PDA

View Full Version : Another small jack

Creek Vermin
08-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Went for a quick jack fish this arv up the passage with my mate shaun. Things started slow with only a cattie and a small cod hitting our lures. As the tide dropped the action started and a big jack smashed my prawnstar before pulling the hooks. A change over to plastics brought a few sharp hits and eventually one of them stuck and a small jack came aboard. A 120mm sqidgy wriggler in red rum did the damage. I've never seen so many small jacks as i have this season so I guess we're in for a good few seasons ahead. The water has been really clean around the brissy and passage creeks this year so lets hope a lot of the bigger ones are yet to make their way out finding a couple of my lures on their way. A few tasty cold treats topped off a quiet but good day. Cheers

greenie.77
08-03-2007, 09:07 PM
nice fish there its good to see the jacks are still here

lumox
09-03-2007, 06:32 AM
good fish were u fishing from a boat?

the gecko
09-03-2007, 09:29 AM
Pulled the hooks on a prawnstar?? What size lure was it, the medium size? Ive been wondering whether to upgrade these hooks or not, as I use prawnstars often.

Do you think drag settings are an issue in pulled hooks, or was it just a snodger?

cheers
Andrew

Creek Vermin
09-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Andrew- I often pull hooks using prawnstars as I tend to go a bit hard on them. I've even straightened one. I have my drag cranked to the max most times when fishing for them, but I very rarely get dusted. All depends on whether you want to pull hooks or lose lures. The hooks in them are VMC's so the quality isn't too bad and it does take a hell of a lot to bend them. Cheers mate

the gecko
10-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Yeah I hate losing lures. Ive lost about 6 prawnstars this summer, but none of them had a fish on the end, they were lost on rock snags. Thats getting expensive at $15 a pop, but its part of the game in jack territory.

I use a set of scales and set my drag to 2.5kg for 7.5kg line. Always set it to a third of the line weight. After a while you get to know the right drag without scales. If the fish takes line on this drag, then I let him. When he tires, I pull him back. Havent pulled a hook yet. Had one big jack make it back to his lair and cut me off on the rocks, oh well, sometimes the fish wins. Its jacks 1, me 4, so far this season.

Max drag is what pulls hooks. I guess you knew this already? looks like you dont need any advice with the jacks anyway mate.

cheers
Andrew

Murph77
10-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Nice session mate, what kind of outfit and line class are you using for the jacks?

Creek Vermin
10-03-2007, 05:10 PM
G'day murph. I use heavy gear for them mate cause most of the structure I fish is very unforgiving. 20lb braid and 40 or 50lb leader on 6kg rods mostly.

jackcowboy
02-04-2007, 06:47 PM
small alright!

jackextracter
02-04-2007, 08:33 PM
small alright!
I reckon any jack is worth catching, even if they are small still a jack, good catch anyway mate.

richieboy
02-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Hey Kieth. I thought you were in a form slump. Picked up the latest B&B. This is supposed to be the best time of the year for ya. Looks like some of those snags might start giving up a few reds before it gets too cold mate.
Maybe start livebaiting eh??
Nice little Jack, I'm with extractor. Any Jack is a good one. Well done.

Rich

kingtin
03-04-2007, 06:55 AM
small alright!

Aaaah! brilliant response for a first post http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_8_212.gif

kev

ooglie74
03-04-2007, 07:24 AM
Well done keith hope you nail a that biggin soon mate.
Go the prawn stars.

Chalkandcheese
04-04-2007, 09:42 PM
how ya going keith,

Good to see plenty of little fellas around, should mean some good fishing for the next few seasons. whats the biggest you've landed this season?

Cheers.

Creek Vermin
05-04-2007, 02:52 AM
Got a couple of 51's mate. Lost some real horses mostly due to pulled and straightened hooks. Still a bit of the seson left so hopefully one of them sticks soon.

Smailesy
05-04-2007, 03:35 PM
good read keith hope you are right about next season and the cold treats were they easter eggs mate

Creek Vermin
05-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Wish the bunny bought me those type of easter eggs smailesy. Good to see ya back champ.

Smailesy
05-04-2007, 05:32 PM
yea mate it has been a while been very bzy( ask ya bro) but the good thing is the new 6meter poly is just around the corner and i still have got my eyes open 4 your tank mate enjoy those jacks they will be gone soon