PDA

View Full Version : The E-tec debate pros and cons

Steven78
17-06-2007, 10:35 AM
I have been reading this article these people seem to be very well informed
http://www.oceanskiffjournal.com/SubscriberContent/Articles/Vol01Issue05/General/ETEC1.aspx
I and sick to death about E-tec bashing just because people dont like new things or change. All brands of donks have there issues its a mater of wieghing them up to suit your purpose. I know people with other popular brands with major issuses but they put them asside. I think the PR of BRD is not the best its more yank wank stuff which is not suited by us dinkydie aussise. Please fell free to comment and I hope I have not offended to many people.

Please dont give up on the E-tec / poly jokes as they are funny :D

Cya Steve

juju
17-06-2007, 11:45 AM
The best rig you can get is a 12 foot bondwood, powerd by a seagull ...towed by a EH holden...if you want to do beach stuff look at a series 1 landrover.....10 foot cane rod with a alvey (rosewood spool)......blue platypus mono line.....
It will all come back i tell ya......look at water tanks!!........i got my E-tec........very happy with it.....as i am with my drink can boat.....not like he good drink cans that were made of steel but....of when coke came in a bottle and you got a bonus handline out of it when it was empty......im happy to try something new.....no ones invented the perfect outboard yet...all have a problem from time to time....who cares as long as your happy with...your paying for it after all......
PS i still stand by my purchase of a beta vcr !!

Shane Dyer
17-06-2007, 11:48 AM
steve i have heard of some bad feedback or you could maybe call them rumours of boaties having a lot of trouble with e-tec's,but as i know a few boaties that are running them and they have only praise for them. I guess seeing is believing. The only query i have with the E-tec (will only ever be proven over time)is it seems to be such a small block to hp ratio.does this mean that smaller lighter parts have been used to achieve a lighter smaller motor that would have a smaller bore stroke which would increase reving capacity,this is only an observation/theory that may be proven in time to be rubbish.in saying that from what knowledge i have of the current E-tec i wouldnt hesitate to have one on my boat.

Shane Dyer
17-06-2007, 11:58 AM
spot on champion

juju
17-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Im yet to come across anyone who has had any real problems, ...yes you can get feedback problems witha 27 meg,..yes i hate the way you cant see the tell tail to check its pumping water when your running along......but so far ive found nothing that would put me off getting another one........i reckon too many people make a big deal about the no service for 3 years bit.......i had mine checked after 30 hours.....there is no reason why you cant get a service done when you like ......then out comes the fitec bit.........but thats like saying a 07 falcon is no good because the 2000 model had some problem......im sure if there were real problems forums like this would have been alive with gossip by now......then you get the comment "wait until they hit 200 hours".......its a no win........polycrafts will crack up after 10 years.....its gos on and on.....

Steven78
17-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the comments and keep them coming. I am the same I am yet to find someone that owns or had owned an E-etc that had major problems which could not be fixed. I know there were a few dealers that had problems in the past as allot of the techs had to learn them and build up fault history knowledge to fix things. Plus the Tech working on them now need better PC skills.

Shane Dyer
17-06-2007, 01:51 PM
that is a fantastic point steven,modern technology is moving at such a rapid rate in the design and construction process by the manufacturers,but in some cases lagging behind in the after sales and service processes. The reason can only be lack of technician training by either a dealership or perhaps not enough info from bombardier to the dealership. The other scenario could possibly be that the Marine Mechanic trade could be an ageing one and the older generation struggling to keep up with the modern technology,which can be understandable.I have been in the plumbing industry for many years and see it quite regularly and in more cases than not its not that ageing tradesman arent capable but simply tired and arent willing to learn modern technology as they consider to be winding down their career. Maybe a Marine mechanic/technician who may read this give a respsonse to my opinion and also thoughts on their experience with E-TECS.

BM
17-06-2007, 02:07 PM
BRP's marketing really is better than peopel realise because we see so many posts on so many forums about "Etecs" when the posts really should be referring to "Direct Injection 2 strokes".....

An etec is an opti is a hpdi is a TLDI..... all direct injection 2 stroke engines. Essentially the same technology but differnet ways of reaching the endpoint.

Really, if we are going to sh!tcan etecs we better include all the other DI engines coz its the same thing with a different colour and name.....

And ultimately, they are here to stay. The outboard future is 4 stroke and DI 2 stroke.

Cheers

juju
17-06-2007, 03:30 PM
You would think that this was a complete new maker, sure its BRP as the owners, but its not a bunch of first timers making the outboard.....i watched a show on cable where the took you to the factory and explained the tinking behind why they did this and that......they started from the ground up and had a look at all systems and then looked to how improvements could be made, or if something was better left because it was reliable...the testing area was interesting..they were flogging the guts out of them...sure you didnt see anything fail...but it made good viewing

blaze
17-06-2007, 04:33 PM
made for some interesting reading, but to be fair to your self make sure you read all the links too. I found it to be an unbais review and the best I have seen.
cheers
blaze

Mercury16
17-06-2007, 05:14 PM
I recieved a free DVD informing you of how good the e-tec is. And in some of the tests i believe they were "untrue" or "rigged"
after Reading the article about the Drag race. There are claims about the reason they used the verado (4 stroke) is so evinrude would win. But shouldnt they test 2 stroke against 2 stroke? In this case the optimax should be the competitor. Also i have a copy of club marine magazine and it has a 1 page advertisement for the optimax and it tested a 90hp e-tec against a 90hp optimax in the "drag race" and its results conclude that the optimax reached a top end speed of 69 but the evinrude only reached 67. Also in the dvd the evinrude proved to be more fuel efficiant then the verdao. again it can be argued that they used a verado in fear that the optimax would win this challenge. In the mercury advertisement it did. 3.28 Kilometres on one Litre of fuel and the e-tec did 2.85. this is just my opinion on what i have seen.
i will attach a scanned copy of this article in the next post.

