PDA

View Full Version : steps on transoms

boatie
17-06-2007, 05:20 PM
hey guys,

when i get the new boat :) i am going to get a numer of things put on it like bow and side rails, live bait tank, floors and a rear step on the transom. i was just woundering if anybody had some sizes that they recon is a good size for a step on the transom. i am planning on getting them made from 25mm pipe for the frame and have checerplate on the top of the step. you recon that 25mm will be stromg enough also do you think that i should get them on both sides or just the left or right side?

thanks Boatie.

juju
17-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Have them out 250mm or so...otherwise they are too close to the back and you cant lean foward as such to step in...i had some on a13 footer once that were just a bit too close...you would scrape your shin as you got in......get both sides..they do come in handy

boatie
17-06-2007, 05:50 PM
tghanks Juju
250mm wide sounds good, you recon that 350mm long would be plenty. i am going to extend the side rail around and down the back of the transom( hope you can understand me, all looks good in my mind!!!) and get it welded to the step so it is nice and strong and looks good. i will get them on both sides.

Boatie

juju
17-06-2007, 06:39 PM
I get what you mean....like whats on this stebi....without the ladder bit....

boatie
17-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Hey juju
yeah! thats what i am talking about. i might angle the inside face so it creates a V away from the outboard. i reckon it will look better than coming square off the the transom.

Boatie

SCOTTYGC
17-06-2007, 09:16 PM
i have a big step on the transom on my boat

it is 630mm wide at its widest point and is 330 deep heres a few pics

Lovey80
18-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Looks good there Scotty perfect setup or that transom is it duplicated the same on the right??? Looks like if so the boat is full of stickers. ha i hope its not as bad as those westy utes with the bundy stickers and RM Williams mudflaps

Cheers Chris

Lovey80
18-06-2007, 12:54 AM
Actually this is time to stir the pot in the 4x4 section with the 4x4 utes. look how much response i get.

Cheers Chris

SCOTTYGC
18-06-2007, 08:16 AM
there is no step on the other side

boatie
18-06-2007, 06:15 PM
thanks scottygc

i like the way you have it angled away from the outboard:). i am going to do that as well.

i have to work somethin out on one of the sides because i want to put the electric on one side. ( just rembered :P ) what side do you reckon the electric should go on?

Boatie

SCOTTYGC
19-06-2007, 07:42 AM
what side do you reckon the electric should go on?

Boatie

depends on how you use your electric

if you are trolling lures while useing it i would put it on the drivers side so you can reach it easy

if you use it for other reasons i guess its up to you

cheers

Dignity
19-06-2007, 06:59 PM
boatie, does your missus go with you? My rig is fibreglass and it had duckboards either side of the pod and a rail on the outside but as we are getting older my missus found that while she could grab the rail she had nowhere els eto grab with her other hand other than the motor so I installed another rail on the inside near the motor. Makes one hell of a difference, so much so that I use it all the time myself and wonder why I never thought of it. Best $60 I ever spent on a boat, even other friends have used it and commented on the ease of getting aboard. Worth thinking of doing on one side or the other.

boatie
19-06-2007, 08:18 PM
boatie, does your missus go with you?

Dignity, no im only 16 (still trying to find the right one;) ) that could be an idea as mum / dad will come in the boat. The new boat is going to be a 3.8m Bluefin so you would be able to grab the transom wouldnt you?

SCOTTYGC, i think i will put in on the drivers side (right hand side from back) because i will be trolling lures and they are bloody usefull when you are drifting and you want to get away from mangroves or rocks or something. Quicker and easer than pull starting the outboard! and you dont scare the fish as much hey.

boatie
19-06-2007, 08:19 PM
boatie, does your missus go with you?

Dignity, no im only 16 (still trying to find the right one;) ) that could be an idea as mum / dad will come in the boat. The new boat is going to be a 3.8m Bluefin so you would be able to grab the transom wouldnt you?

SCOTTYGC, i think i will put in on the drivers side (right hand side from back) because i will be trolling lures and they are bloody usefull when you are drifting and you want to get away from mangroves or rocks or something. Quicker and easer than pull starting the outboard! and you dont scare the fish as much hey.