PDA

View Full Version : what type of paint for plastic ?

ashh
28-03-2007, 09:18 PM
just fitted a home made livewell/bait tank by plumbing in a 40L icebox, and tryed it out this evening, works a treat...BUT.
The coulour of the icebox is a dark blue (inside and out) which makes it rather hard to see the bait, especially at night even with a torch.
I want to paint it white on the inside, but am not sure what type of paint to use??
The ice box is made from impact resistant polyethylene.
Any ideas??:-/

FNQCairns
28-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Not what you asked but what about one of those submersable livewell lights, if the light is below the surface it should be easier to see the fish.

cheers fnq

PS. My brother tried painting a poly kayak it was a failure and he was once in the spray painting game for a while but I dunno for sure it may be possible.

ashh
29-03-2007, 12:13 AM
done a bit of googling and found it can be done.
pulled this from the FAQ on the polycraft site.

Q. How can anti-fouling paint be applied to the bottom of a polyethylene boat?
A. Sand the bottom with a random orbit sander and 80-grit paper (Just like a fibreglass boat). Then, using a propane torch, oxidize the surface by quickly sweeping the blue part of the flame across the bottom of the boat. Do not linger in one area, similar to spray painting (One three foot pass should take less than one second.) Apply Polyethylene Primer to entire area, and then apply your anti fouling paint.

I think I'll pass on the paint idea

I could probably just smear a thin layer of white sikaflex on the bottom?
worse that could happen is it would peel off

blaze
29-03-2007, 07:45 AM
what about a piece of white lamenex (stuff used on kitchen benches), Go and see some one that makes kitchen benches and get an off cut, put a dab of sikaflex in each corner and you then have a very white reflextive surface. Now the only problem I see with this is you will end up with an area under the laminex that you cant clean and this could be fixed by running a bead of sixaflex around the edge.
cheers
blaze

Roughasguts
29-03-2007, 08:20 AM
If you got any water base ceiling white at home paint that on lightly after a rough sanding. It won't last long though, it will scratch off I suspect.

Could you stuff a white plastic bag inside as a liner, or cotton sheet, shade cloth.
Probably need something that will sink, and still pass the water through so your plumbing will still work.

Maybe some off cut light coloured floor lino, easy to rip out and clean, think it sinks.

DR
29-03-2007, 08:39 AM
go to supa creep & look in their canned spray paint section. they used to have a product that was used to prime plastic bumpers in cars before painting. it sticks pretty well. then top coat..might be what you are after..

finga
29-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Yep agree with FNQCairns. Bung a light in it and no more troubles.
Here's a LED one that comes with sealing gaskets etc.
LED means it can stay on for a llllloooonnnnngggg time before it even thinks about upsetting the battery.
http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=49136&search123=led&intAbsolutePage=1
Cheers Scott :)

Noelm
29-03-2007, 10:40 AM
yep, plastic paint is not the problem, it is all in the primer, as suggested get some primer for plastic bumber bars and stuff, then any paint will stick to it, mind you, that slippery sort of plastic like Tupprware, does take some priming to get anything to stick.

dogsbody
29-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Ashh mate go to a screen printer and get some white vinyl sticker material. give them a size of the flat internal dimentions or cut it yourself into rectangle pieces and stick it on. Or if your ever in Bris pm me and i'll see you right.

Dave.

NAGG
29-03-2007, 08:41 PM
just fitted a home made livewell/bait tank by plumbing in a 40L icebox, and tryed it out this evening, works a treat...BUT.
The coulour of the icebox is a dark blue (inside and out) which makes it rather hard to see the bait, especially at night even with a torch.
I want to paint it white on the inside, but am not sure what type of paint to use??
The ice box is made from impact resistant polyethylene.
Any ideas??:-/ Sorry:( very little sticks to polyethylene without treatment such as Corona (Flame) treatment ..... & even then it can be hit or miss ..... NAGG

ashh
30-03-2007, 12:31 AM
thanks for the ideas
I ended up getting a roll of white contact plastic from the newsagents, the stuff you use to cover kids school books with.
basically a big white sticker...$2.50 ;D

Seahorse
30-03-2007, 08:48 PM
plastic primer should be fine. can paint acrylic or 2 pac over. must be sanded. no different to plastic bar.

lippa
31-03-2007, 08:56 AM
ppp polypropolyne(spell) primer!

stark
31-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Dynamite the little buggers and when they float to the surface-pick them up. No problem.

Cheers
John