PDA

View Full Version : bite detectors

Andrew
21-11-2002, 08:42 AM
G'day freshwater fishos, I was wondering if any of you, who might have some coarse fishing background, might know where in Australia I can buy an electronic bite detector? They are used OS for carp, but I want a couple for estuary jew fishing with baitrunners off the bank at night.
I already emailed Tonkers in Victoria and await their reply - any other sources appreciated, Andrew.

Rosso
22-11-2002, 03:16 PM
Erm..

A little bit more info might be required. What *is* an electronic bite detector? You cannot honestly tell me that you don't hold onto your line to feel the bites and whatnot?

You require a device to tell you that a fish is on your line? Geez, why don't you just chuck some C4 into the water and be done with it!

Rosso.

Andrew
22-11-2002, 06:29 PM
A bite detector sits between your baitrunner and the first runner and detects the minutest movement of your line on a set rod. It has a light and a beeper. Some have a pager. Some styles of fishing require a long wait at night and although it is fine to say you should always hold the rod it is not always practical. And if you want to go for various species at the same time, as I do, it is impossible to hold all the rods at once.

I put out a big baitrunner for big jewfish and a medium baitrunner for schoolies/big bream/flat head/tailor/salmon and spin for jewies on a 10 kilo stick or catch more FRESH bait or fish for luderick/whiting/bream with a 4 kilo outfit while I wait. Maybe a bit busier than what you are used to Rosso? If a bait goes off while I am busy else where I want to know straight away so an alarm is going to be very useful. Heaps of jewies are lost because of not holding the rod. An alarm means I can still fish for all the other easier/more avaliable fish while I wait for the big jewie.

Great idea for freshwater fishos who camp near the water as you can leave a couple of rods set and have a nap, the alarm will wake you if you get any interest. That means you are fishing twenty four hours a day so don't waste any of your precious time off.

Regards, Andrew.