PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a 4 way switch panel - need urgent help!!

Mau_151515
24-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Hey guys,

I am not much of an electrician and in need of some urgent wisdom, Im just about to begin wiring in this switch panel into my boat though i have a few questions! I have attached a pic below with the switch panel and the way i 'think' i am meant to wire it. the blue lines represent the negative wires and red positive. Now i have been told to connect the red cable directly to the positive battery terminal with another wire and run wires from each of the negative sides of the switches to a bus and then to the negative terminal of the battery, Firstly is this right ?? do i need to run negative wires from each of the switches??secondly once i have done this, both bars on each switch have been taken up by just the battery wires.. when i go to connect the nav lights to the switches where to they connect to if all the ports have already been taken up?????

Your input would be great, Thanks, Mau

Ninja
24-06-2007, 10:42 PM
The spare blade terminals on the swithes are the positive feeds to your accessories and all of the accessories will have a negative lead coming off them which should be fed to a bus bar then to the battery. It might be best to have a battery switch wired close to your battery off the positive lead then run the lead up to the switch panel and attack via crimping a wire joiner with heat shrink or electrical tape over the connection. Where do you live as I used to do auto electrican and you can wire it up in my driveway and borrow some gear if you need.

Mau_151515
24-06-2007, 10:51 PM
I live near mt ommaney in brisie, do you think you could do i quick paint diagram for me ? :P thanks mate.

dnej
24-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Mau.
The switches have really been simplified.They deal with positive only, not negative.

The lead you are holding is the positive.when you connect that to your battery pos,you have power to all the four switches. Pretty cool eh.

Now, you want to connect say some lights.Connect the positive from the light, to any spare switch spade.Doesnt matter which one.

No, it wont work yet,you have to connect the negative on the light, to the negative on the battery,in the way of your choice,either direct to the battery, or a neg post, or neg bar,from the battery,doesnt matter how.
I repeat,the neg wire has nothing to do with the switch, at all.

These switches are so simple,we look for something hard.Just remember,pos only to anything on the switch board.
David

Mau_151515
24-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Ahhh !!! ok well thats pretty damn easy then :P lol thanks mate !! Appreciate the input.

Mau

dnej
24-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Mau,
Yep, too easy.My brother thought the same thing.Make sure you are familiar with how to put in a new fuse,before you instal the switches.They are in the red boxes.
Too easy
David

Swamp
01-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Just one thing, crimps in salt water should be avoided wherever possible.

Running wires in a boat, it is always best to use tinned wire, and soldered joins to avoid lots of heartache later.

dnej
01-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Got to disagree with solder.Telstra no longer solder joints.
These days the heat shrink, with the glue inside,allows crimp joints to be completely sealed.Fantastic gear.
A heat gun is the go,or a hair dryer,does work also.
It is not cheap at $16 per length,but fantastic stuff.
Auto electrics shops have it.
David