PDA

View Full Version : QLD vs. NSW

bo_sawyer
14-09-2002, 03:16 PM
This topic is argued quite often, and the answer always seems to lean towards NSW. So i thought i'd get the Queenslanders opinions on the matter instead of the blues.

Quinny69
15-09-2002, 05:16 AM
Barra, Sooties, Toga where is the argument? As far as Bass, Goldens and Bloody Silvers We got more and threre BIGGER............Matt Q

bo_sawyer
15-09-2002, 06:12 AM
hey Quinny,
thanx mate, exactly what i wanted to hear. Queensland has a lot more freshwater species than the blues, and we do have(around 6 i think) barra records(in different weight divisions)
Bo Sawyer

brendan
15-09-2002, 01:50 PM
How can you say to anyone that we have better than Barra, soooty's jungle perch, toga and more. WE also get the species that the blues rave about anyway, but honestly how can you compare to a Queenslander freshwater fisherman

spinna
15-09-2002, 05:08 PM
yeah yeah you may have barra ,sotties,and toga butthey have nothin on the great murrycod 8) :D ;) :) well thats all i have to say.

cheers spinna ;) 8)

Harrya
16-09-2002, 03:03 AM
Oh Did someone forget We Have MurryCod as well
Lol Lol
Harrya

bo_sawyer
16-09-2002, 12:58 PM
HAHAHA!!
very true Harrya, and i'd rather a 20kg barra than a 20kg Cod any day!!!And a big toga on fly would be just as good. Not to mention those Beaut' lil' Jungle Perch. The Blues obviously haven't fished our great waters.
Bo Sawyer

bo_sawyer
17-09-2002, 01:43 PM
haha
we win the state of origin, and we're wining this poll!! ;D
Bo

Gazza
23-09-2002, 04:40 AM
Qld by a country mile!! :P

Chuck in 'Freedom of Choice' to fish the rivers for free , and/or pay $35 for the SIP (110% support the concept) ,we win ::) hands down!!

And after watching last night's Basketball score 40-24, I mean, NRL game, they may be able to score ,but they can't defend............

Let's go , B-R-O-N-C-O !!
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif

Regards
Gazza

bassmansrc
24-09-2002, 07:48 AM
NSW,

Bass, Murray Cod, Silver Perch, Yellowbelly, Macquarie Perch, Rainbow Trout,Brown Trout, Salmon, Mangrove Jack, Catfish & the list goes on & on & on with a number of introduced species aswell yep there is a lot in NSW unfortunately QLD has a bigger variety of natives( which is my passion ). But in NSW we have some cooler water fish which provide plenty of sport of a different ilk.
It's great fishing freshwater in both states. I travel around with work alot & get to fish all over Australia. the worst state for freshwater fishing is W.A. followed by Victoria, SA, Tasmania. There is hardly a struck match between QLD & NSW. But really QLD should be cut in 2, South East QLD & the rest of QLD. Let's face it you can't seriously barramundi fish with in an hour or 2 of a top bass spot & vica versa.
I'll put it this way I had the choice of moving to Sth.East QLD with work. I chose not to for fishing reasons both for salt & freshwater, nut when I come with work or for holidays I always pack a rod.

There aint much between the states except you guys have that annoying banded grunter which annoys the hell out of me.

Regards
Steve

lordy
24-09-2002, 09:01 AM
SA ahead of WA and Vic? I'd rate SA as the worst of the freshwater states. All they have is the ass end of the Murray and a couple of tiny trout streams. SW of WA has a few nice little trout rivers, while the north has barra. The Vics have some good trout waters, a few nice dams and some natives. Tas has great trout waters.

Qld has all the southern species except trout and all the northern species. Well actually we do have trout, but its not worth mentioning. Wins hands down. SEQ has great bass/yellow impoundments too, something like 12+ good impoundments within 150kms of Brisbane. Plenty of cod stocked in southern Qld too. Just a little further north and you get bass and barra in the same dam! I'm just waiting for jacks to hit the SEQ impoundments, its going to be revolutionary.

bassmansrc
24-09-2002, 09:56 AM
Only going on my experiences. I have caught more fish with less effort in SA than in Vic & WA. WA has some trout & redfin that's about it, for freshwater fishing WA sucks.
SA & Vic arte close but the fishig pressure in Vic is much mor severe & I have found cod & trout easier to catch in SA.

Regards
Steve

bo_sawyer
24-09-2002, 12:56 PM
hey guys,
QLD
barras, togas, grunter, bass, perch, murray cod etc
NSW
redfin, perch, bass, cod
NT
barras, other tropical freshwater species.
WA
barras , other tropical freshwater species.
Am i missing something here!?!?! We have one of the most sort after fish in Australia!!!! Barras
And don't go on about your murray cod, barras beat them anyday.

Muzzy
26-09-2002, 10:15 AM
No STATE has the best freshwater fishing...

its in the territory ;D

Flynny
04-10-2002, 09:04 PM
Yeah
But we don't generally talk about catfisj
Flynny

Mattman
05-10-2002, 04:39 PM
Hi

Us Qlders has Barra, bass, togas, yellowbelly, barcoo grunter, mary river cod, murray cod, silver perch, sleepy cod, sooty grunter, mangrove jack, jungle perch, longtom and more.

