PDA

View Full Version : Removing broken guides

dazza
10-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Hi all,
are there any tricks to removing broken guides?

usually i just sit down with a scalpel blade and start trimming away, i find it is difficult to remove all of the epoxy etc without damaging the blank.
any help/tips would be much appreciated

cheers
dazza

B_E_N
10-08-2007, 12:57 PM
i do the same over the guide of the foot only, then depending on how thick the build of epoxy is ill get a nail file and file off the top layer a bit then just pick at it. the thread is usaully hard from the epoxy and comes off it parts like it is one 'band' around the blank if you get me. ive found this is the best way to do it without damaging the guide but i have heard of putting a substance on it that weakens it, cant remember what it was exactly

Noelm
10-08-2007, 01:48 PM
yep, that is as good as any method, best tip, is be patient, no use stuffing up a rod just by charging in at a tedious job, sometimes if you are lucky you can get an end of the thread started and just pull it and the binding will just undo as the blank spins around.

B_E_N
10-08-2007, 01:56 PM
yeh forgot to add that cheers!

Rodman
10-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Hi Dazza

When I remove old or broken guides I carry out the following:

If the guide has an underbind then use a blade and cut the over bind on the foot of the guide only
Remove the guide
You then use your fingernail or something to locate a overbind thread and then unravel it at the same time this should remove the old epoxy.
By doing it this way you save the underbind and any fancy gold or silver trimmings.

Email me if you want to talk to me about doing it my way.

KenB

dazza
10-08-2007, 10:26 PM
hi guy's
thanks for the info
it is a shit of a job and i have a 2 second attention span, patience is not one of my strong points, looks like i will have to learn

now where does the missus keep her nail file. cant wait to explain that one

what sort of blade should i use, usually i use a scalpel blade size 22 for the heavy stuff and back to a 15 or 11 for the finer trimming, only trouble is they go blunt pretty quick
cheers
dazza

B_E_N
13-08-2007, 09:37 AM
go for any size that you can control easy coz you dont wanna slip!