PDA

View Full Version : Rekon its a turn off!!

Aussie_Angler
24-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Hey All

Just want a bit of a second opinion on my findings, Ive got a Alvey Reef king stick with an Abu G 7000 overhead loaded with 30lb bright yellow Fireline and when fishing the reefs near the GC Seaway have found that the other rods that run a much duller in colour braid (same rigs and baits) get the more regular hits. Do you rekon that the bright coloured lines puts the fish of the baits.

Be good to hear your thoughts!

Aussie_Angler

blaze
24-07-2007, 11:45 AM
do you use a wind on leader?
cheers
blaze

Aussie_Angler
24-07-2007, 11:51 AM
No just run a patenosta rig with a swivel joining the main line and leader, same leader set up is used all the rods, less confusion that way. Just seems that the rod with bright fireline is left out of the chew!

Aussie_Angler

FNQCairns
24-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Aussi angler, I have thought the same, nothing to back it up with just an idea, I will keep observing and hopefully make some sense of it one day but have already decided to no longer buy the brighter colours.

cheers fnq

Aussie_Angler
24-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Yeah, its a little disapointing cause its me new rod and hear iam thinkin ive bought a lemon!!!:( But as a conclusion, that yellow firelines comin off!

Thanks
Aussie_Angler

swano
24-07-2007, 01:54 PM
aussie-angler
try a long leader say at least 3m of mono and depending on water depth up to 10 meters long then your rig and i recon this might save wasting all that fireline
cheers swano

revs57
24-07-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm with Swano...but make it 6mts!

kingtin
24-07-2007, 06:28 PM
I've always thought that bright line would be a put-off but a while back I was given some yellow braid which I decided to try with placcies............so I could see which mangrove I was stuck in ;D

Strangely enough, I've fished placcies a few times now with smoke fireline and the yellow stuff and every fish I've caught on placcies has been on the rod/reel with the yellow stuff on it...go figure! :-/

Oh! and my leader is 1 metre of 12lb mono

kev

tunaticer
24-07-2007, 06:39 PM
I make a point of getting the black nikko pen out on all my braids for the last 5 metres or so. I do not like the sight of bright braids near my leaders so i colour it away from the leader nice and dark so it stands outy less. That way i still have the brightness to keep an eye on when the lures are further out and can see the lil touches we learn to look for.

Jack.

szopen
26-07-2007, 01:27 PM
I make a point of getting the black nikko pen out on all my braids for the last 5 metres or so. I do not like the sight of bright braids near my leaders so i colour it away from the leader nice and dark so it stands outy less. That way i still have the brightness to keep an eye on when the lures are further out and can see the lil touches we learn to look for.

Jack.

I do exactly same thing.
Maybe not all 5m but a meter anyway.

I read on one of the american bass fishing sites that a lot of them fish SP's with a relatively thick braid (12-20lb) and after blacking the last meter or two with the marker just tie it straight to the jigheads. Seems to work just fine.