PDA

View Full Version : Barra Size landing net

davo
02-01-2002, 07:42 AM
Just got back from Awoonga dam, it was our first trip. We caught some nice fish but I found that using the Environ-net was a bit of a pain. Are there any knotless barra size nets available and if so where can I get one? I'm going up to Hinchnbrook and Townsville in March/April and wanted to have a more suitable catch and release net.

Davo :)

Katrina
02-01-2002, 03:13 PM
;D Where we you at Awoonga? We stayed at the Caravan Park. Got back on Saturday. We used a Gillies Style net (I think!) quite large, but we managed to get trebles caught up in the netting, and around the gill rakes of the fish. Check my post in Fishing reports, and you will notice the fish is still attached to the net! Had to cut the net to get the fish out. I would definitely like to know if there is a better alternative! Good luck!

Katrina
02-01-2002, 03:22 PM
::) I meant where were you at Awoonga :-/? We were there from Boxing day till last Saturday. Lotsa fun! ;D

davo
04-01-2002, 03:28 PM
Hi Katrina,

My wife and I were up there between 10th to the 22nd of Dec.
We were camped on site 18 down the bottom near the permanents.

Davo

heaney
07-01-2002, 06:18 PM
try the environet range great for catch and release and hooks never get caught in them , not cheap though at around 90 dollars

heaney
07-01-2002, 06:20 PM
sorry didnt read your post correctly, what trouble did you have with the environets

davo
08-01-2002, 01:44 PM
Hello Heaney,

I,ve got a medium sized Enviro net and i think it's great except that it was difficult to manuvoure the net in the water.

I know it should be the other way around but with Barra it can be interesting. I've seen the larger ones with the cord on the bottom. I don,t know anyone with one. I was basically after an alterative to the Enviro net with less water resistance.

Davo

davo
11-02-2002, 01:27 PM
The main problem with the Enviro-net was trying to move the net in the water to scoop the fish. I know they have a lot of water resistance. I've got a medium sized one and it is great except for this problem.We caught a 92cm Barra and I don't tthink it would fit in a larger Enviro-net. I was after a knottless style one like I've seen used in some magazines but these are smaller sized ones.

After asking my mate at Amart ######### and various places as well as the net I've bought a normal style one in a huge size. I can fit a bean bag in it easily.

Davo