PDA

View Full Version : Was I stitched up???

ShaneC
28-01-2007, 03:22 AM
Please excuse my ignorance, I am technically inept on some issues but am not afraid to admit it.

I recently put some Cooper ATR's on my new Hilux and got rid of the standard tyres as they are shite. I was told when I bought them that I needed to replace the spare as well as the new tyres were a different size to the originals (265's as opposed to 255's). I bought the spare as well, I figured if I kept the vehicle long enough to warrant new tyres, then I will keep the best one as a spare and only need to buy three next time.

I was telling this to a mate today and he found great delight in knowing there are still suckers like me around. He is still laughing actually, but he doesn't know that I stole my big bottle of Bundy back off him in retaliation. He is of the opinion that the different size tyre would not do any damage if not driven too far, and worst case put the odd size tyre on the front and you will be sweet until you can get somewhere to replace it. He knows a bit more about cars than me but he ain't no mechanic I can assure you....

I was also of the same thinking I must admit, but with the technology on the new fourby's now (ABS, EBD etc, etc) I erred on the side of caution and took the tyre guys word for it so I didn't break the new addition to the family should I get a flat.....

Whats the general feeling?? Did the guy just want to sell me another tyre or was there a genuine reason for his recommendations???

If this is something that everyone should know, I apologise, I just really want to shut my mate up with a little bit of technical info so I sound smarter than I actually am.

Thanks.

Shane

Alan TSV
28-01-2007, 07:55 AM
HI Shane,

You should have 5 tyres the same size. Flat tyres don't normally happen on Mondays 5k's from the tyre shop. They usually happen midnight Saturday on a long weekend. Also if you have an accident whilst using the spare, insurance could give you a hard time.

A problem with the theory of only replacing 3 tyres next time may not work. Generally speaking the spare will have gone hard by the time you need new tyres. Saying that, Coopers are a good tyre, my spare is about 11 years old. Very hard and should be replaced. In 11 years of Coopers x 2 sets, one flat tyre and that was when the tread was 90% worn.

Enjoy the Rum

Al

akman1
28-01-2007, 08:59 PM
I really dont want to know how much fun your mate would have watching you try to drive down the highway with 2 different profile tyres on the front,mind you it doesnt do the lsd much good on the back either and if its a resonably new hilux you'd also have to look at warranty issues.Its also something you dont want to do with constant 4x4s
If you did what coopers tell you about rotating and wheel alignment with any tyre,you would probably find cheaper tyres last just as long.
My 2bobs worth-stick it into your mate!!!
If you cant beat him with brilliance,find some way to baffle him with bull

Lucky_Phill
28-01-2007, 09:08 PM
For a few reasons. 5 tyres the same is good advice. And BTW, you have purchased some very good tyres here.

There will be arguements for and against Coopers, but seriously, the testamonials speak for themselves. You may get the tyre life of Coopers out of other brands doing the regular as clockwork Alignments and Rotations, but, check out the tread depth, side wall construction etc.

I have run Coopers on the last 2 ....... 4 x 4's and won't go to any other tyre. And YES, I have the same tyre as a spare, all be it on a different rim.

Phill

2iar
28-01-2007, 10:13 PM
I've got 5 tyres all the same.

You've got 5 tyres all the same and a bottle of rum.

If you ever want to swap, just give me a yell ;)

Good luck,
Mike

snasman
29-01-2007, 12:39 AM
Shane c you have done the right thing if you brought the 5th wheel as you stated with the modern vehicle and abs ect ect it is essential that they are all the same size or the system will not and can not function correctly on top of that different size tyres will cause damage to your diffs but most importantantly and I know this is all if buts and mabys but your insurance is void if involved in any form of accident,just one more point a phone call to the insurance company your with to ask them about the size tyres that have been purchased would not hurt either just to be on the safe side they are vey strick about this these days and quite a few four wheel drivers are being left with massive bills because they have put wheels and tyres on their vehicles that fall outside of the guidelines. enjoy ya rum.cheers Snas

ShaneC
29-01-2007, 01:29 AM
Thanks for your input guys. Snas, I ensured that the tyres were ok for insurance, 265's are no problem on a Hilux rim, any bigger I would have had to get new wheels. We have a plan for the Polar Bear juice tomorrow night as no work on Tuesday and a looong way from water, I'll wait til he's p!ssed up a bit then baffle him with my newfound wisdom on all things tyres. Appreciate the info.