Peter

Mercury16
17-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Here is the advertisment.
sorry it isnt as clear as it could have been.
cheers Peter

disorderly
17-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Mercury16,

If you read all of the link provided,all of your questions will be answered.
It seems to be a well researched detailed analysis of the claims made by BRP as well as providing info on the test that you have mentioned.

Scott

Steven78
17-06-2007, 06:55 PM
As i said before all Donks have there good point thats why we buy them.

bushbeachboy
18-06-2007, 09:42 AM
It's very similar to the Poly boats thing. IMO they are good boats, but everyone won't like them. And people keep bashing poly boats, but it makes no difference to me. I own one and like it, but if you don't then don't buy one. Vote with your wallet.

And I think it's ok to stir a bit too. I'm happy to tell tinny owners that they have a rough riding noisy dog dish. And they're happy to tell me I own tupperware or a wheelie bin. It's all a bit of fun. It's even better if you have more fish in your esky at the end of the day.

So if you own an etec, be advised that it's an expensive overweight anchor.:P Not like my trusty, light Yammie carby 2 stroke. Hehe.

sea raider
18-06-2007, 10:26 AM
One thing that I have noticed on most of these threads are that any claims of the Etecs breaking down or being unreliable have been by heresay, I think I can recall only one owner who has posted a thread saying he has had a major problem, but he then turned around and said he would buy another one!!

Most of the Etec "bashers" seem to have had no experience with the motors at all and are basing their allegations on their percieved prejudices. If the motors were all that bad, wouldnt you think there would be some direct input by people who actually have had these so called problems with them?

As far as BRP's advertising, yes it is a bit over the top, (A load of Yank Wank as it has already been described). I tend not to pay too much attention to that sort of crap, especially where our North American friends are involved. As far as I know, those videos weren't around when I bought mine, all I had were a couple of reports, one from a pro fisherman in Townsville who had one and another from a guy in WA who had just changed his Optimax over for one, both reports had the owners giving them glowing reports so thats what influenced me.

I have had first hand experience of the mechanica keeping up with technology, we had two dealers here in Cairns who sold them. Unfortunately, I bought mine from the wrong one, his mechanics did not seem to be in tune with the technology on the Etecs and while I had no major broblems, my motor used way too much oil and fuel. One trip to the other dealer fixed that, they are much more tuned in to the needs of the Etec and seem determined to make sure the motor succeeds. They even pointed out that the other shonky dealer had taken the Stainless steel prop off and replaced it with an aluminium one. (I have heard that the dealer I bought mine from is no longer a BRP dealer)

Maybe with so many owners giving the Etec such a good rap, the knockers are starting to feel that their old technology engines are inferior!! Honestly, I think in most situations it is a case of being afraid of new technology but hey, where would the world be without new technology???

Cheers

Geoff

Steven78
19-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Many Thanks Sea raider.

Shane Dyer
19-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Dont worry boys,yankee built will do me,i own a 2006 75hp mercury 2stroke ,said i would never own a merc,love it and would only buy another yankee built motor.only worry about your own experience with your own motor,heresay is more likely to be bullshit or jealousy. I have heard conflicting rumours re; E-tec but i have a very good source (or two) that rates E-tecs and that is enough 4 me.

Getout
20-06-2007, 07:13 AM
yes i hate the way you cant see the tell tail to check its pumping water when your running along

Isn't that what the water pressure guage is for?
I must admit that the first time I ran mine, it was on the ear muffs and I was sure that the water pump was faulty, cause it took forever to pump water out the telltale.
I can't fault my Etec. One year old (forty hours), starts first pop, pretty quiet, not too smelly, goes faster than I care to drive and is really good on fuel. I had it serviced at thirty hours and it didn't cost a fortune to check the water pump and the computer mapping.
I'm sure that I would be just as happy with a modern four-stroke.
It is a shame that Evinrude's advertising was initially so antagonistic, but I guess they had a bit of ground to recover.

Shanoss
20-06-2007, 07:20 AM
Well i suppose it would have something to do with what you would classify as a "problem". Sea Raider, you mentioned that your motor was usung too much fuel and oil when you bought it? Sounds to me like a problem. And i'm sure I've read posts on here about other "small" problems" that people have had with their Etecs. Yes, all these problems get fixed in a hurry, but i would be fuming if my outboard left me stranded when it was only a couple of hours old.
From what i can gather, Etecs seem to suffer a few minor glitches when they are straight out of the box. Perhaps the dealers should be running them in before delivery. Other than that, its the silly adverts that get most people going i think.

Shane

sea raider
20-06-2007, 08:36 AM
Shane,

I would clasify a problem with the motor as just that, a problem with the motor. If that problem has been caused by the ineptitude of the dealer which set it up, then its not a problem caused by the motor itself.

And yes, I would classify being stranded when the motor was a couple of hours old a problem, I would be spewing too.