While the NSW people might argue that they have trout and we don't but we can hold our heads up high and say Well we have barra, togas and sootys so ha.

Cheers Matt.

bo_sawyer
19-10-2002, 02:32 PM
Thats right matt....
And good call Flynny, but NT do have some good species.
Cheers.

bassman
20-10-2002, 03:28 AM
Right on:
BASMANSRC is the only one that has actually written from the heart. Good on U mate. I agree with U you 100%. I reckon SE QLD runs second to NSW and Nth QLD is third.

bo_sawyer
20-10-2002, 04:51 AM
sure sure mate we all know QLD has got the better species. Use have only the trout and murray cod to brag about ;)

Rosso
28-11-2002, 07:39 AM
Personally I think NSW.

Yes we do have bigger fish, but (correct me if im wrong) the licencing is better.

Here you can only get a week or year (for $35). Down there you can get 1,2 or 3 years (the latter being $75)

That covers every fishing, while the cost up here only goes to *some* impoundments (and not all)

However the bottom line is we all like fishing and its the ones who take bucket loads of fish instead of the bag limits (or less) should be stoped.

If they keep doing that then there will be no fish for anyone.

This happens in both states (and I have seen it)

Rosso.

Big_Bass_Fisherman
24-03-2003, 10:49 AM
If your talking just about the fish everyone has forgot about the eastern freshwater cod it is a native to two rivers in northern NSW it grows alot bigger than murrays and barras and its a lot better lookin 8),
but it is illegal to catch in the rivers, though it is in some dams that you are aloud to catch them in and boy can they fight.
So do you QLD's have a fish that good.
Regards
BBF

Fitzy
16-05-2003, 05:52 PM
While the NSW people might argue that they have trout and we don't but #we can hold our heads up high and say Well we have #barra, togas and sootys so ha.

Cheers Matt.
Who says we aint got trout in Qld. They're here if you know where to look & can get access to em. Hardly anyone knows or bothers too much when there's so much other good fishing close by.
Also got blackfish up here too. ;D

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Randall
17-05-2003, 04:13 AM
Look for a cold, deep, secluded and non-used water hey Fitz!! ::)

RG

Mattman
18-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Hi Fellas

Fitzy, I am know aware of my mistake as i have read that there is trout in queensland :o. I suspect they are down in behind Killarney. Can you confirm this? ???
Thanx for pointing out my mistake ;D
Cheers Matt ;D

caveman
19-05-2003, 01:58 PM
QUEENSLAND ALL THE WAY WE UM BARRAAAAAAAAA & UM BARRA & BARRA OH DID I MENTION WE HAVE BARRA
I LIVE IN WARWICK AND AM YET TO CONFIRM IF THERE IS ENOUGH TROUT NEARBY TO CATCH A RELEASE A FEW

CHEERS GARY

fishy_phil
19-05-2003, 04:42 PM
just to point out a mistake by BBF, eastern freshwater cod, DO NOT grow bigger than murray cod the biggestt murray cod was 113kg where as the biggest eastern was only just under 50kg.....seems like a mistake to me!!! also about the fighting qualities, they are nothing special, hardly worth the effort really. i hooked one in the orara river last year on 4lb fire line and had it not of been for the trace wearing through i would have landed the fish with no hassles, admittedly i was in a canoe but i was by myself and the canoe is 17.5 feet long try handling that on your own with a big fish attatched and nothing but paddle power it is quite streuous, oh yeah did i mention it was about 20kg??? and about them being native to only 2 rivers in northern NSW is just bull there are confirmed reports of them being in both the shoalhaven and the nepean system and the fisheries mob know about them as well, how do i know? they have been caught in the wollemi national park in some of the upper tributaries of the colo river. and when confronted about it they denied it but then said that any cod were to be released. if they were not trout cod which are easily recognisable, or easterns which they denied were in the system, what are they murrays? but arent they a legal catch?
and on the subject of the better fw fishing in qld or NSW how about you look at it from a differant perspective which state has the best NATURAL fisheries ie unstocked rivers and places other than stocked impoundments. it is just as simple as this...QLD has tilapia and NSW dont.
think about it
phil

stilltryin
24-05-2003, 03:42 PM
bl##dy cockroach

bassman
15-06-2003, 12:05 AM
Lets give them this one guys. They cant play footy if they tried, so give the QLDers a break we ALL know they have NO wild BASS in QLD, only hatchery fish and they fight like they play footy. 2 quick runs and they turn belly up. Hang on was I talking about their fish or their footballers Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!

