have NC's but I think I will get some before my next trip. Well done
Lee

outsiderskip
16-08-2007, 05:27 AM
hi rhys
good fishing trip i bailed out on weather report
but chased bait only
you have got out more lately than previous 12 months

cheers pete

seapup
16-08-2007, 07:17 AM
Good work Rhys sounded like a good session! Bring on the plastics!!!!!!!! You have gotten me pumped for my next trip out wide with plastics!
Cheers,
Ben.

revs57
16-08-2007, 07:22 AM
Thanks Janine, it was a good day...even though conditions were hard going..the crew..even Swano in his pink shoes, did a great job! Give Pete a G'day for me.

Hi Lee, I noted yesterday we've done 63 hours since putting the new motor on in May for Fraser. It has made such a difference...the extra HP hold the bum up and it just grunts on. Yeah, we had discussions yesterday about the success of Nuclear Chook...the experts tell us that fish are colour blind, but certainly the you can see the green glowing first on the retrieve. Hodgie reckons its the first colour to change in the colour spectrum as depth increases and maybe the contrast has something to do with it. We tried other combinations. Swano had a slash with a new profile green chatruse jerk shad/paddletail style and boat a couple of fish on that.

Hodgie gave the lime tigers a crack with no success. Swano used a blue and white swim bait without success. I had a go a gambler 5" jerk shad in silver with blue and a neon pepper 7"stick bait with no success so yep, I'm not sure all the combinations Rolly had a crack at but there were a few, eventually we all went to the nuclear chook and brained them! Well most of them...getting tired of being smoked on good fish...but there's not much you can do! After being done over by a goodum last trip I picked up some flurocarbon leader and even it came back shreaded! Man there must be some big snapper down there!!!

Yeah Pete...we've been giving it a nudge lately...the 4 banger has less than halved our fuel burn and so means we can afford to get out more often. Yeah, I guess I've had a bit more time available lately too which had been nice.

We were watching the weather closely...As usual the Seabreeze prediction fluked around a bit. Wednesday began a few days out looking like a 10 kt day, it changed to a 10-15kt day, so we took a suck it and see approach. If it had have been too lumpy, we'd have put plan C into action...head down to the Currumundi 12 mile fish the early bite, see what the day brings then head out or chase some marks around Murphy's. We were pretty determined to get out...after a charter at Dawin failed (see Estuary reports "Guided barra day @ shoal bay") I was pretty determined to get among them and knowing the new moon/spawning thing had happened it was a no brainer that the fish would be on the chew. Good to be back on the boards again!

Cheers

Rhys

revs57
16-08-2007, 07:32 AM
I tell you what Ben, There is something about the way snapper take the plastics that just toots ya horn! Mostly always on the drop and bang! WW3 breaks out. Gotta love that! It exhilarating..particularly when a good fish starts stripping line...the drag hurting, screaming, the line zinging through the guides zzzzzzZZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz...bring it ON!

But I guess it has to be said, even though we have technology and scientifically designed gear, the scales (sorry for the pun) are still levered in favour of the fish IMO. Its their environment and they use every opportunity to not get caught...not that I'd blame them. I guess that why we keep going back.

Nice to have a few snapps in the food bin again though.

Cheers

Rhys

Fixation
16-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Hey Rhys,

Sounds like a great trip mate. Have to give the SP's a go next time I'm out there.
Well done.

Regards,
Craig.

revs57
16-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Yeah Craig...it was a great trip. I'm a bit sore this morning...must be getting old! I'd reckon you'd be crazy not to include the plastics. Is all about catch rate and if yesterday is any indication, the bait was a poor second cousin. We brought most of ours home!

I punched those marks in up towards the north - we had marks there already from previous trips where we had scouted it out and that was where it all really fired up, that ground around 5ks SE from knobbie.

When you getting out again?

Cheers

Rhys

Fixation
16-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Rhys,

Just waiting for the man upstairs to turn the fan down again. Be doing another mid weeker soon I reckon in between moving houses. I borked on wednesday with the report the way it was. How was the current out there this time?

revs57
16-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Barely a movement current wise...just enough to keep them together and interested

wadeo
16-08-2007, 04:19 PM
excellent report Rhys. I'm still fighting the dark side but its starting to win. The nuclear chooks have made it into the tackle box so i think i'll give one a go in the near future. Especially when a variety of fish seem to like them. A great feed there too well done;D what was the water temp on wed Rhys?

revs57
16-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Yeah wadeo, i know what its like to be committed to being a smellypoofterbaitfisho and not turn to giving over. Its all Swano's fault...seeing the fish he's consistently boated over the past 18mths has convinced me of their validity...and gooduns too. Having been done over myself on the last two trips really gets the blood going..can't wait to get a good go at it!