After the run I have had from my e-tec, I would recommend them to anyone. But I would also add a clause that you buy it from a reputable dealer and check that their technicians have been properly factory trained.

Cheers,

Geoff

Shanoss
20-06-2007, 09:43 AM
What was it exactly that was set up incorrectly Geoff? Apart from the prop which would explain the fuel, but i'm curious as to what would make it use more oil than it should. Not a dig, just curious.

Shane

sea raider
20-06-2007, 11:28 AM
The engines can be set up so that you can use one of three different grades of oil, the XD25, XD50 or XD100, the 25 being basically the standard two stroke oil. All the technician has to do is plug in his laptop and adjust the setting of the motor for the different type of oil. If for example the engine is set for XD25 or XD50, because it's not the same grade of oil, the motor uses more of it (and fuel), pretty well the same as a standard two stroke, when it is set for the XD100, the engine uses very little oil as well as less fuel.

That's the way I understand it anyway. If any of this is incorrect, please fell free to correct me.

When I picked up my boat with the new motor, unbeknown to me, the "technician" (in this case I use that description very loosely) had not set the motor to run on XD100, but on XD25. Because of that I was burning the expensive stuff at about four times the rate that I should have been. I believe that the setting made the engine use more fuel as well.

Not only that, but the guy had set the motor one spot too low, which gave me all sorts of problems in getting the boat to plane as well as using more fuel again.

All that was sorted out when I took the engine to the other dealer in town (Mitchells Marine!! thanks guys) who had a technician who knew what he was doing and picked all those problems up. Since they adjusted everything and I put the Stainless prop on, fuel and oil consumption have improved out of this world (dont ask me for figures because I havn't been keeping tabs on it).

Hopes that helps,

Cheers

Geoff

Shanoss
20-06-2007, 01:39 PM
interesting. I had no idea they would have a setting like that. I wonder....... is it possible to activate the Four Stroke setting on them? that would make life alot easier. lol

johnsonMAN
20-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Mercury16 -Woopty doo. If you want a speed boat go get a Wakrboarding boat with a Jet engine.
We own fishing boats not speed boats right?
Those 'Tugga-war' test's aren't always accurate.
Does 2km/h off top end speed really matter?
Does it matter which outboard has the best up and go?

IMO if you are looking for an outboard get an outboard that suits your needs, will be a reliable motor and give u pleasure boating out on the water.
This isn't aimed at any brand im just saying does a few km/h faster/slower really matter?
Thanks

juju
20-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Some guys go to allot of trouble trying to squeze out a few extra klm.......never been able to understand why...i can do around 60...but sit on 40 most times..less fuel , not as hard on the outboard...better ride........when was the last time anyone had a drag race getting out from the ramp???..
Ps Im still waiting to hear of some problems......bad stories.......waiting.....waiting....seems quiet.....;)

Mercury16
20-06-2007, 05:44 PM
What eva mate, clearly you dont understand what i meant!

cormorant
20-06-2007, 06:24 PM
I didn't know the oil setting changed the fuel ecconomy. Would be interested to find out if this is correct. Not sure you would change the fuel map on a engine ECU when you change the oil mapping.

Your prop change and one hole up will make it a diferent boat and amazing the difference on ecconomy when on the plane.

Great to see you got it all fixed

just_cruisin
20-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Steven,
The way I see it is...
The BRP marketing scheme has really got under alot of peoples skin (myself included). Trying to trash the oposition with phony tests & reports, yer some of there claims may be true (not alot), but mercury's optimax fuel injection system (as initially designed by Aussie's) has been doing, what BRP claims to be groundbreaking stuff, for years.
All tests I have sited, not conducted by BRP, have had no were near the same results as what BRP claims.

What happens is.. a new E-tec owner comes out with all guns blazing, claiming this thing is the ducks nuts, when most probably, alot of his/her thoughts/observations are actually the creation/result of the above mentioned informercials and shite.

sjp2
20-06-2007, 09:15 PM
how come nobodys mentioned price (as far as ive read)
suzuki 4st 70 hp $9500 martin marine
etec 75 $10,530 yatala marine
and sure if you want to compare same hp,the 60 hp in etec $1200 dearer then the same yammi 4st

saurian
20-06-2007, 11:21 PM
SJP , I'm no etec fan . Remember when a yamaha50 hp fourstroke was $11,000 odd dollars.
They can't stay above 4 stroke pricing forever....slug the customer while the goings good.
Ta

leezor
21-06-2007, 07:12 AM
I agree Saurian, I was quoted more than $2k extra for an Etec 225 over a Suzuki DF225. Hard to justify the extra $, after all they do claim to be simpler, less parts etc etc etc, no prizes for guessing which way I went.

finding_time
21-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Not only that, but the guy had set the motor one spot too low, which gave me all sorts of problems in getting the boat to plane as well as using more fuel again.

Hopes that helps,

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff

This is really funny;D ;D Isn't that what evinrude did to the opti they put up against the E-tec in THAT add!! Maybe your installer was a opti guy at heart and was seeking revenge;)

Ian

Ps. the 2 things that sh!T me about E-tec's are the Advert's and Zealot's that have found God on the back of there boat and feel they have to tell the world about this new wonder!!!!::) Bloody worse than the born agains you lot!!:P

If the motors are as good as claimed they will gain full exceptance once a few have logged 3000 + engine hours, only time will tell and zealot's ranting's will not speed up this process for the careful consumer. The comments by Getout are interesting " 40hours without a problem" well i should bloody hope so as i can put this many hours on in 3 days , once he get's to 1000 hours then the talk should start, it's that sort of talk that will do E-tecs the most good.;)

disorderly
21-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Has anybody else noticed that whenever E-tecs are mentioned people come crawling out of the woodwork everywhere with negative comments galore.

