PDA

View Full Version : Cod question.

rando
13-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Hi everyone
First post in the sweetwater section as i am pretty much exclusively a "salty dog".:D
I was reading some of the debate on stocking barra in the brisbane dams , and noted the debate on Cod ,its availability ,and its potential or lack of it to breed in Wivenhoe/Somerset .

So my question is what is the habitat that promotes cod breeding,,, one of the responses seemed to indicate the presence of gravel beds!.Is this correct???

My next thought is if Wivenhoe and Somerset do not have suitable breeding habitat, ie gravel beds, could the right conditions be created by creating some suitable gravel patches now while the dams are low.

A dozen truck loads of gravel dumped and spread and other structure such as snags etc .etc.where the water conditions will be favorable in various places around the dam,might later pay dividends later when the water comes back.

I would be interested to hear what you think of my idea,

TIMMY 666
15-03-2007, 04:23 PM
I think it's a good idea. But I think would be very difficult to transport enough gravel to the right places; like the feeder creeks. :-/

Tim.

Matthias
29-03-2007, 10:28 AM
I once spoke to a guy who said that it is hard for cod to breed in still water. He explained that female cod release hormones into the water when they are ready to spawn and because they don't move around the hormones they release are very unlikely to reach a male cod. Usually in the wild the hormones would be carried in the current to attract the male cod.

Pete.