PDA

View Full Version : Wello/ Ormo Shark on a Placcy

Adamy
02-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Decided to fish the run up at Wello this morning but when I got up it was raining - so back to bed, couldnt sleep so up and call up my mate George - see if he was up for an impromptu trip. He's about the only guy I know who I can call at the last minute and say get your gear - I'll be there in 20. The benefits of retirement I suppose. We didnt get the boat in the water till 6.30am and started a bumpy trip from Raby bay to Wello. We thought we were going to be in for a good day when my new Egrell buckles over on the first drift, after a short fight a 43cm squire hits the esky - after that - nothing!

From Wello, we tried Green then Ormeau shallows, it was all very quiet until I had a double hook; up the first rod gets bitten off and the second gets dropped, but while winding in the second a nice trevally grabs the placcie and hits the esky a minute later - meanwhile George is on to his first fish of the day - 3 hours without a touch - I think he was losing hope.

A short while later and the Egrell buckles over again and line start peeling away at a very fast rate, I called it for a big trevor as the speed and lack of head shakes meant it wasnt a Snapper. After a few minutes almost 3 ft of angry black tip reef shark comes towards the boat - but didnt want to have a bar of the gaff and kept powering away - after about 5 minutes of playing it close to the boat George gaffs my first ever plastic caught shark. I was pretty wrapped cause I'd eat black tip over squire anyday.

End result we ended up with 4 squire to 43cms, a trevor and the shark. Not a bad morning considering the time we hit the water. No photos of the other fish - they didnt come out - but attached is a couple of pics of the Shark.

Most fish were caught in relatively shallow water 2.5 - 4 metres. Placcies that did the damage were 5" gulp jerk shads in nuclear chick and watermelon and 3" punkinseed minnow grub gulps.

Adam

cuzzamundi
02-03-2007, 03:29 PM
that's a dusky whaler; aka common, or black whaler. juveniles have black colouration on the top of their caudal fins which leads to their being mistaken with black tips. they grow to 14ft, and become VERY stocky after about 7ft. great fighters with powerful runs. theyre rampant in the shallows this time of year, especially in april.

cuzza

T1
02-03-2007, 03:41 PM
A feed is a feed but what were you thinking hitting Wello after 6.30am??? Gee, old age must be catching up with you huh?!

Still at least you had some fun and i'm glad you left the bigger Squire for me for the weekend!!

Take Care T

Adamy
02-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks Cuzza... They taste pretty good anyway at that size. Put up a great fight on light gear!

T: Yeh I know!! felt old too this morning!::) They werent in the usual places this morn - try shallower - we tried 5.5 - 8 metres - on the normal drop offs barely a touch. Water is murky green - perfect for threadie killers! Good luck!

Adam

Poodroo
02-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Great stuff Adam. I'm glad that you kept the little black tipped shark. They are great eating my friend. :) I caught one many years ago and I have to agree on the taste test! 10 out of 10 in my books. ;)

Poodroo

Adamy
02-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Hi Droo... Yeh we gave away the squire to friends and kept the shark, ate half tonight - even my 3 yr old who hates fish came back for more "chicken".;D

Adam

Aquarius
02-03-2007, 09:34 PM
G,Day Adam, Nice catch on the plastic and yeah those little sharks go hard.
I must agree they do melt in your mouth and are very tasty.
When i was fishing Wello with bait some years ago i had these sharks in a frenzy around the boat and some times when hooked they would take to the air like a marlin trying to throw the hook.
I was using small plastic floats and one even ate that they were so fired up.
Glad you had a good session today and left some bigger fish for us to catch this weekend.
Cheers Brent

GES
03-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Hmmm ... Coupla dodgy looking characters in the pics. One trying to disguise himself with sunglasses and the other shading his face with that veiled hat. ;)

GES

outsiderskip
03-03-2007, 06:03 AM
nice feed adam
better fishing next time

pete

scubakempo
03-03-2007, 06:37 AM
nice mate they r a lot fun the little buggers

mickstar001
03-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Nce shark adam good work, good to get a few squire too!

Mickstar

Murph77
03-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Nice session Adam and a solid shark, never nailed one on a SP before. Got to love that "chicken"!

dogsbody
04-03-2007, 07:28 AM
Hmmmm tasty shark good effort on the gear you would have been using.

Dave.