PDA

View Full Version : New member from Sweden

Morhua
29-05-2007, 03:59 AM
Hello Aussies!

My name is Mattias, 23 old guy from Sweden. I値l be working and traveling in your amazing country from around February next year. The main reason why I travel is to experience nature and of course that includes fishing. A certain jolly fat man on the Discovery channel during my teens can take some credit for that. (Rex Hunt) Sweden is full of little lakes so I grew up with freshwater fishing; hence I知 mostly familiar and interested in that. Although I would like to give the ocean a serious try.

I really don稚 know much about fishing in Australia, haven稚 done any research yet but I'm on it! Anyway, here is my rough travel plan:
I値l start the trip working somewhere, probably in a major city on the east coast. Buy an all-around fishing rod or perhaps rent one that I can use after work and on weekends. After about 2-3 months of that I値l be backpacking up to Darwin and then head inland with my trusty rod and eventually see Ayers rock. I値l be staying in Australia for around 6 months I think.

Please give me advice, large or small! Things like where to fish, what to fish and with what gear. Hope to see you there; I値l be sure to grab advice from any local holding the rod at the right end!

kingyfisher
29-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Wilcommen (sp?) Morhua , Hope you enjoy your stay. A lot of info on Queensland is available on this site....really excellent stuff.Myself I'm from Sydney,but go to Qld. for fishing holidays every year.May I suggest that you buy your tackle in Australia,it's better quality and cheaper than Sweden (at least when I visited Oslo to Gottenberg) Really light tackle is out ,unless you intend to salt water fly fish,I would suggest 2 outfits ,3-5kg and 10-15kg,either spin or overhead whichever you are comfortable using. Spending about $100 on each outfit would be the minimum to obtain reasonable quality,allow another $50 for hooks lines etc. You cannot rent tackle in Australia,but if you go out on fishing charter boats tackle is supplied.Fishing licences are also required in some states,but are not expensive. You may get lucky and get an invite out on a boat with an angler through this or other websites Once again good luck and good fishing.;D

juju
29-05-2007, 01:52 PM
You should be able to get into some barra acting when you are up in the the NT, one thing about darwin you know what the weather will be anytime of the year, around 32-35c with a afternoon storm..;D

Dono
02-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Welcome aboard, Rex is know a bald, shaven thin guy now, good luck when u arrive and you will get plenty of advice from Ausfish members on all types of Aus fishin.

Horse
02-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Good to see you visiting the land downunder. Plenty of options all around the coastline. Ausfish is predominantly Queensland based but we still have a fair few members from other areas. Get online when you arive and you can get some specific information.

If you are travelling with some Swedish girls there will be a line up to take you out fishing;D ::) ;D

Cheers

Neil

edleigh7
12-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Welcome Mattias... you will love your time over here getting amongst the many fish species and i wish you good luck. I have a friend at the world fly fishing champions in Norway at the moment, i was wondering do you receive any news about it in Sweden, because we certainly don't over here?