PDA

View Full Version : RedClaw (The Best Bait Please)

WHITTO
22-03-2002, 03:50 PM
???Could anyone give me some advise on the best bait to use for Redclaw,and is the Opera house type pot the way to go, would appreciate any expertise,Thanks to all in advance,Cheers and good fishing to you all. Whitto :)

Katrina
22-03-2002, 04:03 PM
Hi Whitto, the opera house traps work fine, and I find the best bait is the leftovers from a roast - chicken, bones,spuds, pumpkin, all that kind of stuff. They just love it. Good luck.
Cheers, Katrina ;D

WHITTO
22-03-2002, 04:18 PM
:)Thanks Katrina,who dosn't like a bit of roast chook and 3 veg, will give it a go thanks again Cheers Whitto

krazyfisher
22-03-2002, 04:25 PM
dog food and something for smell fish skins tuna oil
have fun

aussiebasser
23-03-2002, 03:32 PM
Try either Rockmelon, or Pilchards. They both work

imported_admin
23-03-2002, 06:12 PM
Hi

There was a thread on this back in November, try the link below, if that doesn't work do a search on claw in Freswater fishing chat

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=Freshwater;action=display;num=10056 17916;start=0

WHITTO
24-03-2002, 03:55 PM
Thanks Ausfish, seems the little buggars will have a crack at most things, although I think Fitzy gave the big tip with Redclaw being vegetarians. Cheers Whitto

Bullwinkle
26-03-2002, 01:35 PM
How yah's goin? Fitzy's right they are vegetarians, i have done a fair bit of expermenting with bait from Fairburn to Cape York and the best by far is a half boiled spud for me anyway. Give everything a go and take note of what you get the best catches on and there you have it, the best bait for you .

Fitzy
27-03-2002, 05:56 PM
Sounds like its all covered except for getting out there.
Good luck Whitto. Let us know how you go.

Fitzy..

mick
04-04-2002, 10:57 AM
RED CLAW WILL EAT SH*T IF THEY HAVE TO AND AS FOR BEING VEGETARIAN THATS ONLY A CIRCUMSTANCTUAL THING. RED CLAW KILL AND EAT FISH ( IN MY FISH TANK) (BASTARDS). THEY WILL GO AFTER ANYTHING SMELLY. I HAVE HEARD SOAP WORKS BUT HAVENT HAD ANY LUCK WITH IT MYSELF. I FIND ANY SORT OF MEAT OR VEGE WORKS, IVE EVEN CAUGHT THEM ON STRAWBERRY AND CREAM LOLLIES. I THINK SPUDS ARE THE EASYEST AND WORK WELL. THEY TEND TO LIVE IN COMMUNITIES SO WHERE YOU PUT YOUR POT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE BAIT. THEY ARE ALSO A LOT MORE ACTIVE AT NIGHT.

GOOD LUCK

Rosso
02-05-2002, 11:53 AM
I think I asked this question some time ago, but basically boiled potato works the best as nothing else will go in after it (ie turtles)

Regards,

Rosso

Fozz
03-05-2002, 06:43 AM
In the West we have Gillgies , very similar to Redclaw & we use chicken pellets in an old sock with a couple of holes stabbed in it . It works a treat , happy fish'n .
Regards Fozz .