PDA

View Full Version : Best Impoundment

gunna
17-11-2001, 06:49 AM
Here is one for the Sth Qlders. I will be on the gold coast for a fortnight in March. If I want to spend a day on just 1 impoundment - within lets say a 3 hour drive - whats the best ??

Fitzy
17-11-2001, 09:19 PM
I'd have to say Somerset is best place for a fish.
Produces some if the better quality fish in the form of Bass and Yellowbelly plus the odd Mary River cod to 15kgs as well. Also some 2 kg+ tilapia at present.
Good access & great facilities. Is about 2 hours drive from the gold coast. Hinze dam is quite close to the coast, but is electric motors only & while it produces good numbers of fish, mostly bass, the size of them on average compared to Somerset is rather ordinary.
Others in the 3 hour range limit are:
Moogerah (average to big bass)
Toonumbar (bass)
Wivenhoe (Big Bass & Forktailed Catfish)
Atkinsons (saratoga)
Cressbrook (average bass)
Leslie (yellowbelly & odd cod)
Maroon (average bass)

Hope that helps,

Fitzy..

Slates
07-12-2001, 08:29 AM
I reckon you SEQ-ers have got some great lakes within coo-ee of Brissie....

Love the joint..

Cheers, Slates

robgps20
12-12-2001, 04:41 AM
Could someone please tell me where the leslie impoundment is? I think I have heard of it before but just can't seem to remember where it is anymore. Please help me out here.
Thanks in Advance
Rob Russell

Chris_J
12-12-2001, 05:44 AM
hey there rob

I gather you are refering to Lesile dam? ???
Lesile is about 20km out of warwick in SEQLD. it a great little dam but can be really busy on weekends so mid-week is the best time to fish there ;)

imported_admin
12-12-2001, 06:33 AM
Could someone please tell me where the leslie impoundment is? I think I have heard of it before but just can't seem to remember where it is anymore. Please help me out here.
Thanks in Advance
Rob Russell

Check out Fitzys website if you are looking for information on Freshwater Impoundments
http://www.ausfish.com.au/fitzy
Maps, info, species, etc......

sav
18-12-2001, 05:37 PM
Gunna
If you have 3 hours, travel to Cressbrook Lake which is just 40k north of Toowoomba. Take your swag as it has near the best facilities for camping in SEQ and at just 5.50 per night. The bass are on the go now on deep diver lures so the travel will be worth it - guarentee you will be back.
Let us know what you end up doing.
Sav

Chris_J
23-12-2001, 12:45 PM
Sav

i'd have to agree with you Cressbrook is a great dam and being only 40mins from my home in toowoomba it is a great places to escape for an afternoon or a couple of days. And if u fish hard u can land some real rippers to.

May see u there some day? ???

CJ:)