PDA

View Full Version : driving lights

dazza
26-06-2007, 08:04 PM
hi,
i want to get some driving lights for my 4wd
what should i look out for? and how much should i be paying?, can probably spend around $200
also want to put a light on the rear bumper to illuminate the boat trailer and ramp when reversing at night, i was thinking about a led?
any advice/opinins appreciated
thanks
dazza

Brett1907
26-06-2007, 08:26 PM
This is another topic where a lot of it is up to individual preference. Whatever you do don't go buy the no namers, they have inferior lenses and reflectors. Even though they may state a higher power globe they still won't give as good light as a more expensive 'Brand' pair.

IPF are very good lights, I have a pair of 900XS, one spread and one spot. Absolutely love them, and from memory they performed well in a comparrison by 4WD monthly.

CIBIE, Lightforce, Hella all have some very good lights. Just check out the 4WD shops and buy the best you can afford.

Brett

wheelerdog
26-06-2007, 08:33 PM
for that sort of money i would recommend the narva kit available at any auto shop.

i run lightforce 240's they are the ultimate IMO, i got em as a hand me down, but previously my budget only stretched to the narva's and they certainly rated against some of the more popular 4wd shop lights.

Dan5
26-06-2007, 08:50 PM
G'day Dazza i also have lightforce 240 blitz and they are great,i used to have narva's,hella 2000's the narva's are better in the cheaper bracket than the hella's but check out the nite stalker's my mate put em on his rig last year and they are pretty bloody good for the price about $220 from memory.Dan...

SheppyG
26-06-2007, 10:49 PM
hi Dazza,

If you can afford it, i would follow with Brett's recommendation. The IPF 900XS are awesome lights, i have them on my 4wd. They are a powdercoated metal frame, with a high tensile bolt for attaching to the vehicle. They are also a low draw 65 watt globe that is xenon charged, which puts out nearly double its wattage. The advantage with IPF lights are that u can replace all parts of them if they get damaged. eg lens. I just smashed mine (oops) But they are up around the $375 mark at most ARB dealers.

Good Luck, Shep....

tunaticer
26-06-2007, 10:55 PM
I have been using lightforce spots for well over two decades they do make a good shooting spotlight but as for driving lights ....... well i'm not impressed I think its a hype thing why they are so popular sorta like nike or any other fad thing honestly i have used a lot better driving light than lightforce in quite a lot of brands.

For my driving in offroad and onroad outback driving i get the best service out of a pair of 140 or 150w sealed beam 5" lights one pencil beam and one midrange flood light. The replacement bulbs are cheaper than h3 bulbs they last as long as h3 unless you get rocks thru them and they are mega strong lights. you do need a good fused 30a relay for each bulb tho.

BTW i use the 270mm (9 inch) lightforce lights. nice and light for hunting but the consistancy of the spot and the intensity of the spot and the evenness of the spot are not as good as they can be in my opinion. What are the 9" lightforce selling for now????? I bet they have nearly doubled or more since they became popular as driving lights.

If you have a few dollars spare go for gas discharge for the ultimate in driving lights they are worth thier weight in gold. (hint buy ballast controllers from european cars with GD lights and buy the off the shelf driving lights you will save a few hundred bills)

Jack

choppa
27-06-2007, 06:28 AM
This is another topic where a lot of it is up to individual preference.
Brett

;D ;D ;D from rust to lights,,,,,, should i post a pic of me rig,,,, again do you think?????????

nah,,,, i'm off to work

choppa

Horse
27-06-2007, 08:19 AM
I have the Narva kit and it performs well. One spot one pencil. You will get a lot of change out of $200.00 and they rate better in most tests than most of the more expensive options

Neil

saurian
27-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Hella, lights for me boys , I agree tuna , lightforce is good for shooting ,ipf they just rattle out of there frames , good looking light thats about it , rally 4000, or rally 4000 juniors are the go but same as others $$$$$.
Ta

ashleyhj74
27-06-2007, 06:25 PM
I've got a set of bull lights on my Patrol that i've had for years. This is the 3rd vehicle i've had them on. I paid $50 each for them (you can still pick them up for that, or $65 each at some places). And the globes cost me $2 each :D Never had one problem with them, and when you dont use the mounting posts and just screw them onto the base of the bar, they fit fine on my ARB bar. (i'd add some sort of washers so they bite a bit better and hold adjustment). If you can pick up a copy of the Big Rigs or Owner Driver magazine from a truckstop/truck dealer or somewhere, they're usually a few in there that are cheap.

choppa
27-06-2007, 07:19 PM
if you want lights that fit the budget,,,, get to know the wholesaler/valuer at the largest car dealership you live/work close by

its funny what a carton will buy ya,,,,

most 4b's that come in as trades that are wholesaled don't go to far with lights and accessories attached,,,

and i've been requested to show ya,,,,,,,,,truly

SheppyG
28-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Hi Chopper...

Scared of the Dark???? ;D

Nice truck though. I got the same model....

Shep......

Blackened
28-06-2007, 05:25 PM
G'day

I have a set of narvas on my rodeo... it's the second vehicle i have had them on, No dramas at all.

They've been through water and mud, one spot and one spread.

They were unde the $200 mark, god quality budget lights.

Choppa, you dont have enough lights there mate ;) and what the ones on your rollbar? are they quite efffective?

Dave

dazza
28-06-2007, 06:48 PM
hi all,
thanks for the info guy's. sensational.

choppa
you are talking my currency, i recognise your vehicle, sometimes you pass me on the way to work, will give you a wave next time
cheers
dazza

choppa
28-06-2007, 07:23 PM
hi all,
thanks for the info guy's. sensational.

choppa
you are talking my currency, i recognise your vehicle, sometimes you pass me on the way to work, will give you a wave next time
cheers
dazza

i pass a lot of cars on my way to and fro dazza,,,, get that waving hand ready;D ;D ;D

dave,,,, all the lights have a use,,,, i have responded to this area before in past threads as well,,, roll bar lights run 125 watt globes as per the 2 on top of bull bar ,,, the light force run 150 watt,,,, headlights are now 150/90 watt,,,

chopjr turned all lights on at a trip to the local tip once,,, i was outta the truck for a second,,, came back to start it,,,,,,,,,,,doh!!!

very rarely do you see each bank on simutaneously,,, but when were doing beach work they help out,,,,, a bit

or annoying volvo drivers,,,,

choppa

finga
28-06-2007, 08:03 PM
i pass a lot of cars on my way to and fro dazza,,,, get that waving hand ready;D ;D ;D

dave,,,, all the lights have a use,,,, i have responded to this area before in past threads as well,,, roll bar lights run 125 watt globes as per the 2 on top of bull bar ,,, the light force run 150 watt,,,, headlights are now 150/90 watt,,,

chopjr turned all lights on at a trip to the local tip once,,, i was outta the truck for a second,,, came back to start it,,,,,,,,,,,doh!!!

very rarely do you see each bank on simutaneously,,, but when were doing beach work they help out,,,,, a bit

or annoying volvo drivers,,,,

choppa
Thank God I drive a Mazda ;D