Thanks gents,

Shane

Brett1907
29-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Shane, its not so much the width (245, 265, 285) as the rolong diamater. Your tyre will read like this... 265 75 17. The first is the code for width, the second for profile and the third for rim size. Google for tyre sizing and you should be able to find a site which can convert these numbers into a rolling diameter, or just measure it yourself.

QLD Transport only allow a 15mm increase in rolling diameter. Thats it!!! This can mean that a 265 75 16 from one company may meet the requirements, while from another company it may exceed the limits.

Yes, Coopers are very good tyres and you should definately have 5 tyres the same size. Don't keep the spare unused, include it in your tyre rotation. Remember, for the cooper waranty you MUST rotate regularly.

Brett

ShaneC
30-01-2007, 03:28 AM
Brett, I don't think thats the size mate. I am pretty sure they are 265 60 15's.... I am not certain, I'll get the squeeze to have a look at them for me. They fit on the standard Hilux rim which is a 15 so I know at least that part is right. I didn't want to change the rims and originally wanted BFG's but they don't make AT's in 15's. I was assured with certainty that the tyres I bought are ok with regards to legality. No complaints about the Coopers, but they have only done one trip up to Rainbow with the family before I had to go back to work..... so she's tarped up for another 2 months :(

Brett1907
30-01-2007, 08:07 AM
Shane, I was just using those sizes as an example. If you bought the SR5 you will have 15in alloys, if its the SR it will have 16in steelies.

We are looking at going over to Moreton Island again this easter, are you or anyone going to be over there at that time?

Brett

shayned
30-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Another thing to consider is that for a car to be considered road worthy in Qld the front tyres must be matching. Not to mention safe enough to drive particularly in the wet on the tarmac.

finding_time
30-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Shane c

Brett is correct the 265 refers to it's width to get is rolling dia. you need the next figure which will be something like a 65,70 or 75 and this refers to a percentage of it's width in hieght.

On my vehicle i run 285 75's which are 285 wide and 75% of that width high but say i decided to go to 305 70's i would not need a new spare as there rolling dia. are almost identical.

So if you provide both numbers from you old tyres and your new ones it will be very easy to work out if you really needed the spare.

Ian

murf
30-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Hi ShaneC

I put Cooper LT245-75R16 ATRs on mine with a diameter of 775mm.

I find with the manual gearbox 1st and reverse are too long legged :(

but this is my 4th set of Cooper ATs and I get over 110,000km on a set of 4 on the Hilux's and love them.

Wish I had listened to the Boss Lady and got an auto :)

Your standard SR5 tyres would of had a diameter of 738mm and your new Coopers if they are 265-70R15 are 752mm.

If you look at the Cooper web site you can see all this info.

The tyre you have are only given 50,000km where the LT series go up to 90,000km so be mindfull of the km's you get on them.

On the downside the LT series are a lot rougher in the ride :( and IMHO don't float as well on the sand

I just got a second hand tyre of the same size and put on the 16" steel as a spare.

Cheers Murf

ShaneC
31-01-2007, 02:20 AM
Murf,
The auto wasn't a point of argument for me, my personal finance minister put her foot down and it was the only way I was getting the new car. I must admit with the TD the auto goes very well and I am glad she forced me into that option, I don't think I will go back to the manual, especially for beach driving, you can't beat it.
Brett, as a matter of fact an Easter Moreton trip is on the cards... I am not sure of the dates that Easter falls on (I think Good Friday is 6 April), I get home 1 April all things going to plan, so if my dates are right I will most likely be on Moreton for a week or so around that time. Should be great!!!

Shane

Brett1907
01-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Shane, Fiday 6 April is Easter Friday. Looks like I'll be going over Wednesday to set up and going home Thursday to bring the family back over that night or friday morning. If you are going in the car you need to get bookrd early as the barge fills up quick. We'll be taking the micat over I think.

I am thinking of the most northern camping spot on the western side of the island. But I remember a couple of posts a while back about some good spots on the eastern side. We'll see what happens. It'd be good to catch up, have a couple of drinks and hopefully not be outfished by the nightwatchman again.

Brett

ShaneC
01-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Brett,
Sounds like a plan mate, I will go from the Comby Trader at Scarborough cos its close to home.... give me a week or so to get everything in place...we could even organise a way to help each other out with the fams...
I'll PM you in the next couple of weeks when I have a better idea of what the plans may be. Its hard making arrangements a couple of months out for me, but I am sure we can sort something. I have a nearly three yr old boy so he would be a sandfly magnet on the western side so I am favouring the east side at this stage.

We will talk mate

Shane