PDA

View Full Version : Wivenho !

Cloud_9
18-05-2005, 05:29 AM
Fished the Big W saturday ???
took a mate from the fishing club for the ledgendary big bass grounds of the Big W.
started out with lots of promise real big boils all round the boat. and im talkin huge fish bustin the surface, fish all over the sounder.
but in the fishing stakes that doesn't mean your going to catch a fish does it. :-[
we threw everything we had for 1 barred grunter.
the wind was a pain as well. 20-25+ of SW we got nice an wet and cold comein back up logans inlet into the 1/2metre chop. fished my new Calcutta 50XT loaded with that new XDS fireline in 8Lb
its so damb fine i had lots of trouble tieing the leader on.
At 0.13mm Dia or 0.005" in the old money thats extreimly fine Diameter it cast well too.
fished my Jackall off this rig with allmost catastrofic results, first cast i forgot about the line i was trolling and on the back swing the jackall was cut off clean by the 4lb fireline on the trolling rig.( cut through 20Lb vanish), i thought crap $40 down the drain. but wait there's more .
i thought for a second and then reeled in the trolled beetle spin to find the Lucky'est Jackall in my box. it snagged on the jig at the bottom of the 4Lb . ;D

only pic from today is the lucky jackall.
Cheers Cloud 9

aussiebasser
19-05-2005, 02:56 PM
$40 for a Jackall??? Ya shoppin' in the wrong place.
I went out on Sunday with a few mates. I ended up with 4 to 51cm, and a 52cm Yella. My brother got 53, 54 and 55cm Bass in about 5 minutes. He got half a dozen others too. 'nother mate got a fair few and a coupla huge yella's.

Those boils around your boat are probably Lung Fish, scare hell outta ya sometimes.

Cloud_9
19-05-2005, 03:46 PM
here is the pic of the jackall.
i hope.

Cloud_9
19-05-2005, 03:55 PM
i know you can get 2 for 50 bucks now but when they came out $40 was the cost.
i dont like the new rubber 1's they melt if they touch other plastics, like atomics or squidgies.
mite try to post the XDS line pic again.

Cheers Cloud 9

Chuong
20-05-2005, 06:02 AM
Aussiebasser,

I'm assuming it was you driving around the camping area Sunday morning? Red boat with an aussiebasser sticker?
I'm pretty sure I saw Fitzy aswell.

We got a couple of goldens and a bass in three hours. Seemed the area has changed since last time I was there. Couldn't figure out where the main lake goes north?? [smiley=confused.gif]

aussiebasser
21-05-2005, 05:33 PM
Couldn't have been me mate, I never go out there. :-[

We didn't get many on Sunday, but I found a few today. This is a 52 I got about lunch time, which I would have been eating 'cept I left it at home. Long day with no tucker, raw bass were starting to look apertising.

21-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Hey dale,

What baitcaster is that as pictured in your pic above?
Is it a quantum?

Cloud_9
21-05-2005, 06:03 PM
looks more like the new Daiwa !
fat Mutha fu##er Bass too.
is that casting the bank or what??
Cheers Cloud 9

aussiebasser
22-05-2005, 01:21 AM
It's a Daiwa Fuego. #(Pronounced Foo Ay Go, I'm told.) #Sweet little reel, matched up to an Egrell Woomera 1-3kg rod it's a great outfit for casting lures at the banks. #I just wish it was mine :'(

Cloud_9
22-05-2005, 12:23 PM
is that the way to attack big W cast the banks in the morning and troll or fish the deep later in the day??
last trip was a dud.
maybe monday will be better?

Cheers cloud 9

Fitzy
24-05-2005, 02:09 PM
The Woomera are a top class rod,, nothing better IMHO. & in a combo with the Fuego reels they're even better. ;D
Chuongy, you mita seen me out there, been doing a bit at Big W lately, but keeping results on the qt. With 3 electric comps there this winter (1 to go now) I'm not giving away too much atm.
Will say that I took the new girl friend out there last week for her 2nd ever fishing trip, she boated some good fish with a couple of 55cm bass & some bigger yellas. She recons this bass fishing is all too easy. ::) If she only knew..........

Fitz

24-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Are these woomera rods a custom rod of some sort?

aussiebasser
24-05-2005, 06:44 PM
The Woomeras have only just been released on the market. They feature the work of Eric Grell, one of the best rod builders around, and local legend Rod Harrison has had a lot of input into the design. You'll find the full range at Motorama Springwood Marine, and other good tackle suppliers. The ergonomically designed handle is great for a big day's casting. The one in the pic is actually an outfit that Garry loaned me, without his knowledge. It is a 6 foot 2-4kg Baitcaster for 1/8 to 3/8oz lures. Probably the sweetest Bass rod I've used. I've taken 4 50cm+ Bass on it in the last two outings, so Fitz could have a few problems getting it back off me. I've been using a 4-6kg version for about 6 months now, and landed Murray Cod at Mulwala, Barra at Awoonga and Bass at Wivenhoe on it. It's nice to catch aussie fish on an aussie designed rod.

24-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Thanx for that Dale. How much do the rods retail for approximately ?

aussiebasser
24-05-2005, 07:09 PM
They are not cheap, but comparible with other top shelf units at around the $400 mark. These are not a mass produced rod, the workmanship that goes in to each one is impressive, but if you've ever met Eric Grell, you'll know he wouldn't put his name on anything that wasn't top class.

Chuong
25-05-2005, 05:24 AM
Fitzy,

Does your boat have a toga sticker on it? I was the canoe coming back to the boat ramp at the same time as you.

My girlfriend thinks it's all too easy aswell. She brings a magazine, casts when she thinks there's fish around somehow seems to regularly kick my butt [smiley=stunned.gif], not just in the fresh either [smiley=blush.gif] .