Mattman
15-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Who says we don't have wild bass in qld ? ;D ;D

Bass are available in many souther rivers if you're willing to persevere and try a number of different options, but I don't know, maybe yous only have i way of catching fish as yous have one person on ya footy team who can play footy. ;D
;)

And who has won the last 2 series. Without Johns yous would lose 3-0 instead of 2-1. Yous have 250 players to choose 17 players from and we have 50 to choose 17. And we still beat ya most of the time. ;D ;D

cheers matt

Kilkenny
17-06-2003, 02:25 AM
Hey there Big Q, we aint got any trout up here to brag about like they got down south.
My vote went to the blues for this one ..
Kilkenny

Rosso
17-06-2003, 05:45 AM
Like I said earlier, NSW is a better place.

Yes QLD does have some large bass, but you can spend all weekend at the BP fishing for them and catch nothing. However, you can spend one morning on the Nepean gorge and catch about 6. They are small, but they still fight!

Oh yeah. I had my blue shirt on the other night at work. Just about everyone was going for QLD and weren't happy when NSW won!

But don't worry, QLD will win the next game so there is a reason to sell tickets for the third performance...er match!

Rosso.

Quinny69
17-06-2003, 10:41 AM
QLD has no wild Bass????What crud,,,,,,,The Noosa (and a few more creeks) prob has the most pure wild scrapers going, tottally un touched.As for Troot, Well we got Togas, Like a big brownie only NATIVE........MQ

lordy
17-06-2003, 01:56 PM
All this talk of bass, don't forget we have Jungle Perch (Kuhlia rupestri). As for Bass in rivers, just go looking you will find plenty (try the Brissy above Mt Crosby).

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/2579.html

As for the Tilapia well at least they are edible unlike #carp.

NSW v Qld

Murray Cod v Murray Cod
Eastern Cod #v Mary Cod
Bass v Bass
Estuary Perch v Jungle Perch
Silver Perch v Silver Perch
Yellows v Yellows
Eel-tail Catty v Eel-tail Catty

NSW Wins
Trout (I wouldn't count the Qld population)

Qld Wins
Barra
Sooty
Toga
Sleepy Cod
Fork-tail Catty
Barcoo Grunter
Archerfish

Trout Cod & Lung fish excluded as protected.

And in about 5-10 years you will be able to come catch some little 20+lb jacks in these dams.

Mattman
17-06-2003, 04:14 PM
and i can't wait either for the jacks to show up. 8)

qld has the best range of species available and you cochroaches will just have to accept it. So you blues don't brag bout nothin until you pull a 50lb barra out of one of your dams. ;D ;D

cheers matt

swano
18-06-2003, 05:58 PM
hey there matt , cast your peepers at fresh photos(fish of a life time) but to me being a southerner you guys do have the goods when it comes to quality fishing ,,,,,,,,, but ya's suk at footy (lol). ;)

bassman
19-06-2003, 01:54 AM
Ok guys I better define my "WILD" bass statement!!!!]
My local fishing hole is "The Gorge" on the Clarence River. Need I say more!!!!
Id like to catch a 50cm plus wild bass from Qld, but I wont be holding my breath :-X :-X :-X

lordy
19-06-2003, 07:04 AM
Bassman, go fish the Brissy below Wivenhoe and above Colleges. Fair chance you will get a nice sized river fish.

Quinny69
20-06-2003, 10:15 AM
The Brissy fish are stockys that just did the big leap over the dam wall(s).I thaught that the Clarence was also being stocked?(Topped up). Real Wild fish are preety rare these days. PS I could be wrong about the Clarrence but Im sure Ive heared that somewere. MQ

lordy
20-06-2003, 02:59 PM
The Brissy fish are stockys that just did the big leap over the dam wall(s).I thaught that the Clarence was also being stocked?(Topped up). Real Wild fish are preety rare these days. PS #I could be wrong about the Clarrence but Im sure Ive heared that somewere. MQ

Sure the Brissy River bass are stocked but only as fingerlings. The fish grow up wild and free and behave in exactly the same way as natural born wild bass. The Brissy River is actually stocked by the BVA Brisbane Valley Anglers, so they aren't all fat dam escapies.

Quinny69
20-06-2003, 04:11 PM
Sorry, Missunderstood,,,,.Im not complaining, its great that we can fish for fat tough impoundment fish in our creeks after alot of rain puts them there.Fishing a creek is alot more simple however so those fish that end up in the creek dont last(some of) the locals onslaught .Saw hunderds of trophy bass get killed a few yrs back when North Pine spilt over. >:( Im heading off on a tangent here,Oh well MQ

fishy_phil
23-06-2003, 01:18 PM
yeah but tilapia have to be destroyed and pose a greater ecological threat than carp as they can live in salt and freshwater and even though you can eat ilapia is against the law!!!! btw i think this is absolutely bloody stupid!!!
yeah but youse have both carp and tilapia....and piranha, and all matter of blood pests...what does nsw have carp n redfin...oh yeah the biggest bass i ever caught wasnt a dam fish it was a wild fish....and at 72 cm total length id go to say there aint too many fish caught like this every day!!!
cheers
phil

youngfisher
22-07-2003, 12:49 PM
If you Queenslanders think we brag to much about our cod and trout well how bout you and your bloody barra thats the only fish you guys are good for besides which is better a 20kilo barra or a 45 kilo cod?