PDA

View Full Version : what kayak for 120 kg creek and occasional offshore fisher and diver?

rick k
02-02-2007, 12:56 AM
Been thinking about getting some exercise that I enjoy, and looking for onwater suggestions

Bit of a porker currently at 120kg. Have a pointy punt with minnkota tiller steer etc, but looking for some enjoyable exercise.

Done some time in canoes and have a french touring kayak from when I was a teenager, which I probably could not get into now.

Local use would be estuary trolling and casting.

Possibility of offshore Sunny Coast fishing and diving.

Maybe would be nice to take the nipper, but in reality, it ain't going to happen except perhaps for creek trips.

What might work, and where from?

tigermullet
02-02-2007, 04:49 AM
Kayak? This is what worries me about kayaks.

But then I am a real chicken.

finga
02-02-2007, 08:46 AM
I'd be more worried about boats not seeing me (especially in the open bay or sea) then the odd noah getting me

Luc
02-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Have a look at this one.

http://www.oceankayak.co.nz/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=75

Have to agree with Finga about boats. Have been canoeing for over 30 years and never had problems with fishlife. Most have been from ignorant or smartass boaties/jetskis.

Luc

shayned
02-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Welcome to the big boys club. I'm doing exactly what you're trying to do. For the whole scope of advice go to www.akff.net (http://www.akff.net) but as a basic list try out the perception swing see billy bob at noosa fishing for an excellent fully fish rigged set up. Try the Vicking range of yaks the esprit is great value for money. Karl on here had one for ages before up upgrading. Search for the new kingfisher yak as well.

daledog
02-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi Rick, I agree with shayned about the swing. I have a 'swing angler' which i use for hitting small creeks and bass fishing. Is absolutely great. Im only 70kg but ive had myself and the girlfriend on it (even though its a one seater ;) ) and it still floats high and was still easy to paddle. Ive been offshore in it before but coming in through waves and stuff is not a good idea, at 4m long the bum end gets picked up pretty easy in a decent size wave. but if you had a bay or something to launch and retrieve in it would be great.

camj
02-02-2007, 06:00 PM
I've Had a Hobie Outback for a few months and think it's great.They are a bit different in that Hobie's are pedal powered. If your not familar with them have a look at http://www.sunstatehobie.com.au/ .Not the cheapest option but great for fishing because you have your hands free.I've been offshore a few times with no problem but coming back in through the surf is a bit tricky.
What ever you choose you'll love fishing from a kayak.My tinnie hardly gets out anymore.
Good luck

cammac
02-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Id definitely go for the sit on top style plastic ones so if you did capsize it doesnt fill with water - some have rod holders and waterproof hatches and one i saw had a clear plastic bottom window - to watch those big critters under you!!:o

rick k
02-02-2007, 11:03 PM
If I can see them, they can see me. Might put 'em off.

Saw a pedal power hobie at Monduran last time. Fair turn of speed.

Thanks for the tips and links so far, will go and do some browsing.

Luc, g'day. Still working at the same paper factory? I still am.

Rick K

StevenM
03-02-2007, 05:02 AM
Rick

I have a viking tempo fisherman..good safe and stable yak. Definetly get on to akff and have a look.

Dan_A
03-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Rick

I have a viking tempo fisherman..good safe and stable yak. Definetly get on to akff and have a look.

This is a pic of my Yak over at AKFF it is a Prowler Elite 4.5 very stable and good for offshore and inshore, lake/estuary etc.

http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5545&highlight=

Also try kfdu.com.au

Dan

Luc
03-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Hi Rick K,

Yeah, still the same place. Probably 10 more years.

Luc

rick k
04-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks for all the tips. Done some reading.

Seems if I want to take the missus and nipper, the tinny is the way to go.

Having confirmed the prices, including second hand, I now need to decide whether this is a flight of fancy, or lose enough kilos and gain enough flexibility to fit into my old french tourer (yeah,yeah, not for offshore:-) ) And then look again

Thanks heaps for the info and the links, and happy to read more.

arpie
23-03-2007, 10:43 AM
....... looking for some enjoyable exercise.........

Hi Rik

The Hobie 'pedal' kayak would be great for you - you get fantastic abdominal exercise at the same time as enjoying your fishing! It is the main reason I got into hobies! You won't find me at a gym or doing workouts, but i try & get on the water a few times a week in my pedal powered craft & love it! I don't think of it as 'exercise'!

I have recently downsized from an Hobie Outback to the Sport model - so will be advertising my Outback soon.

Check out

http://www.gumtree.com.au/cgi-bin/show_posting.pl?posting_id=8769227

the Outback will take up to 180kg weight & is good for rivers, dams, lakes & ocean!

Cheers

Arpie

grey_inflatable
23-03-2007, 07:21 PM
were on the sunnt coast are you im thinking of doing a over niter to mudjimba island.