PDA

View Full Version : What new boat - Impoundment Work??

Dehydrated
19-09-2005, 04:41 PM
It is nearly time for me to look at a new boat as the old tinny needs upgrading. Just looking to get some feedback on what everyone reckons is the best boat for tackling the impoundments and maybe some light estuary work at times. I have been looking at many Barra/Bass style boats around the 4.5 to 5 metre size but don't know much about them. Any pics would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Don.

elephrez1
19-09-2005, 05:29 PM
hey mate,

I havn't got a boat but when I get one I will be going for a QUINTREX 435 HORNET TROPHY .

Check out their web site. www.quintrex.com.au

cheers elephrez1

Elysium
19-09-2005, 05:54 PM
I know its a bit smaller than you are looking at, but I have a 385 quintrex explorer trophy...the hull design on these are (in my opinion) second to none, and that does carry over to the hornets.

So as said above...you cant go past the hornets for a ali bass boat...but for ideal luxury...step into a f/glass craft.

TonyM
19-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Hi Don,

Make sure you take a look at the Polycraft boats. They are very quiet (you'll be amazed) and help a lot when stealth is important - and it's about the most important thing as far as I'm concerned.

It's also stronger than both extruded alloy and fibreglass, and you can enjoy yourself fishing without worrying about dry rot or osmosis eating away at your boat #;)

stingermuz
19-09-2005, 06:30 PM
I've been dreaming lately......

These are from the USA, I don't know if we can get them here, I think haines signature do one similar.

McCod
19-09-2005, 10:28 PM
There is a lot to chose from out there... and big variation in $$$. Seajay do a nice 4.5 mtr Nomad and will customize the deck etc to suit your needs... Quntrex do a Hornet Trophy in 4.55, 4.75, and 5.00 mtrs and are good boats.... but im not keen on the pods out the back... a new 4.35 Hornet Trophy has just as much room in it as the 4.55 mtr job and the 4.35 #can be pushed with a 40 hp 4 stroke wich would be economical.
Polycraft is worth a look also.... but with the duel skinned hull there is not a lot of storage room unless you get some mods like hod lockers etc. Then ya got the fiberglass boats.... depends on ya needs and ya wants and how much folding stuff ya got to spend. I think if i was gunna buy a impoundment boat tomorow for the type of stuff i do it would be a 4.35 Hornet Trophy or 4.1 mtr Polycraft challenger with some mods to the casting deck , rod lockers etc.

Cheers Les

bigdan123
19-09-2005, 11:23 PM
hi don
another great barra/bass boat is the edgetracker
mine is the 4.25mt with a 2.0mt beam (very stable), they also come in 4.35 and 4.75

dan

Kingo
20-09-2005, 07:12 AM
bought and allycraft and love it.

Kingo
20-09-2005, 07:12 AM
and again

scott_b
20-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Gday Don
Mate everyone has there own ideas on the best dam boat but don't forget it can blow up windy fast and you my have an unexpected rough ride back to the boatramp.
wamjam

Mossie
20-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Don
My Bass/Barra boat is a 4.00mt Edgetracker (Tournement) fitted with a 50 Honda and 55 bow mount MinKoda. Its good and stable and reasonable dry. Whilst Stessel does not exist any more I beleive Mako are building the Edgetrackers. You could do a lot worst than one of these.

Mossie

wheezer
20-09-2005, 01:07 PM
I also have a Stessl 425 Edgetracker, bought it mainly because of the super wide 2m beam. Fitted it out with full custom floors and decks etc and absolutely love it! If I could do it again though I would've gone for the 435 as it has a bit more freeboard and a 3mm bottom instead of 2mm. I believe Stessl has been bought and is continuing to make these boats. I would not buy one from Makocraft after what happened with Stessl.

Dehydrated
20-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Wamjam has a good point. Please also comment on how these style of boats handle a bit of chop on a windy day on the dam or if you take them out in the estuary.

Cheers
Don.

TonyM
20-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Hi Don,

That's where it gets challenging to find the balance between a hull that is stable at rest and small enough to get into tricky areas amongst trees etc, VS the need for comfort in weather

Personally I believe the Polys are in a league of there own in this regard too (I've ordered one) although because I fish in the briney a lot too I have opted for a 5.3 m boat that I can take offshore comfortably in most conditions, plus I can sneak into impoundments and will be comfy, however it won't get into all the nooks and crannies I'd like to (that's why I'll be getting a 3m Poly Tender later on to tow behind the 5.30) ;)

If I was fishing purely in impoundments (or at least rarely in the salt) I probably would get a 4.1m Poly, or one of the excellent Bass/Bream boats that a few of the guys have shown. They sure are fitted out nicely and are purpose built fishing machines.