New scientific studies have just been released and a name has been given to this condition.

E-TEC OBSESSION SYNDROME has already claimed many victims and if not treated early can lead to the breakdown of affected individuals and there families.

Some of the symptoms include:-

Extreme ENVY toward those who have chosen E-Tecs as there brand of motor.

A deep seated desire to NEGATIVELY VERBALLY ATTACK owners of E-Tecs .

Onset of a INFERIORITY COMPLEX about there current motor.

A deep REGRET at not having chosen an E-Tec

If not treated victims can also begin to exhibit delusional behavior.Some recorded episodes include :-

Rantings about E-Tecs catching fire.

Fears of there boat being pulled underwater(particularly with 4 stroke owners.)

Spraypainting ones motor white or black and applying pirate copys of E-Tec stickers to the cowling(easily identified due to a spelling error ie E-tek)

Fabrication of E-tec incidents in an effort to damage there reputation.

If you or a loved one have experienced any of these above afflictions then dont hesitate .Contact our councillors at:-

ETEC'S ANONYMOUS call now on 1800 542 876

If left untreated ETEC OBSESSION SYNDROME can lead to PARANOIA and in some cases a lack of belief in there current choice of car,boat,motor even wife.

ETEC"S ANONYMOUS

1800 623 098

"We treat owners of all motor denominations"

just_cruisin
21-06-2007, 09:38 AM
haha, this coming from someone by the name of "disordely"

Have a look at the intitial post to this thread. Someone trying to call the E-tec technology new, this my friend is what bugs people.

finding_time
21-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Has anybody else noticed that whenever E-tecs are mentioned people come crawling out of the woodwork everywhere with negative comments galore.

New scientific studies have just been released and a name has been given to this condition.

E-TEC OBSESSION SYNDROME has already claimed many victims and if not treated early can lead to the breakdown of affected individuals and there families.

Some of the symptoms include:-

Extreme ENVY toward those who have chosen E-Tecs as there brand of motor.

A deep seated desire to NEGATIVELY VERBALLY ATTACK owners of E-Tecs .

Onset of a INFERIORITY COMPLEX about there current motor.

A deep REGRET at not having chosen an E-Tec

If not treated victims can also begin to exhibit delusional behavior.Some recorded episodes include :-

Rantings about E-Tecs catching fire.

Fears of there boat being pulled underwater(particularly with 4 stroke owners.)

Spraypainting ones motor white or black and applying pirate copys of E-Tec stickers to the cowling(easily identified due to a spelling error ie E-tek)

Fabrication of E-tec incidents in an effort to damage there reputation.

If you or a loved one have experienced any of these above afflictions then dont hesitate .Contact our councillors at:-

ETEC'S ANONYMOUS call now on 1800 542 876

If left untreated ETEC OBSESSION SYNDROME can lead to PARANOIA and in some cases a lack of belief in there current choice of car,boat,motor even wife.

ETEC"S ANONYMOUS

1800 623 098

"We treat owners of all motor denominations"

Bloody hell Disorderly!! Your exactally the type of Zealot i'm talking about!! You have obviously brought a E-tec and your very happy with it..Great! Now how about getting on with your life.

Ian

One question though... When you buy one, does the agent pair you up with another owner , put the pair of you on bicycles and send you out into the world to door knock people and extol the virtues of the Blessed E-tec's?

Wahoo
21-06-2007, 09:58 AM
just checked out the web site on the 2008 etec
seems they are rebadgeing the name, looks good to

ASPRO - TEC ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D

ok ok just kidding, im going now

GBC
21-06-2007, 10:19 AM
ASPRO - TEC ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D

I don't care who y'all are - that's some funny sh!t right there.

Please keep this thread going - work is killing me today.

How about I say something like - e-tecs fell out of the same genetis tree as the outboard that dare not speak its name..................

ficht

sea raider
21-06-2007, 10:51 AM
haha, this coming from someone by the name of "disordely"

Have a look at the intitial post to this thread. Someone trying to call the E-tec technology new, this my friend is what bugs people.

I have been reading this article these people seem to be very well informed
http://www.oceanskiffjournal.com/Sub...ral/ETEC1.aspx (http://www.oceanskiffjournal.com/SubscriberContent/Articles/Vol01Issue05/General/ETEC1.aspx)
I and sick to death about E-tec bashing just because people dont like new things or change. All brands of donks have there issues its a mater of wieghing them up to suit your purpose. I know people with other popular brands with major issuses but they put them asside. I think the PR of BRD is not the best its more yank wank stuff which is not suited by us dinkydie aussise. Please fell free to comment and I hope I have not offended to many people.

Please dont give up on the E-tec / poly jokes as they are funny :D

Cya Steve

Dont see anything about new technology in that!!:-[ :-[

You having trouble reading Just_Cruisin???:huh2: :huh2:
Thats what bugs me, people making assumptions which are not right!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cheers

Geoff

sea raider
21-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Geoff

This is really funny;D ;D Isn't that what evinrude did to the opti they put up against the E-tec in THAT add!! Maybe your installer was a opti guy at heart and was seeking revenge;)

Ian

Ps. the 2 things that sh!T me about E-tec's are the Advert's and Zelot's that have found God on the back of there boat and feel they have to tell the world about this new wonder!!!!::) Bloody worse than the born agains you lot!!:P

If the motors are as good as claimed they will gain full exceptance once a few have logged 3000 + engine hours, only time will tell and zelot's ranting's will not speed up this process for the careful consumer. The comments by Getout are interesting " 40hours without a problem" well i should bloody hope so as i can put this many hours on in 3 days , once he get's to 1000 hours then the talk should start, it's that sort of talk that will do E-tecs the most good.;)

Ian,

Could be thats what happened to the the Opti, who would know???

Hey, I agree with you about the adverts, surely no realistic person would think they are very credible, but some of them (especially the guy who loses his clothes, which is the only one I've seen aired on Aussie TV) are very funny, I'm sure you would agree!

I also agree with you about the 1000+ hours, but, as a wise man (Confucius I think)once said, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step". They have to start somewhere don't they. There should be some motors out there which are starting to rack up the hours, it would be interesting to here from some owners about how many hours they have knocked up!!

However, I do take offence to being called a zealot!

If someone asks me what I think of a product which I own or have owned and I have had a good experience with that product, then I am going to have nothing but good things to say about that product. Yes, there were some negatives with the e-tec, but they were all traced back to how the initial dealer set the thing up and not a problem with the product itself. I also cannot recollect any of the E-tec owners on this forum ranting about how good they are, I might be wrong, but all I have seen is people relating their good experiences with the motor. Yes, some (including myself) have got our backs up at some of the comments which have been thrown around and reacted accordingly.

Hey, if you dont want to read the good things about the E-tecs, then dont read the threads about them, because I can assure you , there will be a majority of good things said about them.

My five cents worth!!

Cheers

Geoff

Greg P
21-06-2007, 11:54 AM
I thought the ad with the guy getting kneed in the crackers by the dealer was funny ;D;D;D;D

FNQCairns
21-06-2007, 12:28 PM
It's very hard to stay out of an e-tec thread:) I have no brand loyalties I am not a very commercial type of person, never impressed by stuff because it is new, more impressed by stuff if it works as designed for a design period as the minimum expectation.

As such I have a beef with injectors that cost $1200 each to replace also with fuel pumps that cost $1000 to replace and sensors that leave the owner majorly out of pocket with no end to the original problem. The above is not confined to just the high tech 2st the 4 strokes have their share.

The cost of ownership over 10 years per 100 engines today scares the daylights out of me but only because I have seen the era where any outboard sold that needed to go back for a trouble-shoot caused by design (not owner abuse) in the first 10 years of ownership got a real bagging as piece scat!

Times have changed owners in the US of some of the new 2st technology consider it typical if they need to replace a fuel pump, injector, a sensor all at 5 years and out of warranty for up to 25% of the new engine purchase price. Talk about a jip!

With injectors and typical use of a recreational outboards (layups for weeks at a time, fuel issues also) it is not beyond reality a person may need to replace every injector at some stage within 10 years!! also the fuel pump/s and a couple of sensors, this is real world stuff it will happen!

I can see engines costing an extra $10k to own for 10 years as not unbelievable, ahhh the price of progress.

there was a time when a large percentage would buy a 4cyl engine new, put it on and just run it for the next 10 years with only the most basic or nill maintenance and fully expect to be able to continue using it with nil problems, say 1 or 2 forced trips to the mechanics for crud in the carbs where they also change the impeller and leg oil while it is there, times have changed, but for me not in the direction I am comfortable with, on my dime anyway.

Just rambling, I like them all just wouldn't own any of them at this point in time, the optis have come good, the hpdi has also and the teething problems the e-tec has will also come good but they will all still be a pocket time bomb, each to their own what people look for in recreation.

cheers fnq

just_cruisin
21-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Sea Raider, are you kidding youself.
'I am sick to death about E-tec bashing just because people dont like new things or change'
Are you trying to tell me the above statement is not talking about new technologies, cmon mate!!!

I am not trying to start arguments here. The initial poster requested comments on the issue.

By the way..Nice Avatar... :-X

finding_time
21-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Ian,

However, I do take offence to being called a zealot!

My five cents worth!!

Cheers

Geoff

Goeff

Dont take offense, but you are a zealot mate

A zealot is according to the collins dictionary an enthusiast and or fanatic! Anyone who as there avtar has a picture of there outboard:o can only be well on their way towards being a zealot;) But the fervour that you put into your support and defense of e-tec's at every oppertunity confirm's you as fully fledged Zealot.

If you were financially benifiting from E-tecs becomming more popular well this i can understand, but support for supports sake is just what what i've called it.

Ian

samson
21-06-2007, 01:04 PM
My old 90 etec had 800 plus hours on the clock without much dramas got an upgrade since then 115 etec has 550 on the clock only probs with both engines so far has been that the throttle cables needed adjusting apart from that can't fault them, mind you the hours for both engines combined have only been clocked up over the last two and a half years a reasonably short period of time, but only time will tell how much punishment their willing to take as Finding Time has stated. I would not hesitate to get another which might be on the cards soon with a bigger boat on order soon but would love to try one of those suzuki fours to see what all the fuss is about, but that would only happen if the range in my boat was increased signifacantly thus making it justafiable as etecs are very reliable so far.
Cheers samson

disorderly
21-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Bloody hell Disorderly!! Your exactally the type of Zelot i'm talking about!! You have obviously brought a E-tec and your very happy with it..Great! Now how about getting on with your life.