Not sure of the temp...I'm running an after market 'ducer that hasn't got a thermo incorporated...sorry

Cheers

Rhys

Adamy
16-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Hi Rhys - nice catch - sounds like a great day out - cept if I was there - there'd be some extra burley in the water:sick2:. Cant wait to see the fotos!

Were you using 5inch or 7inch Nuc chooks? and what depth of water you fishing up there - so how long does it take to reach the bottom?

Cheers,

Adam

revs57
16-08-2007, 07:09 PM
G'day adam,

They were 7" stickbaits...Swano had some huge grubs in Nuke chook...a new line, but they didn't go off at all.

We began in around 48 mts early, using 1oz jig tt heads with 7/0 gamakatsu hooks...we casted out and worked the sp through the water column til bottom touch...a few minutes, then a slow retrieve while working the bait in the strike zone, back to the boat.

In the deeper water drifting with the shute in around 68-70mts we upped the jig head to 1 1/2oz, cast ahead and used the same technique, working the SP down the water column to the strike zone - deadly! You're fishing from the time you hit the water till the time you pull it in for the next cast even though it may take a couple of minutes to get into the lower water column.

I was reflecting with Hodgie over the experience today, his rationale was that working the SP replicates a wounded live bait, more attractive than just floating a dead bait through the strike zone, actually enticing the fish to have a go, well it will be interesting to see if the larger specimens come in, but as I've been done over by a couple of unstoppables, it would seem they aren't shy either

Cheers

Rhys

Greg P
16-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Rhys

Sounds like a good trip but Swano needs the sack with the camera duties ;)::);D Maybe he is photoshoping nuclear chickens into all the catch pics :P

revs57
16-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Nah mate I reckon he's on the truth serum with Rolly. We might not get much sense out of him till the morning. I'm not sure if he'd be able to find his 'puter at the moment let alone turn it on and use it!!!!

Have ya been out to cover your new girl with blood, guts and glory yet Greg? Thats a fine looking avatar you've got. Sure beats the Sportsfish hands down!

Cheers

Rhys

Greg P
16-08-2007, 09:18 PM
PMSL

Yeah done a few trips out to Wide Cal and blooded her - its fishing well out there atm

Dono
17-08-2007, 06:06 AM
Sounds like you guys hit the money again, well done boys.
Rhys good report mate, Whats the go with perky and the pink shoe's? he must of got them cheap;D .

Cheers boys.

revs57
17-08-2007, 06:32 AM
Spot on Donny,

6 bucks! Cheapskate jelly spined lilly livered chippy! but he can catch fish....some times!!!

Mate gonna have to get you away from Backyard blitZ and onto some fish soon!

cheers

Rhys

swano
17-08-2007, 02:59 PM
heres a few , will put up more later , very busy, rhys you ugly man;D
cheers swano

revs57
17-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Yeah, Yeah Swano, busy bendin the elbow!!!!! How did Rolly pull up after a night on the truth serum?

Reefmaster
17-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Great Report Rhys sure looks like you had a blast. Swano I reckon Rhys is looking great at 50.(gotta be nice he is marrying me and Kristy in 2 weeks;D ) Bloody plastics eh you blokes should start selling tupperware I reckon;D . Swano it's still going to take a lot to swing me and foxy over to the dark side::) . Pull a few 10kg plus reds for us and we might think about it;) :-*

Regards,
Greg

revs57
17-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Hey, just a second guys...the naked faced ugly bloke with the snapper aint me...its Rolly!!!! and he's 50 too!!!!

The tupperware made me roflmao Greg!!!! Well time will tell, certainly the proof has been in the pudding lately...I wonder if the bigger specimines will really come in or whether the good old pilly/squidly/mullet fillet smellypoofterbaitfisho way will prevail

Like to keep me options open...

and I'm looking forward to that satd'y thats coming up soon

Cheers

Rhys

gawby
18-08-2007, 07:59 AM
Rhys,

Last year when we went out in sloppy weather we got onto the snapps better than any other time. 1/half hrs out and 2/half hrs back. (BANKS)

Now that i seem to have the sea sickness under control i am going to give it a good bash.

Good report and reading as always from you and a nice catch.

Graeme

Dono
19-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Id love nothing nmore than to jump in the Flamin Riptide with ya Rhys, Cant wait.
SWANO where did Rolly get the HAT????>:( >:( ;D ;D ;D thats it im hiding your Perky tablets from you.

Pistol_P
19-08-2007, 06:02 PM
I fear you may not be able to buy Nuclear Chooks in any shop soon....:o

They are claiming alot of fish this year!!!!!......

Great work boys!!!

Pete