PDA

View Full Version : cork life

fish_on
31-01-2007, 04:24 PM
does anyone out ther know what the best thing is to put over your cork grips to make them last longer. ive got some custom rods i really want to try and have for as long as i can. ive seen one bloke put coats and coats of varnish on but thought it would make it a bit slippery whenever wet. ive also heard of bees wax. anyone out there got any suggestions :)

hooknose
31-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Pilly juice and scales ?
Just joking mate, I have heard about the wax but never tried it, good luck !

stark
31-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Go to a music store which sells instruments. They will have a cork grease which should work.

Cheers
John

fish_on
01-02-2007, 11:54 AM
thanks boys not too worried about it just thought if there is anything good out there. will try the music shop. cheers

Bearclaw
01-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Fish-on there is a product called cork seal produced by Trondak it is a not bad stuff, but keeping the cork clean with a bit a soap and water and a scotch brite will keep them looking like new and keep the cockies away.

wheezer
01-02-2007, 10:47 PM
as myles said, don't put anything on them. cork is used for for it's 'tactile' feel so why ruin it by putting something on it. clean the cork regularly with soap or detergent based cleaner and water (never a solvent based product as it will dissolve the filler and make the cork look horrible) and the cork will last the lifetime of your rod.

Pistol_P
01-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Fish-on there is a product called cork seal produced by Trondak it is a not bad stuff, but keeping the cork clean with a bit a soap and water and a scotch brite will keep them looking like new and keep the cockies away.

Beerclaw I have often used WD40 on a rag and used on my cork grips....They come up like new.8-)

Bearclaw
02-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Pistol_P,
I know WD40 gets used on many a rod and for most fisho's they are happy with it, but it is a petroleum based product and with prolonged use will lead to damaging the rods coatings/grips. A very good product to keep a rod and grips looking good, is good old MrSheen it is almond oil, no silicones etc and will easily wash off blank and guides (not as easy the grips) with a bit of soap and water.

Pistol_P
02-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Thanks Beerclaw,
I have heard that a couple of times about the wd40....
I will give the Mr sheen a go next time.
Cheers
Pete

rick k
06-02-2007, 11:13 PM
G'day Bearclaw,

I could very well be wrong, but having mucked around a bit with old timber clocks etc, the 'lore' used to be that Mr Sheen had silicone, which made subsequent french polishing a drama.

I'm sure we have a tin somewhere, but am happy to say I don't know where it is, so can't check the label. I do know where the beeswax and gum turpentine polish is, however. Unfortunately.

Stuart
07-02-2007, 08:09 AM
There is enough oil in your skin to help keep grips looking good. I dont know why people want to seal their cork grips for, I mean I have rods here that I built years ago. The rods have been floged along with the cork grips and still they look great and are holding up.

Stu

DR
07-02-2007, 11:58 AM
keep them natural, & if you have to clean them give them a rub in a cloth soaked with metho .Will look like new & causes no problems..

Toddy_again
18-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Metho and a course rag makes mine come up like new.

Toddy