Ian

One question though... When you buy one, does the agent pair you up with another owner , put the pair of you on bicycles and send you out into the world to door knock people and extol the virtues of the Blessed E-tec's?

Ian,If you dont have one and dont want one why spend so much time and energy worrying about them.
Its a definite case of ETEC OBSESSION SYNDROME.
Better seek help immediately!

Oh by the way, whats a zelot? Isnt it a small ground dwelling mammal or something......

finding_time
21-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Very happy with my motors atm, but i'm sure i would be very happy with suski's, merc's, evinrudes and honda's as well , in fact it matters little to me what brand of motor i would use, just as long as it's reliable;)

that what actually makes me laugh so much at you E-tec guys! It seems your trying to prove something every time you talk about your motors. I never really talked about my motors, but they have been round for years and many have logged over 4000 hrs , so no need to talk them up i guess

Ian

Samson

That's great mate! i really dont have a problem with e-tecs at all it's just some owners. Good to hear there logging good hrs though you never know when i'l be looking for new outboards., cant see myself going back to a engine that requires a oil bottle though, enjoy the 1 less thing to worry about i guess.

Ian

sea raider
21-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Goeff

Dont take offense, but you are a zelot mate

A zelot is according to the collins dictionary an enthusiast and or fanatic! Anyone who as there avtar has a picture of there outboard:o can only be well on their way towards being a zelot;) But the fervour that you put into your support and defense of e-tec's at every oppertunity confirm's you as fully fledged Zelot.

If you were financially benifiting from E-tecs becomming more popular well this i can understand, but support for supports sake is just what what i've called it.

Ian

Hmm,

The definition from the Oxford English Dictionary is;

• noun 1 a fanatical and uncompromising follower of a religion or policy. 2 (Zealot) a member of an ancient Jewish sect aiming at a world Jewish theocracy and resisting the Romans until ad 70.

Well, I am definitely not fanatical, I definitely can be compromised, I definitely am not religious or a member of an ancient Jewish sect.

Isnt it funny how two different dictionarys can have two distinctly different meanings.
:lolk: :lolk: :lolk: :lolk:

And I definitely am not gaining financially from the thing, if anything everything I have to buy every time I go fishing, it's costing me heaps!!!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Cheers

Geoff

Mercury16
21-06-2007, 03:59 PM
The funniest ad is when the guy reverses his boat with a yamaha into the water and hits a wharf and peices of wood go flying evrywhere bahahahaha
and they are saying this happened becasue it spent to much time in the shop being serviced. And E-tecs only need it every three years or so.
must admit they have great ads, another one is a kid with big ears goes for a ride in one and when he returns they are normal (like pinned back) bahahahaha
they are classic!

deadbeatloser
21-06-2007, 07:17 PM
yamaha four strokes . no1

Shanoss
21-06-2007, 07:31 PM
yamaha four strokes . no1

If the shoe fits........

manchild
21-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the interesting read mate.I choosen mine on the advise of a good friend who runs a 90 for the last 2.5 years or so .He also happenes to be a pro crabber who knows his outboards ,hes got ovet 3600 hours on his .Thats all the encouriging i need it.What everybody else says its is irrivelant.I heard from a mates grandma's butchers neighbour that e-tecs are bad -something like that.Its just another brand of outboard out there.,why some blokes feel like they have to belittle them its beyond me.Enjoy whatever motor you have.
George

Steven78
22-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Many Thanks for the post its good to hear from both side's

cormorant
26-06-2007, 01:36 PM
With the ECU being downloadable on the etecs and some of the others it would be interesting to see what the wreckers are seeing through their doors and at just how many hours failures are happening. All the manufacturers would be starting to get a clear picture of what engines in what climates are failing and why. Just wondering is the dealers actually download the data and serial numbers and send it off to the head office or they just don't bother.
Many luxury car companies now do this regularly so they can moniter their cars out there in real life and on some demo models in fleets add a extra black box so they can monitor the extra wear and tear by heavy users to predict failures.

It's about all outboard manufacturers gave solid warranties and stuck by them and produce a product labled properly showing expected lifetime on a certain usege. Well it won't happen and we will all be at the mercy of spare parts prices and maintainance on parts thet have been manufactured for a set redundancy rather than long life.

the_bomber
26-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Goeff

Dont take offense, but you are a zelot mate

A zelot is according to the collins dictionary an enthusiast and or fanatic! Anyone who as there avtar has a picture of there outboard:o can only be well on their way towards being a zelot;) But the fervour that you put into your support and defense of e-tec's at every oppertunity confirm's you as fully fledged Zelot.

Ian

Hi Ian
How does the collins dictionary spell zealot?
Just curious because you had it out to quote it:-X
Maybe its just my lsydexia?

finding_time
26-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Hi Ian
How does the collins dictionary spell zealot?
Just curious because you had it out to quote it:-X
Maybe its just my lsydexia?

