PDA

View Full Version : Wil I need twin batteries??

Dantren
23-06-2007, 07:19 PM
The new setup will be a 510 CC.
The load consists of:
one 90Hp etec
Nav lights
Cabin lights
Spot light
Colour sounder
gps
bilge pump
live well pump

Is a second battery a wise investment?

Kerry
23-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Not for that load but to be self reliant and unless you you can pull start then the second battery is always good insurance.

Really these days with a good single battery and a backup starter type pack then you have most bases covered?

captain rednut
23-06-2007, 07:58 PM
hi mate if you only do day trips the etec will keep up, as they have a high charge rate, but if your an over-nighter and offshore fisher i think its a must and buy a good quality agm or full river style, brand batterie (deep cycle) hope this is some help cr

onerabbit
23-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Yeah,
I used to feel safe with my one VERY RELIABLE battery,

one day, a long way out, we ran out of fuel before switching tanks & sucked up a heap of crap.

Took about a half hour or trying , pumping & waiting before she finally fired, I didn't stop her until she was on the trailer.

DONT RISK IT, have a second battery, just in case, is cheap insurance.

Muzz

kingtin
24-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Can't be too safe on the water. I have a dual battery system and I carry two jump packs :o I betcha my first spot of bother is mechanical, not electrical ;D

kev

Spaniard_King
24-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Dantren,

The ov eriding factor (for me) is the livewell pump, if you anchor for long periods using the livewell pump, you would be well served with the second battery, and as stated if you fish offshore a second battery is a must.

cheers

Garry

Dantren
24-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Thanks very much for the input.
Sounds like the decision is made.

Dan.

Sean
24-06-2007, 04:16 PM
If you just want to run electrics, I bought a second hand deep cycle battery from a scooter shop for $5. It's only 30 or 40 a/h but it is great. I run sounder, led nav lights, led cabin lights and a live well pump. After a morning's fishing i put the charger on it and is charged in about 10 mins. You wouldn't be able to crank your engine off it though. Sean