PDA

View Full Version : Solunar tables

Sean
03-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi, I was just wondering what everyone thinks of solunar peak tables. Are they a bit of a w*** or do some of you swear by them? Are they more appropriate for certain species? and are they location specific...ie. Do I have to apply a certain time difference depending on the area I am fishing? Finally, does anyone have any links to sites with good, clear tables? Thanks a lot, Sean:)

whatscracken
03-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Nugget has daily graphs that show tides, moon and sun rising and setting times as well as a predicted solunar peak. www.nuggetfishing.com.au

Lovey80
03-06-2007, 08:33 PM
I never take notice of what the moon or anything is doing most of the time. If im gunna go fishing the wrong moon or tide wont stop me.

Cheers Chris

catalina
04-06-2007, 10:29 AM
I have paid some attention to them in the past and they can tell you the peak fishing times, but not too many people have the luxury of excessive spare times so I just get out there and fish when I can!

poppers81
04-06-2007, 10:34 AM
It is a funny thing.. never have payed a heap of attention to them until a day where i got nothing all day and had a real hot bite for a hour or so and got and got about 15 flatties on plastics between 2 of us in the boat. Got home later and had a look at nuggets site.. The solunar peak was 100% at the exact time we caught fish..Could have played a role. Could have been the right time in the tide to fish the spot.. I always have a little look now but never turn away from a fish because of it... WHO WOULD?
Regards Poppers

Sean
04-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Are they area specific???

I am the same, if I am going to fish I am going to fish and nothing will.........hang on, and only the wife can stop me!!!!

Nugget
05-06-2007, 07:13 AM
I believe solunar peaks have less influence in an estuary or river than they do offshore. Shallow water of rivers and creeks are more influenced by natural and man made conditions that deeper offshore waters.
In an estuary, river or creek you have to consider traffic on the water, water clarity, affects of rains on salinity levels, tidal flow, water depth including where you’re fishing. These will have more influence on the fish’s behaviour than solunar peaks.

However in offshore water, the influences by nature and man are not as dramatic.
Traffic is less of a problem, water clarity is less dramatic, tides are less important etc etc. There are still plenty of things to consider – current, depth etc etc but solunar peaks are much more notable without the major influences encountered in an estuary.

The best way to approach your fishing is to be very observant – when I got fishing today, what is dominating the environment the fish lives in?
Is it an extremely hot day, have we had rain up river, is a very slow or fast tide…
Look at the major influence and think how a fish would behave given that situation.
… Think like a fish!

Dave ><>

Sean
05-06-2007, 11:04 AM
So does that mean if I am hungry, I feel like swim and really want to avoid that big guy over there I should be wetting a line!!!

Sean
05-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Just kidding, thanks for the tips mate, interesting about the offshore rather than estuary....looks like i'm just not fishy enough yet