PDA

View Full Version : Sleepy Cod found in Lake Gregory.

Fitzy
14-03-2002, 05:49 PM
The following is a copy of a QFS press release.
[hr]
12 March 2002

Illegal sleepy cod release in Lake Gregory

A recent joint Department of Primary Industries and Bundaberg Sports Fishing Club survey of the Lake Gregory Isis Balancing Storage area has uncovered the survivors of an illegal fish release of Sleepy Cod.

DPI Queensland Fisheries Service officer, Chris Lupton, said they found a significant number of Sleepy Cod which were about three years old.

“These fish are native to northern Queensland and should not be stocked in Burnett catchment waters, as local species offer the best chance of establishing and maintaining a healthy recreational fishery in this impoundment,” Mr Lupton said.

“The Bundaberg Sports Fishing Club members, who have stocked Lake Gregory for many years were very disappointed with the irresponsible actions of some individual who released these fish into this impoundment. The Balancing Storage is well known as a local freshwater Australian bass fishery.

“Voluntary fish stocking groups, like the Bundaberg Sports Fishing Club, formulate five-year fish stocking management plans with the DPI in order to place the appropriate native recreational fish species into local waters,” he said.

Mr Lupton said Sleepy Cod had the ability to breed in impounded waters, would compete directly with species such as bass and could upset the natural balance of species native to the catchment.

“The Fisheries Act 1994 provides for stiff penalties for people who irresponsible put noxious and other inappropriate fish species in Queensland waters. Unapproved releases could jeopardise the success of the agreed stocking program and undermine the voluntary efforts and hard work of the Bundaberg Sports Fishing Club,” he said.

[hr]
There you go Bundaberg/Childers folks. Get out to Lake Gregory (aka The Puckpond) & get yourself into them Sleepy Cod. Pretty good chewing I'm told.
Other info on Lake Gregory here > http://www.ausfish.com.au/fitzy/Day@Duckpond.htm

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Katrina
14-03-2002, 05:56 PM
;D Heard they like to be caught as well, is that true, Fitzy?
Katrina
ps, once I find out where it is, might head out there next month, whilst at Baffle

Fitzy
14-03-2002, 06:11 PM
It's almost smack bang inbetween Bundy & Childers. Not on the Goodwood Rd, #on the main highway where you exit the Bruce Hwy at AppleTree Creek.
After you pass the forrestry Stn on your left, about a km or so past that turn right into Voss Rd {dirt} If you cross the Elliot River Bridge you've gone a #hundred meters or so too far. Follow Voss Rd for approx 2-3 km, swerve left at the intersection. Thru the dip & then you'll see a pump shed on your right. Follow that dirt track in to the dam. Sounds complicated but pretty easy to find. I found it with out directions.

No concrete ramp but pretty solid bank. Big weedbeds at times.
Is a very good bass fishery tho it doesn't turn out the big fish like Somerset or Big W do. I've also caught saratoga there so take a fly rod with you.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Katrina
14-03-2002, 06:16 PM
;D Fly rod, what's that? Haven't got one of them. Ha ha ha. Not that tricky. It may be a bit off the track from where we are headed, how long do ya reckon from the Bruce Hwy, (at normal speed, not Fitzy speed ;)). I guess if we don't make this trip, there'll be other trips in the general vicinity. Thanks for the info, I read the article most informative. I'm not worried about boat ramp non-existence. No problemo! Thanks again, Katrina

Fitzy
14-03-2002, 06:45 PM
From memory its 50 km from Childers to Bundaberg, it's almost exactly in the middle, that should make it approx 20 km from the Bruce Highway at AppleTree Creek.
BTW- You don't need a fly rod to catch a saratoga, bit it is a good fun way of getting them.
Bass are the main species there. Take plenty of lures that dive to around 2-3 meters & you'll do fine.

Fitzy..

Katrina
14-03-2002, 06:55 PM
thanks for the info, now it's time to get some sleep. Cheers, Katrina. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz