PDA

View Full Version : Rod Building Weekend Round-Up

Lucky_Phill
12-05-2007, 06:29 PM
I'll just get it started.

Good numbers have turned up and with Stuie McKenzie showing the way and Dave Boyle keeping us glued to the screens, day one went fast.

Special mention to Owen and Sandy for traveling down from Gladstone for this.

Greg and Sue have been great hosts and making sure we didn't starve or want for liquid refreshments. ;)

There have been a few ' incidents ' along the way and I am sure there will be either pics/ videos or stories posted by others.

I'll let them do that and then tell the truth later ;D ;D :P :P

Cheers Phill

roz
12-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Excellent day today!!!! Loved every minute & it's always good to put faces to the names.

More of the same tomorrow.

See ya all there.

roz.

DaveB
12-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Wow - great day! I'd just like to say thanks for the invite and making me feel very welcome.

Roz - your scales wrap looks even better than I thought :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

For me the best thing was meeting everyone and seeing others work. The setup was great and I hope day 2 is just as good.

Cheers
Dave

http://www.visualwrap.com/images/wrapping_closeup.JPG

roz
12-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks for coming along Dave, your input was much appreciated & you also managed to get some of those die hards to have a look see...not naming names ey Stu!!

There have already been expressions of interest, so I think there will be no avoiding an '08 RBW.

& thanks for the compliment Dave, although an 8 axis wrap would not have been possible without your viswrap software.... seriously!!!

Grahame has asked me to wrap that pattern (scales) onto his Loomis, so we must have done something right.

I wouldn't mind betting Jan is also plotting his next one... be great to see him up here for '08, sorry about putting the pressure on you Jan.

r.

2DKnBJ
12-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Had a top day today and as usuall it is good to put some more names to faces.
Was good to have Stuie doing the rounds and giving us some helpfull tips although i think there will be some fun and games tomorrow when all the binding starts.
Dave
That was a top presentation you did for us on the cross weaves and the programme you have will certainly take alot of guess work out of doing the weaves.

See you all there for day 2

Cheers Dazza

PinHead
12-05-2007, 09:04 PM
some pics..you can provide your own captions

PinHead
12-05-2007, 09:09 PM
a few more

Great White
12-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks To Greg and Sue for opening up their house to the rabble ;D

I had a top day, was good to put names to the faces of some fellow ausfishers.

After the usual remarks about peoples butts, and other crude comments we were into day 1. By the way phill I have got a full 6 inches on you mate LOL ;) maybe yours might grow a bit over nite but I hear its going to be a cold nite !!!!!! Hows the knee ;)

Thanks To Stu for the how to do's and Roz for her personal help and loan of gear :D Also a big thanks to Dave for the advice on the wrap for my rod, most of which went over my head but I hope Roz and Phill paid attention :-X I am going to need alot of help.

BRING ON TOMORROW.

wazza66
12-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Had a great day at the rod building weekend today.

A big thanks to Stu,Phil,Ian,Dazza,Greg and Roz for all their guidance and advice to a virgin rod builder!!.

Wish i could be there again tomorrow but family commitments killed that idea(mothers day).

Once again thank guys.

Cheers
Wazza

P.S Now......... If could only remember how to do those bindings Roz.

Poodroo
13-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Thanks to Roz for organizing and to Stu for his tuition. Thanks also to Dave for your input which was way above me but has generated an interest into some further rod building for me later. Greg and Sue played the perfect hosts for which I would also like to show gratitude by saying a big thankyou. For the friendships made and the general warmth that was displayed I think all who attended should give themselves a pat on the back. :) Above all I have learned how to do a zig zag guide attachment. ;):-X

Regards,

Poodroo

jan
13-05-2007, 06:52 PM
looks like a great weekend was had by all. I'd love to come to the next one Roz, although I don't know what help I could provide. Yes I'm way ahead of you as I have been doing an optical chevron while you were all away having fun so should be finished soon if I can get the shops rod repairs done as they are never ending. Glad to see that everyone learnt something which is the main thing.
Cheers, Jan.

Lucky_Phill
13-05-2007, 07:00 PM
All done and dusted !

A huge thanks to Greg and Sue ( Mr and Mrs PinHead ) for the use of their house, BBQ, entertainment area and hospitality.

Cheers to Stuie for making the whole rod building thing look easy.

