PDA

View Full Version : trim tabs

lippa
03-08-2007, 05:32 PM
g'day fellas,

just chasin some advice on trim tabs
i look like ordering a 6.2 barcrusher. checking it out this weekend anyway at the sydney boat show.
the come from factory with trim tabs(dunno brand, not bennets)
im hearing some great things about these ql tabs.
worth the upgrade?
whats the pros and cons?

cheers in advance

lippa

Kerry
03-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Got to ask why they come standard with trim tabs in the first place?

OPTI
03-08-2007, 06:17 PM
the ql are awesome,they do wipe off speed,but very neat.the bar crusher might be using lenco which are ok have a good switch guage set up.

Ripples
03-08-2007, 06:30 PM
QL trim tabs are easy to install ,don't protrude out the back of the transom like Bennets or Lenco and cheaper .

lippa
03-08-2007, 06:40 PM
clarification:

not a standard, they are an option, these are the factory fitted option.

i think they are lenco's good on ya mate.

keep the reply's coming guys

Far side
03-08-2007, 06:43 PM
They come with the lectrotab trim tabs They work fine on mine best to get them fitted at the factory. They need tabs because of the hull design there are no planing strakes on the hull so weight change when moving will cause lean. It is because they are so light on the plane once the 400 kg of water goes out the hull the ride is great though.

PinHead
03-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Got to ask why they come standard with trim tabs in the first place?

and why not ???

purple patch2
03-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Lippa any V'ed mono hull will preform better with trim tabs they will level the boat in a side wind,sit the bow down more into a head sea,help plane easier all at the touch of a button, I use mine all the time when cruising in my boat 6.3 Signature,

withoutatrace
03-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Go the QL Tabs.
No protrusion out from the transom, instant response, idiot proof helm control, reliable and well engineered.
I have them on my current boat and I also had them on my last boat. They work a treat.

WOAT

Kerry
03-08-2007, 07:49 PM
and why not ???

So why for ???

Wahoo
03-08-2007, 07:56 PM
So why for ???

LOL
geeezzz can someone answer someone, and not with another Q
im keen to find out about trim tabs

Daz

Smithy
03-08-2007, 08:03 PM
So why for ???

To give you more in trim when conditions are rough, to let you trim your propellor level with the boat for maximum fuel economy and to fore and aft trim via the tabs instead of the outboard power trim and tilt, to trim out uneven loading, to trim up when gusts of wind hit you creating a lean into the wind on monos (by using the tabs you don't need to order passengers around every 10 seconds depending on what the wind is doing) and to maintain a lower planing speed for things like high speed trolling.

That is it in a nutshell.

Kerry
03-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Yeah Smithy we know what trim tabs are all about but why is it that all of a sudden there's this rash of manufacturer fitted tabs? Quintex did this a few years ago and suddenly all boats magically came fitted with tabs? Like have they suddenly only realised what they do? or is this a convenient marketing arrangement? Maybe all these new designs now have stability problems ????

Dean1
03-08-2007, 08:39 PM
They work a treat on my lightning, when i bought the boat they werent working, it took ages to get up on plane and thumped, now that there working its a different boat altogether, straight up on plane, better on fuel and gets the nose down and makes a massive difference to ride quality.. One of the rams were leaking oil which eventually ran dry, a new seal filled her with oil and theyve never looked back..

withoutatrace
03-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Yeah Smithy we know what trim tabs are all about but why is it that all of a sudden there's this rash of manufacturer fitted tabs? Quintex did this a few years ago and suddenly all boats magically came fitted with tabs? Like have they suddenly only realised what they do? or is this a convenient marketing arrangement? Maybe all these new designs now have stability problems ????

Kerry, you may have a point. Not necessarily with a stability problem but some dealers may use them to help reduce problems with poor setups on their boat packages.

I know I had to fit them to my previous boat (Trailcraft 570 bowrider) simply to get the bow down. No amount of engine trim/height would bring the bow down to satisfactory ride level.

I wanted them fitted to my current boat (Fisher 680 CC). What i have found is this boat is so well setup that I only ever have to use them to help level load distribution or to level the boat when it may lay slightly into the wind. This factor is mainly due to the deep vee of the hull design.

WOAT

lippa
03-08-2007, 09:12 PM
So why for ???

umm not a naval engineer, architect, boat builder dude. i thought i made a clarification
maybe with ya wealth of knowledge, you could be so humble as to fill a bloke like me in.

ql's seem the right of passage blokes. i'll keep lookin into em

thanks very much for the constructive replies.

cheers

lippa

Getout
04-08-2007, 08:52 AM
I've got a theory on trim tabs:
The tab in use causes drag, which causes the boat to veer to that side. To offset the veer, slight helm is used, correcting the course. It is this slight helm (read: steering to one side) whilst travelling straight ahead, that causes the boat to run level.
I know they work.I have them on my boat. When I set the port one down a little, the boat heads to port.

ozbee
04-08-2007, 04:03 PM
maybe they should fit them to the front of some cats lately might stop them going ploop. shouldn't need much bait on this won reckon a k for sure