PDA

View Full Version : ? On blank exposed reel seats

Hornet1
01-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Just wondering how to go about measuring up for one....obviously getting the measurement from where the reel seat is going to sit on the blank, but is it meant to be a tight fit or have a little clearance and if so, how much??
Thanks in advance

DR
01-03-2007, 03:50 PM
i have 2 factory rods with them on. i have never built one myself. they are both the same size seats with diff size blanks. the blanks appear to fit nice & snug. sorry i cannot be more helpful. i am sure someone has built with one..

just had a quick look on the internet. thet go up in .5mm, so i would say they fit nice & snug as mine appear to.
this site had them listed from 9.5mm-14.5mm

Tony_l
04-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Hornet1

Snug fit is the way to go.

I have built a few exposed blank reel saets.

I'm currently building an ultra light bait caster for J.P's. The blank is to thin for the reel seat so what I intend to do is after the rod is finished fill the gap with rod epoxy. The blank is in the centre of the seat and the blank is exposed.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Tony

Bearclaw
04-03-2007, 05:46 PM
You measure the dia. of the blank at the point of the reel seat, approx. 30 mm from where the rear grip ends. Order the sized seat that is the closest, I always get it the exact size or next size small, you can reame them carefully.

Hornet1
05-03-2007, 02:42 PM
OK....Thanks for your help guys.