Yes it is dyslexia!!;) As you know i've been hamstrung with this disorder for my entire life!!:-[ Didn't really expect a friend of 20 years to use it for a cheap laugh though:P

Thanks for that

Ian;D

disorderly
26-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Yes it is dyslexia!!;) As you know i've been hamstrung with this disorder for my entire life!!:-[ Didn't really expect a friend of 20 years to use it for a cheap laugh though:P

Thanks for that

Ian;D

Geez Ian,

Dyslexia and ETEC OBSESSION SYNDROME ....you are in a bad wayhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif
The only cure is to stop butting into ETEC threads and badmouthing them and their owners when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Regards Scott

Mercury16
26-06-2007, 05:58 PM
E-tec obsession can only be cured with a dose of Mercury;)

FNQCairns
26-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Optimax, for the first or so 5 years of those (still?) US engine rebulders would rebuild them but wouldn't offer a warrenty due to the likelyhood of them coming back.

Suspect the Etec (if it can be rebuilt, have heard it cannot in the traditional sense) is off to a very good start in comparison.

cheers fnq

manchild
26-06-2007, 06:04 PM
COUGHH-COUGHH::)

Luke G
26-06-2007, 06:12 PM
I got that E-tec DVD from the latest trialer boat. It's easy to see how necomes get sucked it. I recall one test on 3 bay boats, one with an E-tec and two more with 4 stoke yamaha and mecurys. They staged it so the boat would porpouse with the heavier 4 strokes by trimming them right up. Quite funny really.

Cheers

disorderly
26-06-2007, 07:04 PM

I'll pay that,mercury16.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif
Pretty humorous one liner,indeedhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif

However the correct answer is:-

ETEC OBSESSION can only be truly cured with the purchase of an ETEChttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif
The envy, jealousy and bigotry disappears immediately http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Scott

Spaniard_King
26-06-2007, 07:23 PM
you know I love it when people put up arguments quoting some pro has x thousand hours on his engine so it must be good.

I cant see how this relates to %99 of rec boaters. Do they actually beleive their new engine will age and last like the guy with thousands of hours in a short time:P concidering most rec boaties struggle to run up 100hrs a year.. hmm 2000 in 2 years.. preserve that one for 18 more years and then compare them.

Garry

disorderly
26-06-2007, 07:58 PM
you know I love it when people put up arguments quoting some pro has x thousand hours on his engine so it must be good.

I cant see how this relates to %99 of rec boaters. Do they actually beleive their new engine will age and last like the guy with thousands of hours in a short time:P concidering most rec boaties struggle to run up 100hrs a year.. hmm 2000 in 2 years.. preserve that one for 18 more years and then compare them.

Garry

You are spot on Gary.
Nobody really knows how these new motors will hold up after years of recreational use.They just havent been around long enough yet for this to be determined.

But this debate is going off the rails a bit I think.
I've read that it's not valid to give a report on a motor because its only done a handful of hours in a recreational environment.
Then I read that its also not valid to use examples of commercial operators and their experiences after thousands of hours because it differs from a recreational environment.

So Gary and Ian,besides heresay,what yardstick other than the experience of those that actually own and use these new motors can we use to answer the initial question.

What are the pro's and con's of the E-Tec?.

Scott

Spaniard_King
26-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Scott,

do as much research on the engine as possible, I call it making an informed decision:D IMO most people are usually driven by budget more than quality.

A good place to start is here http://www.marineengine.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

cheers

Garry

disorderly
26-06-2007, 08:25 PM
You've lost me Garry,
Was there a particular thread you were referring to ?
And I doubt you would be getting the new boat you are if you were more driven by budget than quality,thats IMHO.

Cheers Scott

Spaniard_King
26-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Scott,

I was simply pointing you in the general direction of a place to start your engine research ie if theres a problem it usually shows up on a US forum so if you would like to spend the time, you could form an unbiased opinion on any particular engine.

I am not sure if you are directing the budget thing directly at me or not but most people will choose the cheaper option on an engine unless they can justify the expense.

Sorry I just re read your post... my new boat is totally budget driven;D

Garry

Black_Rat
26-06-2007, 08:42 PM
I'd buy a 2 stroke mower before I'd buy a 4 stroke ;D

Not that I've mowed a lawn lately ;D ;D ;D

finding_time
26-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Very happy with my motors atm, but i'm sure i would be very happy with suski's, merc's, evinrudes and honda's as well , in fact it matters little to me what brand of motor i would use, just as long as it's reliable;)

that what actually makes me laugh so much at you E-tec guys! It seems your trying to prove something every time you talk about your motors. I never really talked about my motors, but they have been round for years and many have logged over 4000 hrs , so no need to talk them up i guess

Ian

Samson

That's great mate! i really dont have a problem with e-tecs at all it's just some owners. Good to hear there logging good hrs though you never know when i'l be looking for new outboards., cant see myself going back to a engine that requires a oil bottle though, enjoy the 1 less thing to worry about i guess.

