PDA

View Full Version : Calstar or Loomis..?

JB
10-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Hello all, ive purchased a tyrnos 20 and im looking at getting a custom 7 footer made to match. Im hoping to use the setup for live baiting and bottom fishing places like the barwon banks and fraser. I've narrowed down what seems to be 2 suitable blanks however theres $50 aussie diff and im tempted to go the cheaper one and take a risk on a blank i havent seen before.

Blank 1:
Calstar Graphiter GF700M
7'
20-50
Fast
L 25-30Lb.

Blank 2: GLoomis OBsidan

PS84-30
7'
MEDIUMFAST
25-40lb
N/A
$125.00

Reel will be spooled with predom 30lb , but on a fraser trip i may up it to 50lb mono.

Anybody used the calstar blank before?

Jason

jan
10-04-2007, 06:17 PM
G'day Jb,
I have both loomis and calster rods that I made up for myself and am happy with both. They each have their own uses weather they be for SP fishing for bream or for throwing poppers at our resident kingies at the bridge. The one major benefit I can see with the Loomis is that they have what is called an expeditor (sp?) program here (if you buy it in oz, otherwise have to send it back to the place of purchase overseas). This benefit is: when you break are factory rod or blank the decal is cut off and sent back to EJ Todd (In Australia). They then send out a brand new rod for $170 (GL2 etc) or $200 (IMX etc) or blanks are half price. I did one for a customer who broke a 4 piece $1200 rod and it cost him $200 to replace it. Not a bad fall back. Anyway, just a thought.
Cheers,
Jan.

bung
11-04-2007, 02:19 AM
judging by the tip and butt diameters the calstar is slightly slower actioned than the Loomis (I just bought a calstar GF800M)