PDA

View Full Version : Bribie sandies still firing

Freeeedom
06-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Launched about 5.30 Monday and put the pots out opposite Bongaree jetty then ran up to Shag Island to pump some yabbies before the banks went under. Fished under the bridge for a few hours on the rise before collecting the pots about 11.30. Managed 6 legal fish (2 grassies, 2 Moses perch, 1 slatey morwong and 1 bream) plus heaps of undersize Moses Perch and 18 sandies. The crabs were of very good quality only 1 or 2 needing a measure. No pics - seen one heap of crabs you've seen them all. Beautiful day on the water and a nice feed as well.
Cheers Freeeedom

Raesen
06-03-2007, 04:45 PM
The last time I was up that way I got a heap of sandies as well!!!!! Flies (sand flies) that is !!! The Ba##ards.
Good trip by the sound of it.
Lets face it - as said many times before - " A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work!!!
Cheers
Pete

84mick
06-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Hey Freeeedom you got your self a good catch there. Is the weed all gone yet? Its been a while since I've been there for that reason.

Cheers, Mick.

Scalem
07-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Hey Freeedom,

You must have used pots, not dillies for that length of time, is that the case?

I have several collapsible opera house style pots I guess are designed for muddies, on my next trip out into the bay, do you think these will catch me a few? I've never tried them on Sandies. It's worth dropping a few of them if you can catch that many, well done!!

Scalem

Freeeedom
07-03-2007, 06:52 AM
Hey Freeeedom you got your self a good catch there. Is the weed all gone yet? Its been a while since I've been there for that reason.

Cheers, Mick.

Yeah Mick, the weed's been gone for a couple of weeks now. There was a tiny bit on the last of the rise but not enough to cause any trouble
Cheers Freeeedom

Freeeedom
07-03-2007, 06:56 AM
Hey Freeedom,

You must have used pots, not dillies for that length of time, is that the case?

I have several collapsible opera house style pots I guess are designed for muddies, on my next trip out into the bay, do you think these will catch me a few? I've never tried them on Sandies. It's worth dropping a few of them if you can catch that many, well done!!

Scalem

Hi Scalem - I was using pots. I find that the tidal run in the mouth of the passage is too strong for using dillies. There were a lots of dillies up nearer to the bridge which I saw guys checking but I don't know how they went. Dillies would also be out in the open bay (around the Pearl Banks) where I like to crab if the wind isn't up, but I haven't been able to get out there yet this year
Cheers Freeeedom

ShaneJ
07-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Hi Freeeedom, How you going these days?

Mate can you explain where the Pearl Banks are? I know where the Western Banks are and the Pearl Channel, but I don't know the Pearl Banks.

Thanks mate

Freeeedom
08-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Hi Shane
Going good mate - not catching heaps but enough to keep me happy. Only fishing about 3 days a week at the moment but I'm heading up to Tin Can Bay with the boat for a week soon to explore the Great Sandy Straits. Should be interesting.
The Pearl Banks are the banks through which the Pearl Channel runs. They are about half way between Scarborough and Bribie on a line from Scarborough to Comboyuro Point. I like to chase the sandies there at this time of year on a morning rising tide - have had some spectacular catches there at times, but with my smaller boat I need good weather to get out there now and that hasn't happened yet this year.
Cheers Freeeedom

ShaneJ
08-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Mate you should have a good time up in the sandy straights. I hope to get up to Hervey Bay again soon to have some fun.

I would of loved to get up to the pearl channel this weekend to chase some sandies and drop some plastics down in the channel, but unfortunately the tide isn't our side this weekend.
I'll have to come up with something else to do.

Thanks for your help mate, good luck in Tin Can Bay.