Ian

This is a earlier post Disorderly i think you must have missed it!! I dont have any e-tec syndrome in fact a stated above i have nothing against E-tecs at all is just that some poeple have the same discussions over and over again , if anything i have e-tec over exposure syndrome!!! And 2 post ago you wanted Garry and myself to list pros, and con's again!::) Mate it has been done to death !!:-X

Ian

disorderly
26-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Ian,

Sorry if any offense was caused by my making light of your mental condition.Actually thought it was a joke made by the bomber.
By the way I dont believe I'm a zealot.
Nowhere, have I in seriousness,claimed that the Etec is any better than any other motor or actually a good motor at all.(only related my particular limited experience with the motor).
As you are aware,however,the topic comes up frequently and being a owner of one I add my two bobs worth and enjoy reading about the experiences of other owners and people interested in them.
I also enjoy a laugh and a bit of a joke about them.
However I cant understand why blokes like yourself get on to threads like this and with nothing at all constructive to offer moan and belittle owners of this particular engine and basically sh!t stir.
Dont you also find this a bit odd?
Mate,if you dont want to be annoyed by people and their E-Tec's maybe you should try and restrain yourself from causing offense by butting in on a thread that you know very little or nothing about.
Once again I apologize if I caused offence about your condition.
Regards
Scott

Mercury16
26-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Now everyome, i think this discussion has gone on for long enough and is starting to get a bit..... well violent.
In the end everyone has there own favourite outboard and there is no need to tease others about there favorite one, sure its good to have a laugh about them and a friendly joke every now and then but in this thread i think we should now take it down a notch,
Dont you think?

Peter

GBC
27-06-2007, 09:09 AM
I've got an opti - I think its great.

P.S. DISLEXICS UNTIE ;D ;D ;D

Couldn't resist it.

sea raider
27-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Now everyome, i think this discussion has gone on for long enough and is starting to get a bit..... well violent.
In the end everyone has there own favourite outboard and there is no need to tease others about there favorite one, sure its good to have a laugh about them and a friendly joke every now and then but in this thread i think we should now take it down a notch,
Dont you think?

Peter

Hey, you think this is getting violent, you should have been around when Kopey, Big_Unit, Ron 173, myself and a couple of others were going for it, they ended up deleting the whole thread and people were being red carded all over the place.

They were the days!!!!:beer: :beer: :beer:

Ian,

Sorry if any offense was caused by my making light of your mental condition.Actually thought it was a joke made by the bomber.
By the way I dont believe I'm a zealot.
Nowhere, have I in seriousness,claimed that the Etec is any better than any other motor or actually a good motor at all.(only related my particular limited experience with the motor).
As you are aware,however,the topic comes up frequently and being a owner of one I add my two bobs worth and enjoy reading about the experiences of other owners and people interested in them.
I also enjoy a laugh and a bit of a joke about them.
However I cant understand why blokes like yourself get on to threads like this and with nothing at all constructive to offer moan and belittle owners of this particular engine and basically sh!t stir.
Dont you also find this a bit odd?
Mate,if you dont want to be annoyed by people and their E-Tec's maybe you should try and restrain yourself from causing offense by butting in on a thread that you know very little or nothing about.
Once again I apologize if I caused offence about your condition.
Regards
Scott

Well said Scott, my sentiments exactly.

Cheers

Geoff

Wahoo
27-06-2007, 09:21 AM
found this very intersting

Anything in production now (incl the new 300/200) gets a big boost in gas mileage.

>From their website:

Improvements to the power train give the Verado line world class fuel efficiency. Mercury tests show the new 150 hp Verado consumes 22 percent less fuel at wide open throttle and 18 percent less fuel on average at cruise speed than the 150 hp Verado introduced in 2005. In comparison to the competition, the new 150 hp Verado consumes up to 20 percent less fuel through the power band than the 150 hp Yamaha, up to 23 percent less than the 150 hp Suzuki and up to 40 percent less than the 150 hp Evinrude E-Tec.

The enhanced power train features forged pistons, precision machined oil dams, eccentric grooved crankshaft main bearings, an all-new intake cam profile, and a new PCM (power control module) calibration.

whole article:
http://northamerica.mercurymarine.com/newsandevents/newsdetail.php?... (http://northamerica.mercurymarine.com/newsandevents/newsdetail.php?ID=23)

manchild
27-06-2007, 06:09 PM

Garry
Thanks for a poke at me ,maybe i can explain myself better.He is not some pro ,but a good family friends for some 40 odd years.He was around outboards and boats all his life,hence i take his advice over 'some " stranger on a internet forum.Because hes getting a couple of engines every 2-3 years from a same dealer hes getting prices most of us dreamin of.So he bought it for me.Also the dealer happenes to be 10 minutes from me which is a bonus ,not too mention i treated like royalty in there because of this old friend.All this prompted me to get an e-tec not just some rumours i heard over the internetsite like this one.cheers
George

Spaniard_King
27-06-2007, 06:42 PM
manchild,

The post was not directed at you, If you go through previous otboard debates the sort of phrase I mentioned is quoted regularly.. If I was poking at you I would not have beaten around the bush.

Just for the record how does your friend clock up so many hours?/

cheers
Garry

manchild
27-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Not a problem mate,i owe you an apologie then. As for the hours he runs the boat with his son they sort of doing shiftwork on it ,plus he has another 2 offsiders so 4 of them running 2 boats.That thing hardly stops .
cheers
George
forgot to mention he lives on one of the islands on the bay too:-X

the_bomber
27-06-2007, 08:34 PM
I've got an opti - I think its great.

P.S. DISLEXICS UNTIE ;D ;D ;D

Couldn't resist it.

Cam you've cracked me again!
Ian I'm sorry I'm just zealous

Come to think of it I've had an opti two other mercs two tohatsus and a zuke and they all rule and I'm sure if I had an etec it would rule too:D

manchild
27-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Cam you've cracked me again!
Ian I'm sorry I'm just zealous

Come to think of it I've had an opti two other mercs two tohatsus and a zuke and they all rule and I'm sure if I had an etec it would rule too:D
Thats right .
Dyslexia fun can be;D