PDA

View Full Version : any suggestions ?

joe
06-01-2002, 12:51 PM
I often find myself bank fishing on the local dams (can't afford a boat) I use bait mostly but with little luck.I don't use lures,don't even know if they would be any good from the bank.Any suggestions on what I could do to improve my chances would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.
Joe.

Luke
06-01-2002, 05:39 PM
Hey Joe,
I don't do a lot of impoundment fishing but what I have found successful is to go to a place where you know they catch fish and keep going whether you catch nothing for the first few times and don't give up till you localise yourself with the area. Talk to other guys on the bank and ckeck out their setups. You will end up feeling out the better times to be there and you will start picking up fish eventually. Get a feel for a place and it will soon work for you. Maybe take a trip with a guide on the dam you fish most and will surprise you what you can learn in a day. I've had the same feeling as you have before.
Cheers Luke

The_Walrus
06-01-2002, 05:52 PM
Hi Joe,

How do you rig? In my local dam (Norh Pine Qld) many rig with the hook at the end of the line. Unfortunately, in many cases, this means the bait is buried in the weedbeds.

Those who use a "patennoster" rig (weight on the end of the line and hook on a dropper) seem to fare better as the bait is not buried in the weeds but is suspended above the bottom.

Have you tried fishing a live shrimp suspended under a small float?.

Luc

sav
06-01-2002, 05:56 PM
Joe
Not sure which dams you frequent but dams such as Cressbrook which have very little weed, fish well from the bank. Ask a couple of locals and they will tell you plenty of spots where you get into 20 foot water within a short cast.
Dead bait or worms will get you yellowbelly and dew and live shrimp (have to bring them with you), & worms to some degree will get you bass.

Dams with extensive weed eg Cooby, Wivenhoe - good luck - but using a float with live bait is probably your best bet. Locals will again be able to put you on to spots with fast drop offs where you can bottom fish. Ask the guys at the boat ramp as they usually know where there are drop offs from the bank.
If you need some locations on Cressbrook or Cooby drop a line and I'll try my best.
Regards
Sav