PDA

View Full Version : Blaze's simple blue fin tuna

blaze
17-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Fisrt wash a nice size new spud and cook in microwave for 5 mins, remove and break open and put a good spoon of butter, sprinke with grate cheese of chose (I used coon), drizzle some olive oil and a squirt of maonaize and other garish if ya like. Now put a little olive oil in a pan and bring to a nice heat and place your bluefin cutlets/steaks in (mine were about 1/2 thick), put a good sprinkle of lemmon pepper on them before putting them in. put them in lemmon pepper side down, now a little more lemon pepper and turn afer about 45 seconds to a minute. Now turn the buggers for about the same time. Open the spud and sit the tuna on top and eat.
Had it for dinner and was happy enough with the outcome, easy to experiment with some more garnish too
cheers
blaze

sleepygreg
17-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Way to go Blaze....now your thinkin like a chef...sounds great. try a bit of coriander as a garnish...and a couple of drops of sesame oil in the pan before you put the fish in.

Greg

WHALEOIL
25-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Have you got any others Blaze?
The Blue Fin were on the chew last week end.

blaze
25-06-2007, 06:47 PM
that one only come about cause I want a feed, the blufin was there, the spud was there and thats what I come up with.

Dont know about this
got sick of plain chips with my fish once so I cut up carrots into chips with a few normal spud ones. made for a bit of added color and flavour.
cheers
blaze

WHALEOIL
26-06-2007, 11:21 AM
I cut up carrots into chips

Are you a chef by any chance Blaze?
I found a few.

These are simple enough.

Grilled Tuna
Ingredients
4 Tuna Steaks
1 bottle Italian Dressing
red pepper
Marinate Tuna Steaks for 2 hours in Italian dressing. Sprinkle red pepper on Steaks. Grill for 5 minutes or until Tuna turns white. Baste while cooking with dressing

Hibachi Tuna Teriyaki
Ingredients
2 lb Yellow fin tuna; sliced thin
1 cup Soy sauce
1/3 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Dry white wine
1 tb Lemon juice; fresh only
1 cup Sake
1 tb Tomato paste
Mix sauce, pour over fish and marinate for 30 minutes.
Preheat the charcoal grill.
Drain off excess marinade and bring to a boil in a sauce pan. Remove from heat.
Grill tuna slices 2-3 minutes on each side.
Remove tuna to serving platter and pour heated sauce over top

This one is a bit over the top.

Spiced Tuna with Pineapple Glaze Recipe
Ingredients

Spice Rub:
1 tablespoon crushed star anise (optional)
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon crushed cardamom
1 tablespoon cumin seeds

Glaze:
1 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup tomato catsup
1/4 cup lime juice (about 2 limes)
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon white pepper
4 (8 ounces each) tuna steaks, about 1-1/2 inches thick
4 slices pineapple, 1 inch thick with the peel left on

Make the spice rub:
Combine all the spice rub ingredients in a large saute pan, mix well, and heat over medium heat, shaking frequently, until they just begin to smoke, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool, then grind in a coffee grinder, spice mill, or mortar and pestle until fine. A mini food processor will work too.
Make the glaze:
Combine the pineapple juice, vinegar, ginger, soy sauce, and brown sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the volume is reduced by half, about 30 minutes. Add the catsup and cook an additional 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the lime juice, cilantro, and white pepper, and mix well.
Rub the tuna on all sides with the spice rub. Grill the tuna over a medium fire for 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until a peek into the interior shows some pink. This is for medium-rare. Spoon some of the glaze over each tuna steak and serve with a slice of pineapple

blaze
26-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Na not a chef and really have no idea, just love the taste of food and dont mind trying different things. Also have trouble cooking to recipes, find it much easier to just chuck it at a pot and try. Make a good punkin soup, threw a rasher of bacon in the other day and wasnt happy with the outcome, still quite good on the pallette but not for a punkin soup.
cheers
blaze
ps
got a friend pickling some tuna ATM for me, interesting to see how that turns out
must go and catch another one

WHALEOIL
26-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Make a good punkin soup

Made some last night for the first time and not a bad nosh at all.

got a friend pickling some tuna ATM for me, interesting to see how that turns out

Sounds interesting.

The bluefin are about up this way at the moment.

blaze
12-07-2007, 10:44 PM
ATM I am feeding my face on pickled bluefin and a glass of wine, sweet.
Dont know the recipe, will ask the guy that did it.
Wifes verdict - how can ya eat that stinking sh*t
Daughters verdict - looks good (she is in WA and only seen it on web cam)
My verdict- where are the bluefin
cheers
blaze