To Owen and Sandy, big effort on coming down from Gladstone. Thanks for the gifts as well as that Carrot Cake, Sandy :)

Scott, is there no end to your talents ? Lathes, Butts and binding ;)

To Roz for not only getting the Rod Building Weekends up and running, but also for providing a forum for those of us that have always wanted to, but never could, build our own rod. Once again, your enthusiasum rubbed off and all who attended will have come away with a wider scope for their creative minds. :D

The whole weekend went well and I am sure many have learnt a lot, or had their interest rekindled.

There will be another next year with a focus on finishing the rods. Epoxy etc. Look forward to that one.

Pics attached are:-

Paul, Sandra, Scott ( enhancing my butt wrap ::) ), Owen and Stuie ( he's the one with his arms in a tangle )

Lucky_Phill
13-05-2007, 07:03 PM
And here we have The whole crew at work, Scotts, butts, Scotts Lathe and refreshments.

Cheers phill

sid_fishes
13-05-2007, 08:27 PM
what can i say, what a great weekend. thanks to greg and sue for everthing, coffee, your house bbq etc, to the crew thanks for the good time ,stuie,mate thanks again learnt a bit more [like on how to look like gumbie while wrapping] , roz for all the time you put into making it happen, phill for the humour, guidence.to owen and sandy have a safe trip home and hope to see you again cheers ian

Great White
13-05-2007, 08:58 PM
WOW what a top weekend, Thanks again to Greg & Sue for the use of their home as always Greg & Sue you put on a top event and I am still scratching my head how $5 per person could have paid for the BBQ, lollies and cakes plus beer plus the hire of tressel tables. :-/ Well it couldn't - so thanks again Greg & Sue for the funding of the short fall!

A very big thanks to Roz who spent most of the day helping and convincing (her ethiopian sponsor child - me) how to successfully do a wrap. I learn't alot and am sorry that you didn't get to spend any time on your own rod, I really appreciate it!

Thanks to Stu for his tutorage, Phil for his ideas and advice and all of the Ausfishers who lent/sold me bits that I needed to undertake my project.

I know feel that I have the confidence to complete my soft plastics rod which will take pride of place in my fleet.:D

Finga - I have to get me one of those lathes!;)

Thanks
Peter

Tangles
13-05-2007, 09:34 PM
sounds like a good weekend was had by all,

mike

Scalem
14-05-2007, 07:11 AM
Sorry I missed it, but it was worth hanging around your place last night Pete to have a look at your Rod and the progress thusfar. Very nice!! I don't suppose anyone felt they were overdoing the sponsoring were they? Or did you rattle a coin in an empty cup to try get some help?;D However you did it, the wrap so far was worth it.!!

I am sure the knowledge shared will benefit many for a long time to come!

Scalem

finga
14-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Well what more can I say.
It was really good to put names to faces (well mostly) and to be shown how to and how not to do various procedures in the art of build fishing rods.

Greg and Sue have to be especially thanked for opening their home to us and doing all the things that they did. :dankk2:

Stuart...mate I did not have the foggiest on most of the information you blah, blahed to us and skills you demonstrated to us. Your wit and sense of humor was pretty good as well :)

Dave...mate all you've done is left my mind blown away with some of the wraps. I can't get the one of the roses out of my mind (Phil...get stuffed. I know what your thinking ;))
Roz and Phil...what champions for organising the day. :thumbsup:

Owen and Sandy...It was so generous for you two to donating the lucky door prizes.
It was better though just having a yarn. :gossip:
Owens software still leaves me mystified but one day. Ooh before I forget...that torch is the bees knees. What a ripper ;D
We nearly needed the 8-) o when the cook and I tried it last night.

Some may know I made a few little things to try on the day. Some worked some didn't well I went down into the dungeon and did a rehash of the lathe thingo. The picture of MkII is below. I hope it's got enough power Stuart. It's only 3hp.
I really want to see Poo do some wrapping on it. I reckon Peter would have to be about 20 feet away to catch the rod with it ;D

I learnt all about colours as well. Phil was fortunate enough to have a wrap done on his rod by me.
If he cuts it off I'm going to cut him. >:( ;D.
Any picture of the creation anyone??

I probably forgotten something to say but I'll say later.

What a ripper of a week-end.
:dankk2: to everyone who made it so good.

PS my brother has sent me 2 e-mails already saying what he's going to do on a few rods. A monster is born.
He also asked me to say ta to all.

Lucky_Phill
14-05-2007, 11:11 AM
At one stage I was summoned to go else where and got Scott to finish my wrap, results in picture below.

phill

sandyd
14-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Well it is Monday at 10.55 and we are at Eagle Farm at Aitken Welding, we did get as far as Gympie and had to turn around for Owens work. Maybe we should have left yesterday but be quite honest I would not have missed the rest of the day for anything.

