PDA

View Full Version : Nav Lights

Phoenix
30-03-2007, 07:25 AM
Hi,

When fishing Wello recently I noticed (as darkness decended) that probably 20 boats in the sourounds were not using nav lights at night. I was pretty surprised. Even with a pretty clear night it soon became near impossible to see other boats even a short distance away.

Why dont you guys use lights?

This collision on the Sydney harbour has been said to have been the result of the 10 meter wooden cruiser not having nav lights.

finga
30-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Why???
Because those that don't have nav. lights and at least one anchor light are irresponsible, don't care and are morons. That's why.
Lights are cheap to put on. Bung some on and be seen.

FNQCairns
30-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah they are morons all right, it's an area where those that get caught need to be hammered into a costly submission.

Don't believe the story that the cruiser had no nav light's - that's just too easy to say this early in the piece, the coroners inquest will get to the bottom of it.

cheers fnq

davez104
30-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Yep, reckon you would be mad not to have em, your the one thats gonna get hit. Used to think about it while traveling out to the fishing grounds on a pro boat I worked on. It was always dark on our way out, often wondered how many boats took the chance and went out with no lights, and just where they were. We never did hit anyone, but it would not be hard to do. Maybe they should be mandatory for rego, and maybe an inspection every few years is in order. I try to remember to check mine before each trip. I carry a spare bulb for the anchor light as I reckon it's the most important as it's visible 360 degrees. If it is working, at least others can see you.

Dave.

1975fflh
30-03-2007, 02:14 PM
I have noticed many boats canoes kayaks etc in Lake Illawarra do not use any lights i have come very close to running quite a few down in a 4 knot channel because I cant see them until its nearly to late some will wave a torch when you get within 10 metres of them, but most just abuse you as you go past.

Phoenix
30-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Canoes & kayaks are not under the same rules.

All we are required in QLD to carry is a torch (or lantern in the actual rules). We are not required to have Red & Green.

I personally have a white anchor light on at all times during low light or at night, I also carry a torch and have a head torch with me also.

Especially when some of these boaties were fishing way out in the shipping channel - they must be mad.

FNQCairns
30-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Don't think we need compunding legislation as all that does is blanket penalise the law abiding citizens for their good nature and doesn't address the problem of nav lights in real time on the water.

Best IMO to hammer the culprit with a real deterent, a BIG on the spot fine would work but it will add no more discrepancy to to regulations so wouldn't be departmantaly popular, penalising good people seems to be the regulators tool of choice of today.

It's so damn dangerous no lights or incorrect lights displayed, but I do wish that anchor light would just go to hell!

cheers fnq

Tassie JR
30-03-2007, 05:14 PM
nothing worse than heading out early in the morning when it is dark so many smaller tinnies sit in the bribie passage without lighs you cant see them and it is a wonder no one has been wiped out yet.

Blackened
30-03-2007, 05:31 PM
G'day

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the no existant nights at wello, green and surrounds, the main reason they do it is not to spook the fish.

We were coming up the bribie passage at about 22kts in the 44' noosa cat one morning, before picking up passangers at spinnaker sound, almost collected a boat in the channel with no lights on under the bribie bridge. Needless to say the skipper wasn't impressed,

Dave

Phoenix
30-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Better to spook the fish than to see the inside of a coffin - surely??

Phoenix
30-03-2007, 05:40 PM
With the greatest of respect to the boaties, I am unconvinced that using lights actually spooks the fish anyway. We have a pretty good catch rate when we fish, even at night with lights on - most times we catch fish.

My understanding was that fish can't see all that well - it was more that they can hear (a lure for instance and then when the lure is close they strike at it).

For Steve
30-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Hi Phoenix,

I'm also not convinced that the lights spook fish. It's good that you have an anchor light plus other measures even though they aren't mandatory by law. You identified a way to make your pastime safer so good idea. Maybe others will follow your lead.

At the risk of appearing stupid, I'd like to check that my current lighting is being used correctly.
Whilst underway: Nav lights on, anchor light off
Whilst drifting: Nav lights on, anchor light off, usually have my battery lamp on
Whilst at anchor: Nav lights off, anchor light on, sometimes have my battery lamp on

I also carry a torch, a headlamp, spare batteries and cyalume sticks as backup.

