PDA

View Full Version : Name that Blank ?

Parra
03-04-2007, 10:34 AM
3988Hey guys, This may not be a difficult one, but i hope someone could identify this blank for me.

It was a custom jig stick i had made in 1988. I was only a young lad back then and it took me 12 months to save for it. Now i have decided to get into rod building i thought i might pull the old runners off as they had rusted under the binding, but as i started pulling it apart i thought, bugger it i may as well do the whole rod as a first effort.

I believe it may be a butterworth powergraph but not sure as the label has come off at some places. Also can anyone give me some advice on how to measure the power rating of the blank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have photos before i started stripping and might put together a post of the process of rebuilding (for a newbie first effort) with before, during and after, complete with all mistakes made, if people are interested.

Cheers Parra

B_E_N
03-04-2007, 12:19 PM
so glad your doing the same thing as me, i have the same blank, (my old man found it sitting on the bottom of the sea next to one of the m beacons ages ago) and i wanna do the same thing, rebuild it, the blank of mine seems to be in good condition, and it feels like 6-10kg overhead stlye, well mine anyway, is yours similar. one other question for the experienced ones, its a graphite sanded blank, and i was wondering if how a few things coats of paint sprayed on would work as to give the blank a lil face lift??

Noelm
03-04-2007, 01:40 PM
if you strip it completely you may find the model is printed on it somewhere, it usually was, somethimes in some sort of what looks like pen, and in white on a black blank of course.

DR
03-04-2007, 05:31 PM
if you can remove the butt cap/gimbal, it is usually written on the end of the blank..

cammac
04-04-2007, 12:12 AM
its a butterworth powergraph and yes youll probably find the model no at the base of the blank. the line rating youll have to hook the line up to some scales and load the rod up to get an idea of its strength. or maybe contact butterworth they may have some info on that blank

Parra
04-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Hey guys sorry for the late reply, been working night shift. Thanks for your help,
Havn't got to the but cap yet. Will have a look in the next couple of days.

Just getting ready to order the gear for it, so may need some advice later on guides, reel seat ect.

Thanks again
Parra

Parra
07-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Just a quick update. Ive just finished carefully scraping enough foam and glue off the handle, after many hours, to find the actual number of the blank. Its a tb 980 g. If anyone has any info on this blank that would be great.

Another little surprise i found was the price tag epoxied into the blank as well. A whopping $36.90. Not bad (for the builder) since i paid over $400 for it in 1988.

Young and naive, but have had a heap of fun and caught a heap of fish (including my first small black marlin, that was released) on it so all good.

Parra

tully
18-04-2007, 09:13 PM
this is only a stab in the dark parra , but I think that code on your blank stands for tough butt , 9 wraps , 80 inches , graphite . Probably a pretty solid crowbar of a thing by that description. The graphite content possibly only in the lower half.

Matt_Campbell
26-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Similar to the JS980 brute sticks I'd say.
Matt