As I have 3 kids and an adorable wife I wanted some benefits for my family as well - sure was tempting to go for a pure fishing rig though :D

Dehydrated
20-09-2005, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the comments and ideas so far. You guys sure have some nice setups. It must make for great fishing with plenty of comfort. Looks like the edgetrackers and polycrafts are the most popular, so this will make a good starting point for pricing.

If anyone else has other ideas, let me know.

Thanks again.
Don.

macca
20-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Don

You have to price the Hornets.

Heaps of options to make it how you want it.

I have had one for two years, I will not be parting with it for a long time.
Great to fish from and yes can handle the rough stuff with ease!

Heaps of room to fish from and extremely stable.

Ever person I take fishing with me wants one as well.

If you want some pics pm me.

Macca

scott_b
21-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Gday Don
Mate I've only got a 3.95 Stessco with pretty deap sides and V front . Handles choppy dams fairly good and small enough to launch by myself ,great in the timber with the bowmount . If you plan on spending a bit more those Hornets seem to cut the choppy water nicely and look very stable, I have never been in one but they look to do it easy.
wamjam

warrior
21-09-2005, 03:50 PM
wamjam hit the nail on the head,it does blow up a lot all the hornets and edgetrackers are great but i chose a bluefin 4.5 warrior ,it has higher sides for bay fishing 3mm sides and4mm bottom i fish for bass and barra and it is a dream to manouvre around in the dams.the prices are the best around for a boat that size.give them a look well worth it.

craigie
21-09-2005, 06:29 PM
G'day Don,

Plenty of boats out there that do the Impondment thing very well, just spend a weekend at any of our more popular dams and note all the various models/brands buzzing around.

My current rig is a Cyclone 540, side console. Fitted up with a front casting platform it makes a great boat for working lures in the sweetwater (also very good for slugging macks around Moreton Bay 8-)).
The Fibreglass hull on these things just love a bit of chop on the water, and with 115 Horsies on the Transom, you have power to burn !!
At this stage, I'm not kitted up with a bow-mount electric, although I know of other owners who are and are having the time of their lives 8-).
Certainly a more expensive way to fish (in comparison to a tinnie) but you'll get it back in thrills ;)

Cheers
Craigie.

Dehydrated
23-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I will make some enquiries and get the ball rolling. May seek further advice when making the final decision.

Cheers
Don.

Awoonga
24-09-2005, 06:20 AM
Gee guys l only got a Quintrex 3.75 its a bathtub/ dozer boat it knocks the trees out of the way when l fish Monduran...and when l want a bath.just go out in the wind at Awoonga best of both worlds ;D ;D ;D...

Sniper
24-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Don,
I've been in a few different styles of Bass boats this year having fished the Queensland rounds of the ABT Bass Tournament series. The Best one Ive been in so far is the Skeeters. Well fishing boats, handle well and go like hell. Plus they don't get blown around to much because of the low sides. I myself own a 435 Hornet which handles the rough stuff just great. Have also been in Peter Morgan's alloy Triton, Bluefin and a Fullboar. All great fishing boats and decked out really well. If you can, go for a run in as many different types. Being a non-boater in these comps is great. Get to be in all these different boats. If money was no object, I'd be getting a 20 odd foot Skeeter. My 2 cents worth.
Happy hunting.
Bill
[smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif]

Dehydrated
25-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Thanks Bill. Good idea to try and sample as many boats as possible. The only way to find out for yourself I guess.

Cheers
Don.

Pash67
25-09-2005, 07:27 AM
If I was allowed to buy new it would be a hornet for me. Love the ride and stability. Sometimes too wide is a hinderance around the sticks. I went in to buy a new 435 hornet and came out with a '96 model 4.2 Quintrex Seaman (Top Ender) complete with bow mount, full floor, pedistal seats, casting platform & underfloor tank for less than half the price. Still have the same fun & have high sides and a flared bow. Excellant boat.

Don't right off some of the older models.

Adrian