Sue and Greg thank you so much for all you did over the week-end you both have hearts of gold and when we asked you up to visit we really did mean it. Hope to see you both in the near future.

Stu I learned so much from you and yes if I need help I know where to find you, but for now thank you so much for your help your patents and the colors stay, not girly at all.

Roz thank you for organising this event and putting an invitation out to use. Had such a great time over the two days and hope to be back next year.

Phil now what can I say thanks for the humor the help you gave Roz with organising this event and your entertainment for the week-end.

Dave thank you for spending the time and showing us cross wrapping, this is something that I am eager to try and think it will be on my first rod.

Scott you are amazing with all your gadgets, I really hope that we come down sometime soon and visit your wonder land, as Owen says he is not to proud to pinch someone good idea.

To all the Ausfish members who attended I have to say a big thanks to you all. With out such a good crew who all pitched in where possible to help others, to lend tools ect ect, it would not have been such a successfully week-end as it was. It was a pleasure to have meet you all and hope that we will meet up again soon.

Once we are home again I will edit I mean put some of the video and pics we have. Phil you can tell everyone your version of events and then the rest of us will tell the real story.

Thanks everyone.

PinHead
14-05-2007, 02:19 PM
WOW what a top weekend, Thanks again to Greg & Sue for the use of their home as always Greg & Sue you put on a top event and I am still scratching my head how $5 per person could have paid for the BBQ, lollies and cakes plus beer plus the hire of tressel tables. :-/ Well it couldn't - so thanks again Greg & Sue for the funding of the short fall!

Thanks
Peter

Peter: I did not provide everything...some others provided the lollies, cakes and some of the beer and not to mention the rice salad...as for the funding...as long as those that participated enjoyed themselves then that is all that mattered.

Day 2 was mother's day and look at the appreciation you receive for cooking lunch..I know I am a lousy cook but come on girls..you did survive it.

PinHead
14-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Peter ( Great White) decided he wanted some fancy bloody wrap on his rod..that took care of Roz for the afternoon

PinHead
14-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Phill started on his rod..some weave on it...he had big plans for it...Phill stepped away to help someone out and next thing Scott has homed in on it..started doing his own design on Phil's rod..we are not sure if it looks like a totem pole or covered in pizza but one thing is certain...Phill is sure gunna look sweet when using it.

PinHead
14-05-2007, 02:25 PM
thanks to all that attended..all a great bunch of people and the boss has already agreed to have it here next time if required..I might even build one myself at that one.

DR
14-05-2007, 02:34 PM
thanks to all that attended..all a great bunch of people and the boss has already agreed to have it here next time if required..I might even build one myself at that one.

the way it is growing, you're going to have to hire a hall ;D

PinHead
14-05-2007, 02:40 PM
the way it is growing, you're going to have to hire a hall ;D

Roz kept the number limited to 15 for a couple of reasons....space and the main one is so that Stuart can spend some time with each person to help with their problems...if there was many more Stuart would be a jibbering mess from trying to keep up with it all (he may even be in that state after the weekend anyway)

finga
14-05-2007, 03:14 PM
pretty isn't it??
Who said fluoro green and yellow doesn't work??
;D

Owen
14-05-2007, 08:09 PM
How cool was that? :thumbup:

Thanks to everyone who attended. I learned a lot.
Dunno how I'm going to use all the rods I'll have to build to try out all the ideas though :-/

Great to meet you all ;D

2DKnBJ
14-05-2007, 11:21 PM
What an awesome weekend.
First off i would like to thank Greg & Sue for opening up their house and providing the hospitality to a bunch of strangers for the weekend.

Roz & Phill for organising the whole weekend.You can put me down for the next one.
Stuie...What more can i say but a big THANKS MATE.Your tips and guidence throughout the weekend was second to none.

Dave..Those wraps and programme still have my mind spinning.

Owen & Sandy...Thanks for the prizes .

Graham...Thanks for the cork to finish my butt off.

All the other guys ...Great to meet you will catch up again soon.

Cheers Dazza

Herm
15-05-2007, 02:10 AM
I am sorry to have missed the RBW but someone had to look after the 2 little ones and Pete has had me out chasing business and now that I have a little bit - it has to get done! Unfortunately - I do not has any Autocad drawing/Energy Assessing fairies floating around!:( or cooking fairies that would have been very handy for cooking the 4 course meal that we had on Sunday night!

Thanks to Roz for doing the wonderful wrap on Peter's rod - it really looks great!

I glad to hear that everyone had a great time!

Janine

B_E_N
15-05-2007, 11:56 AM
all the talk about how much of a success it was is just rubbing salt into my wounds lol, still very dissapointed about my late withdrawl, which i again apologise to everyone for.

i just know im going to stuff up my attempt(s) at wraps, really could have used that leason lol ohwell, is that visual wrap program for sale at all? may be a future investment!

roz
17-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Peter: I did not provide everything...some others provided the lollies, cakes and some of the beer and not to mention the rice salad...as for the funding...as long as those that participated enjoyed themselves then that is all that mattered.

Day 2 was mother's day and look at the appreciation you receive for cooking lunch..I know I am a lousy cook but come on girls..you did survive it.

No doubt about it Greg... Sandra and I are two very 'cultured' females.

We really appreciated your cooking!!!! Really we did!!!!:-*

Roz.

grave41
17-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks to all

Greg and Sue for attending to our needs

Roz and Phil for organizing it

Stuart and Dave for your expert experience.

And last but not least everbody else who made it a great experience for Reuben and myself.

Ps; working on a new cork preserver and will let everbody know the results when finished.

Cheers Graham

Owen
19-05-2007, 09:36 PM
A few more pics

Do not adjust your sets.
These are the actual colous used ;D

Good thing those acid flashbacks have stopped!

Owen
19-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Finga's choice of drink was a worry. ;)

Nice lathe though.

Owen
19-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Last ones.

Not sure if Stu is wrappiong a guide or doing the chicken dance in the background :vrolijk_26:

2DKnBJ
23-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Thought i would put a few pics up of the almost finished product that i started on the RBW.Thought i would give a basic cross wrap a go and it hasn't turned out too bad.Can only get better from here::)

Can anyone tell me if the cork grips need sealing or do you leave them as they are.

Cheers Dazza.

Having a little prob with the pics>:(

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t306/2DKnB/th_2006_0523Image0019.jpg http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t306/2DKnB/th_2006_0523Image0011.jpg

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t306/2DKnB/th_2006_0523Image0012.jpg http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t306/2DKnB/th_2006_0523Image0011.jpg

roz
24-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Hi Dazza,

The rod's looking great, big change from the condition it was in.

As for sealing the cork...not sure.

I've never bothered, although that could be the wrong choice. No doubt someone will provide info.

roz.

DR
24-05-2007, 03:15 PM
HI Dazz, you have been busy, looks good..personal thing with cork, but i would leave it natural & clean it with a rag soaked in metho, comes up like new..

cheers
Dave

sid_fishes
24-05-2007, 05:44 PM
dazza,mate i was told to use candle wax on my cork, it gives a bit of a darker finish and is easier to clean at the end of the day. and it has come up good [ both the rod and the wrap] cheers ian

Lucky_Phill
24-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Nice work Darren.

I too have been doing more work on the Bass Rod.

I now have the guides on and 1 coat of epoxy.

The guides were put on thus:-

underbound in " A " size Gudebrod NCP and not cutting the thread, wound it back up over the guide , double lock, and then back down and onto the rod. So in effect I have 1 x underbind and 2 x overbind all in one continuous thread. I did the trim band ( Gold Metallic ) the hard way by adding it after the binding. The transition from rod to bindings are smooth and I am very happy with that. I didn't use any Sealer.

I have also trimmed the ' wrap ' of any little bumps and it is ready for another epoxy coat. Decals will be added later. as will the oil for the timber butt ( yes Scott, I know ::) ).

The rod should be up and running for the Touchy M & G, if possible.

The pics below are average.........poor photographer.

Cheers Phill

sid_fishes
24-05-2007, 08:15 PM
now that is nice phill, cheers ian

DaveB
25-05-2007, 10:35 PM
After seeing so much building going on at the rbw it got my blood pumping again :) I'm half way through building up a new rod and will have it ready for the Touchy.

Cheers
Dave

2DKnBJ
25-05-2007, 11:54 PM
That little rod is looking good Phill.I will have to have a closer look at the M&G.
I should have mine finished for the weekend and hopefully it will catch me a winning fish.
I am about to start another rebuild this weekend so i can get my binding and wrapping a bit better for my next project.These will be for myself and Kirsten to be used for plastics and flicking lures around the dams.Plan on doing a nice wrap on these so i will have to get in touch with the wrap guru ( Dave) and buy his programme.

