PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first rig

CJCC67
18-06-2007, 10:05 PM
HI new to the boating world. I have been reading trailer boat for the last 10 years and finally decided to give up trying to justify $$$ and just bloody spend them for some fun !!!
Got my license about 6 weeks ago and am ready for the next step. I have been looking for about 4 months and have a couple of lovelies on the radar.. Looking for some advice, any experiences and any percularities with these models.
First is a Signature 702C which has a merc 175 offshore. Seen some photos and boat looks well maintained. The motor has some rust on what looks like an arm from the hydraulic steering to the top mounting point of the motor. Some white rust on the trailer.
Will be getting it checked out but intersted in your views. Is the offshore 2 or 4 stroke? Do you think it will have enough power.. Seems like a smallish engine for the size.
Other consdiration is SF680 Hunter with a 200 johnson off shore. It doesn't look as neat as the 702 but wonder if the performance will be better.

Will be using it in southern vic waters

Keen to hear your views

Not sure on the value of me going for a test spin as it will be my first drive, but can't wait.
;D :-/

chuss
19-06-2007, 01:16 AM
If you've never driven or owned a boat. Get someone that knows boats (or marine mechanic, fibreglass repairer) to go with you.

Definately test drive the boat with them and get the engine, hull and trailer inspected. Since you're spending some big $$$, a couple hundred $z now will save you pain later on.

They are big boats, so make sure you also have a tow vehicle capable of handling the towing weight.

Good luck!

BM
19-06-2007, 07:41 AM
The 680 is better powered.

Definitely have it inspected.

Mercs often (well most brands really) rust up a bit on the steering arm. Depending on the degree of rust it usually is not an issue.

As mentioned you'll need a 4WD to tow either boat.

Being your first boat can you manage a 7mtr boat? Thats a lot of boat in inexperienced hands. Not doubting your own abilities just putting the question up as something to consider. will you often be alone or always going out with passengers?

The offshore Merc is a 2 stroke. The Johnno will be also. The 680 is more of a fishing platform and the 702 more a cruiser/all rounder. Whats your main activity?

I'm in Melb so let me know if you want one inspected.

Cheers

Tailortaker
19-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Mate im glad to see your taking the plunge but your gamer than me. I have only be boating for a short time, My goal is to get something like your talking about but i figured for my first boat it was way to big so i opted for a 13ft tinnie with a 25 hp on the back, it gets me around great, it's only small but untill i'm more experienced on the water it's big enough. My dream boat will come along when i'm ready for it... Good luck and congratulations !

CJCC67
19-06-2007, 10:25 PM
BM thanks for the feedback.
My main use is for fishing with my son. Eventually , we want to head out so that's why i was looking at something on the larger side.(also tall so don't want to keep ducking under the rocket launcher :)
We live on the beach at Aspendale and i see how quickly conditions can change, want to make sure the family always feel safe.
The 702 looks better set up for the family and a night out in the strait, but the 6.8 looks life it would keep the ladies happy too!!
I intend to strore it a patterson river so luckily not lanching and retreiving.
I've looked at bluewater 2000 it had a goodlayout and room but is definately more fishing oriented also looked at a hunter 585 it's ok but is expensive and a little cramped Am looking at a 580SF this weekend.. lot cheaper but access under the cabin might be tight .
I intially considered somthing smaller (not less than 5.8) but wasn't sure really what would be easier apart from launch and retrieve??
Spent some time at Stony Point ramp in the wind larger boats looked easier to handle they certinly looked 'right' on the water.
I thought i might hire an experiencied mariner to teach me the important basics.
Have you any experience with the handling of these two.

CJCC67
19-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Tailor can you remember how the first trip out was?

snelly1971
19-06-2007, 11:03 PM
BM is spot on...I own a 98 200 v6 Merc...I have rust rinsed and painted the bloody steering arms time after time...but the rust always comes back...So now i have settled to just coating it with lanolin and this seems to slow the process down....It is quite common ....my yammie was rusty in the same area...

Cheers Mick

Lovey80
19-06-2007, 11:51 PM
Being a big boat wont bother you after the first couple of trips. I've instructed 17 year old kids on boats that can push 100t of transport raft and it doesnt take long to pick it up. You've obviously done a bit of research over the years and if your willing to outlay the big bucks for a nice boat go for it.
My advice on the big boat is take her out into a bay or wide open area and practice motoring up to mooring buoy's and touching them ever so slightly at a stop. (Dont bother looking like a goose). Pick up your speed ever so slowly and practice having to give it more and more reverse to pull you up just on it. Heaps of damage on boats happens in the tight stuff whilst not dangerous is expensive to either fix or on resale. This will give you knowelege of your controls and the tight maouverability of your vessel. Once your an absolute jet at that, you can move onto opening her up. Try to go out on calm days initially until you know how she handles and when you do venture out in more choppy stuff take it easy til your confident.

P.S. Go the boat that offers the better fishing. I look at a boat as the transport to the fishing spot. There's only so long before the cruising part will get boring and the boat doesnt get used.

Just my thoughts

Cheers Chris

Tailortaker
20-06-2007, 09:33 AM
The first trip out went without a hitch, never really had a problem, So you probably wont either exspecially if you will have someone to guide you through the basics. But your right about keeping the ladies happy, mine wont come out in my boat cause its way to small for her likings..I am still dreaming about the big boat. Good luck and have fun.

Grant

mariner_22
20-06-2007, 09:46 AM
The first trip out went without a hitch, never really had a problem, So you probably wont either exspecially if you will have someone to guide you through the basics. But your right about keeping the ladies happy, mine wont come out in my boat cause its way to small for her likings..I am still dreaming about the big boat. Good luck and have fun.

Grant

That sounds like a good selling point to me lol

CJCC67
20-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks chris that's good advice will definately do that. Maybe set up a slalom course !!:D

Fish Guts
20-06-2007, 08:57 PM
had a 702 walkabout with 225 2 stroke merc. think it would be underpowered with the 175. but a great hull, really handles well offshore. all the best with the decision mate.

cheers

fish guts