PDA

View Full Version : The kindness of a stranger

jan
15-04-2007, 06:31 PM
G'day all,

There is not much in life these days that leaves me gob-smacked but today was one one of those rare treats.

I was at work and a bloke came in asking for me. Our juniour Chris came in and told me old mate was out the front and had a heap of rod building gear. I went out and saw a couple of big containers and a top section to a rod. Yep being cynical as I am (too many bad experiences with customers over the years) I thought he wanted me to repair his rod with some of the threads and guides he had so as to keep the cost down.

Anyway I got talking to him and he had seen my name on this site and put 2 & 2 together and figured out where I worked. He used to build rods as well but he doesn't see as well anymore. While we were talking I kept looking at all the thread that was in the containers and thought man thats a nice selection. Most of them were unused 950yd spools of Gudebrod NCP thread, about a dozen or so metallic threads, a heap of guides, a full set of new Aftco big foots, a couple of 5000yd spools and the list goes on.

I told him I would get his rod done for him (believe it or not I wasn't going to charge him anyway as he was a nice bloke and I felt bad that he couldn't do what he enjoyed anymore) and then bugger me, you could have blown me down with a feather. He told me the threads etc were mine to have as he was happy that I could make good use of them. As I have said it takes a bit to surprise me but old mate has done more for me than just giving me over 60 spools of thread etc. He has given me back my faith in human kind and I truely thank him for that.

I hope that one day when I eventually stop rod building I can pass on my gear like he did to someone who appreciates it as much as I do.

Cheers, Jan.

finga
15-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Nice story to end the week-end :)

roz
15-04-2007, 07:53 PM
You are right there, definately not many people around like that anymore.

Take it as a huge compliment Jan.

r.

sandyd
17-04-2007, 08:18 AM
What a nice gesture from the gentleman.

It is sad that it has come to the fact that we have to think the worse when someone tries to give us something.

When in Cambodia last month a young boy of about 7 came up to me and handed me a picture that he had drawn in pencil and in his school book. I instantly thought that he wanted money and was about to hand it back when he said to me "no lady free, free" and he had the biggest smile. That picture is now siting on a shelf with some paintings i purchased over there ready for framing.

It is good to see that there are still genuine people still out there, young and old.

Enjoy your new gift and treasure how you came about having it.