Cheers Dazza

sandyd
26-05-2007, 07:42 AM
Hi all

Thought I better show where I was up to after the rod building week-end. The grips and real seat where completed at the RB week-end and sense being home I have So far done all under binds in purple, green with gold and silver trims. The thread I have used is the Polyneon by Madeira, can only wait and see how they come up.

I was hoping to do a cross weave on the butt so I picked out what I wanted to do and was told by Dave that it maybe better to start with something a little easier. After trying to read up on how a cross weave works and how to do this I tend to agree with him. But I am getting his program and I am hoping like hell that it will answer all my questions so that I can do the weave I want, or maybe i will call on one of my lifelines. Rozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I don't think my rod will be finished soon as I know what I want and am prepared to wait till I can do it. Besides I have just received 7 other blanks the other day, one for Owen and the rest for me. ::)

sandyd
26-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Phill

How is the remake coming on, did you end up scrapping the work of art by Scott?

Lucky_Phill
26-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Dazza.

yep, will catch up then.

Sandy.

THAT rod is still in the same condition. I am unhappy with the reel seat so may just add guides, epoxy the wrap and be done with it. I will then get the same blank and put on a ALPS Triangler reel seat with colour coded hoods. Do a ' proper ' wrap, but sticking with similar colours. Might even shout myself some Holographic guides ::) ;D ;D.

another pic of final coat of epoxy on bass rod.

Phill

PinHead
08-09-2007, 05:12 PM
I have heard a rumour that one member has not finished his rod yet....and has had to call in the cavalry to finish it for him..oh well...at least he had the guts to attempt one.

roz
08-09-2007, 06:49 PM
I have heard a rumour that one member has not finished his rod yet....and has had to call in the cavalry to finish it for him..oh well...at least he had the guts to attempt one.

I don't want to name names BUT was this person building a rod or just attempting the binding, or both perhaps.

r.

Great White
08-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Gee who would this mystery man be ::) I tried to complete it, I mean help this person complete it but was a bit out of my oops his skill level :-X

so I suggested this person send out an SOS to the grand master for help ;) ;D

Of course there are some serious bribes that are being offered to lure this person up to help :P

Mods feel free to jump in and edit these people making unfounded comments mainly from "pinhead" ;) what about a red card ;D

sid_fishes
08-09-2007, 09:30 PM
mate bite the bullit, send it down to her, otherwise we will never here the end of it. but it will be a good thing when you get it back, sid

Lucky_Phill
08-09-2007, 09:47 PM
I haven't had time,

I ran out of thread,

My eyes are sore,

I need inspiration,

The dog ate it,

I had a virus,

jeez, how many more excuses have you come up with Peter ?? ;D ;D

You are not alone, I have only just recently finished the ' Pizza " rod. I still haven't put the decals on it. Which reminds me, I must start the next rod.

Phill

2DKnBJ
08-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Phill

Excuse No 7 Busy giving the Navara swimming lessons....

Cheers Dazza

finga
09-09-2007, 03:20 PM
I reckon that member (if it's who I think it is) is playing possum.
IMO it's all done and dusted and looking shmicko ;D

roz
09-09-2007, 07:56 PM
If the truth be known, we are going to have a RBW reunion later in the month at Pete's place, there might, just might..... be some finishing off done to a certain persons unfinished master piece.

Can't give to much away at this early stage.

r.

roz
09-09-2007, 08:00 PM
carrots have been dangled and bribes offered!!!!

Hey Dazza,

Maybe he could add a depth sounder to the navara........ WOOOHooooo.....!!!!

Where are you Pinhead???? this could turn into a good old feeding frenzy, plus the bonus is ......there's no minnos in here:-X

r::)

finga
10-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Mmm BBQ :D
I better bring some wire to do the sounder putting in on the Navara eh ;)
Where would you put the transducer though??? :-/

Cheers Scott :)
PS....Janine...Cassandre says she'll bring the rice pudding to the BBQ ::)

Great White
10-09-2007, 08:27 PM
I haven't had time,

I ran out of thread,

My eyes are sore,

I need inspiration,

The dog ate it,

I had a virus,

jeez, how many more excuses have you come up with Peter ?? ;D ;D

You are not alone, I have only just recently finished the ' Pizza " rod. I still haven't put the decals on it. Which reminds me, I must start the next rod.

Phill

Phill you forgot been out doing a lot of fishing lately ;D ::) :P

Lucky_Phill
10-09-2007, 09:02 PM
That is the only excuse that will wash we me. In that case, you are forgiven !!

Phill