PDA

View Full Version : Peter Faust Dam

sooty_mad
11-08-2002, 11:38 AM
Instead of making my annual pilgrimage to Hinchinbrook, this year I am planning on spending a week on the dams in the Mackay Proserpine region. As the only week I can get off work is the first week of October, I am concerned that this may still be too cold for decent fishing. Any comments???
As I have never fished this area before, I would appreciate any advice.
Regards... David

krazyfisher
11-08-2002, 12:07 PM
At that time of the year it can be hot and the fish can be quite active but it is a each way bet. It will still be good. Just remember faust is not the only dam and there are some good ones around mackay. The best way is closer to the date find someone in mackay to find out which of the dams are firering. Send me a message and I will help where I can I fish these dams at times. By the way if you are worried about the cold last weekend while luring a 90cm and 95cm barra was brought on to the bank.

StuH
12-08-2002, 01:32 AM
David,
Definately give Teemburra a go.
A mate who lives in Mackay and I went here on the Queen's B'day w/e, had a great day out and picked up a nice barra and a couple of solid sooties on spearheads.
Not a lot of facilities and a 25hp limit but a great looking fishery.
The latest edition of Modern Fishing has an excellent artical on Mackay Sooties.

Brett_Finger
14-08-2002, 03:51 PM
Sooty,
mate have a look at,
www.barramundicharters.com.au
this sit eis a mate's of mine who guides on the dam.
hookin,Brett

sooty
21-08-2002, 10:33 AM
Can you make it here 10th to 13th Oct as i need a team mate for Lake Prosserpine Comp Entry $295-00.
Sooty

Brett_Finger
21-08-2002, 05:30 PM
Sooty,
don't know if that was directed at me,but am already fishing the comp,see ya there.
Hookin,Brett

Robo
25-08-2002, 03:31 PM
Hi Mate, the water at Peter Faust Dam is allready warming up with parts of the Dam reaching 24+ degrees, I have had reports of a fair few Barra caught in the last couple of weeks, a few over the metre mark as well. Leading up to your week away you may want to check out http://www.peterfaustdam.com to see what is happening on the reports page or ring Proserpine Bait & tackle they should be able to help you out.

Brett_Finger
25-08-2002, 05:01 PM
Robbo,
just went to the peter faust dam site for a look,a very informative site !!
well worth a look at for anyone hopeing to head there to chase Australias Premier Sportsfish,looks like the stocking groupe has dona a fantastic job putting the lake on the map...
Hookin,Brett

Robo
25-08-2002, 05:31 PM
Thanks Brett,
Lookin forward to having a beer with you at the comp in October

Dave

Brett_Finger
25-08-2002, 06:11 PM
Robbo,
Oooooooooh Yaaaaaaaaaah !!!!!
Hookin,The Big Fella!!

Robo
28-08-2002, 05:22 PM
Hi Sooty, Have you found anyone to fish the comp with yet?? Just wondering.
I am not available, I am the guy who sent you the invite.
I could scout around if you are still looking, you never no someone in the stocking group might no off someone in the same boat as you. Let me no and I will get onto it straight away.

Tight Lines
Dave

sooty_mad
29-08-2002, 04:22 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of the advice.

Sooty, (if your invite was directed at me) I won't be able to fish the comp. I can only get the week before off work. However, thankyou kindly for the invite. Sorry about being so slack about getting back to you but I have only just returned from two weeks work in China.

I know this may sound a strange question, but is it possible (on Peter Faust Dam) to target Sooties only or is their habitat and eating patterns the same as the Barra on the dam?

If possible I would like to target particular species on particular days. Am I kidding myself or what???

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards... David (Sooty_mad)

Brett_Finger
29-08-2002, 03:33 PM
Sooty,
mate it sure is possible to target sootys!!
look for the shags nests!
have seen fish as big a 4kg come out of there myself!
fished with Harro a couple of times and we had sucess useing gold bombers,but i know some of the boys have had good fishing with spinnerbaits as well as soft plastics...
plenty of tricks to try!!!
Hookin,Brett

Robo
08-09-2002, 05:54 PM
Biggest Sooty I have seen in the Dam was 58cm long, I have seen a photo of one a bit bigger but that was only guessing, could of been 60cm?. Heaviest I have wieghed in for the sportfishing club was 5.5kg's.
I wonder when they stop growing?

Tight Lines
Robbo

Brett_Finger
09-09-2002, 02:53 AM
Robbo,
Maaaaaaaaaate, lets hope thay just keep growing ;D ;D ;D
just think.... a 10kg sooty in the sticks !!! now that's what i'm talking about. :o :o :o :o :o :P
got a few nice sootys at secert spot 7g on friday,best @2kg only :'(
but at least there sootys!!
Hookin,Brett

sooty
09-09-2002, 05:23 PM
Robo,
Sorry for being so slack in getting back to you. No still don't have a definate team mate as yet am waiting on a couple of people so if you hear of anyone it is first in gets the ride.
Thanks ,
Sooty (Kev)

Robo
09-09-2002, 05:39 PM
No Worries Kev,
I will keep my ear to the ground.

Tight lines
Dave