Regards,
Brad

FNQCairns
30-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Dont worry aboutthat Brad, my answer may have the xact same potential.
Anchor and nav on together at all times unless anchored aground tied up etc then no navs are needed only the anchor light. So in effect the anchor light never gets turned off but the navs will be toggled due to circumstance

cheers fnq

Blackened
30-03-2007, 06:22 PM
G'day

I'll just pull you up on something brad.

You lights should be as follows :

Underway - Navigation AND anchor light on

Drifting / not made fast to bottom shore or aground - same as underway

At Anchor - Navigation lights OFF Anchor light ON

Just remember, that whilst underway from behind you cannot see the nav lights, so the anchor(riding) light must be switched on

Dave

seatime
30-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Blackened has it spot on.

for vessels under 12m there is the option of using the anchor light as part of your running lights when underway,
otherwise have a masthead light and stern light switched on, between them will also show a white light thru an arc of 360 degrees.

Hamish73
30-03-2007, 06:34 PM
I think there is no excuse not to have lights. I have those battery operated lights on my tinny, they take a D cell each and cost me $10 from Wynnum marine and installed in 5 minutes. I lost one (they should be ties in incase they pop out over rough chop :-[ ) , so have a multi LED light for that side.

For Steve
30-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Thanks heaps for letting me know. Of course I want to be doing the right thing as I take my boating and fishing very seriously. It goes to show that even after 18+ years of owning a boat, you can still be reminded of some vital information.

Cheers, Brad.

Phoenix
30-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Regulations change and new laws come in - it's good to discuss these sort of topics to keep us in the loop.

mitch92
30-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Here in rocky i am amemebr of the outrigger canoe club and when training on a monday evening we have one of the suction cup type nav. lights on the front of at least one boat (we stay as a group, but still try to have as many lights as possible).

The other week there was some bloke in a dark grey ski boat no more then 40m away, in the dark, STILL wakeboarding, do you think we could see him!!

Blackened
30-03-2007, 09:06 PM
The other week there was some bloke in a dark grey ski boat no more then 40m away, in the dark, STILL wakeboarding, do you think we could see him!![/quote]

G'day

Not a chance, and isn't it illegal to ski of any kind in low/no light situations?

Dave

Luc
30-03-2007, 09:41 PM
With winter and the bream season coming on, the number of boats withoutnav light that will be night fishing at Caloundra has to be seen to be beleived.

Some only carry a torch and it's half dead.

It's time that the boating patrol did some night runs and book the daylights of those who have not nav lights.

$$ are no excuse, you can get cheap battery operated sets.

Luc

2DKnBJ
30-03-2007, 10:32 PM
With winter and the bream season coming on, the number of boats withoutnav light that will be night fishing at Caloundra has to be seen to be beleived.

Some only carry a torch and it's half dead.

It's time that the boating patrol did some night runs and book the daylights of those who have not nav lights.

$$ are no excuse, you can get cheap battery operated sets.

Luc

Not only are these idiots up at Caloundra but you will also find plenty of them around the Pin.
At about this time last week i came within 20 meters of running straight up the rear end of a reasonably new 1/2 cab tinny anchord off Caruso island without an anchor light on.Wouldn't have been a preety sight as i was doing around 40 kph.
The only reason i didn't hit them was because i had my front clears down and i could hear them yelling.Then someone moved in the boat and i saw a light on the dash,possibly a guage.I couldn't say anything too them cause i was to busy trying to shove my heart back down my throat and changing my jocks.
These idiots need to sit back and think about the devestation they would have caused had there been an accident.

My 2 cents worth.

Cheers Dazza

finga
31-03-2007, 06:29 AM
Reading Dazza's story I think it is so important to make sure your anchor light IS visible 360 degrees around the boat.
So many boats have an anchor light but is shaded by bimini's or consoles or motors or PEOPLE.
If your anchor light is not above everything in the boat bung another one or two in so the white light IS visible from every angle.
Some people may have the anchor light on....just can't see it :-/