PDA

View Full Version : Barra eating pebbles....

Mak579
12-06-2007, 06:28 AM
Hey guys,

I've got a little barra in my fish tank that has decided he likes to eat pebbles (I've named him 'rocky').

He still swims allright, albiet bottom heavy, and he's still eating ok as well.

He doesn't appear to be able to "get rid" of the ingested pebbles (his belly bulge hasn't changed).

Any one have any idea if this is normal or what can be done or if he'll live much longer!

Thanks in advance,
Matt C

Noelm
13-06-2007, 01:05 PM
had a Barra in a tank for ages (grew to about a kilo or so) and it used to eat the bottom pebbles every time he "sucked" up a prawn or anything on the bottom, I reckon they get rid of them somehow while you are not looking, because it had been doing it for years and never had any in the stomach after an Autopsy was performed after it died.

Mak579
15-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Cheers Noelm,

the little guy seems to be doing fine, amazing little fish.

Matt C

Cammy
16-10-2007, 04:26 PM
i work in the fish section at a pet shop, and we had a fish that was doin the same thing eating pebbles and bulging.there is this stuff that gets rid of it , or it does something to the fish to make it throw up (sry i dont no the name), we tried and it worked. but he still had pebbles inside him. so we asked the vet to operate on him, my superviser was standing there flowing water through his gills to keep him alive, i dont know how it worked but it worked, and she cut him open and removed the stones. suprisingly the operation worked and the fish lived.by the way the fish was a flowerhorn cichlid.
and i no this post is old but it was interesting,

cam

Mak579
17-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Cool, thanks for that cam, the little guy in question has tripled in size and is still doing very well!

Cammy
17-10-2007, 08:58 PM
good!

cam

barra king
30-11-2007, 04:55 PM
cammy i got a barra

Cammy
30-11-2007, 10:14 PM
yer mate, i have 2 50cm ones, and they r awsome,takes about 3 pillies to fill each of em up.
i also have a toga (jardini) bout 25 cm, in with a bullrout.

these 3 fish r my favorite natives along with cod and sootys.

do have any other fish?

cam

loophole
20-12-2007, 05:52 PM
yer i brought my barra from cammys shop hes about 20cm now and hes been trained so that i can hand feed him.